ST Forum: Low Explains Comments On Media

Vulcann

Check out the response at the end...

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_804757.html

HOUGANG BY-ELECTION

Low explains comments on media

ST_20120530_30HOUGANGPIC_3139182e.jpg

I SHARE the editorial writer's view that 'anyone who claims to promote the idea of a First World democracy should take care to uphold its institutions, including the media' ('Fallout from the Hougang showdown'; yesterday).

At the by-election public rally last Thursday, I said: 'The media is a potentially powerful tool for or against certain political parties. Therefore, it is imperative that the media must become a reliable source of information for the people, independent from the strong influence of the Government... We must not allow the media to be used by the Government as a political tool.'

At the press conference last Saturday night, I reiterated that only with an independent media that presents fair and accurate information, can the people make an informed choice of their Member of Parliament.

In the recent campaign, I detected biased reporting, calculated to damage the Workers' Party (WP) candidate and the party itself. For example, the front page of The Straits Times last Wednesday showed a large photo of party chairman Sylvia Lim and myself talking to each other with grim faces at our rally, with the candidate in between, with the headline 'WP faces allegations of dishonesty'. This was after the accusations had already been publicly clarified.

The writer is wrong to suggest that I am unhappy because there were adverse reports about WP. I welcome scrutiny of WP, but when images and headlines are manipulated to mislead readers, is it acceptable?

The media also reported unverified news and anonymous opinions. In Lianhe Zaobao on Monday, I cited the front-page report by my paper last Thursday, featuring an e-mail interview with the 'Secret Squirrel', who claimed to be a WP member, attacking WP.

I have asked my paper whether it has established and verified the identity of 'Secret Squirrel'.

Based on my 30 years' experience in Singapore politics, I am well aware of the critical role the media can play towards a First World democratic society.

The recent reportage of the Hougang by-election leaves me concerned. The media can become a stumbling block to the progress of democracy in Singapore and set us back by 20 years.

Whether this is unfounded or not, I leave it to Singaporeans to judge.

Low Thia Khiang

Secretary-General

Workers' Party

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST Editor replies: We believe our coverage of the Hougang by-election was balanced and fair.

Mr Low has taken issue with a photo we used on May 23. We picked this as it summed up dramatically the story of that day.

It showed the Workers' Party candidate Png Eng Huat, the man in the middle of the controversy, framed by his party leaders deep in discussion.

The headline accurately referred to the WP 'facing allegations of dishonesty', as was the case from the developments through the day, and which the WP sought to address at its rally.

On the leaked WP memo sent by 'Secret Squirrel', we chose not to run this on the night it was sent to us, so that we could do our own checks on it.

There were also many other allegations swirling about on the Internet about the WP candidate, which we decided not to run as they could not be substantiated.

If indeed we were minded to paint a misleading picture of the WP, as Mr Low charges, we would not have acted with such circumspection.

The morning after his post-election outburst against the media, Mr Low told reporters that his remarks stemmed from a 'feeling' that the mood among

journalists during the campaign was 'not so jubilant' compared to last year's General Election.

That came as a surprise. As professional journalists, we do not see ourselves as cheerleaders for any political party. Our aim is simply to report the news dispassionately and objectively, so that our readers can decide for themselves. That we have done, and will continue to do.

↡ Advertisement

i still think the local media is biased towards the ruling party.

for example, CNA coverage of the WP press conference after the by-election, even before the press conference is over, CNA cut to the live interview by DPM Teo, who rebuts LTK comments made during the press conference.

i mean, why can't CNA record down the interview and broadcast it after the WP press conference is over? I guess we all know the answer.

Turbocharged

for example, CNA coverage of the WP press conference after the by-election, even before the press conference is over, CNA cut to the live interview by DPM Teo, who rebuts LTK comments made during the press conference.

i mean, why can't CNA record down the interview and broadcast it after the WP press conference is over? I guess we all know the answer.

The world ranking ring a bell?... Period.

If you noticed, the subscription of the MSM is going down. they are trying to attract ppl to read, etc etc....but i know of many folks who have given up. they go online, and look for more CREDIBLE media. Only the old folks are still continuing their subscriptions.

I for one, only buy the Saturday edition....lots of paper to clean windows as well as see sales!

Like all newspaper companies in Singapore, SPH is regulated by the Newspaper and Printing Presses Act of 1974 and issues both management and ordinary shares. As specified by the act all issues and transfers of management shares have to be approved by the Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts, and in "any resolution relating to the appointment or dismissal of a director or any member of the staff" the vote of one management share is equivalent to 200 ordinary shares.

There are close ties between the directors of SPH and the Singapore Government. S R Nathan, Director of the Security and Intelligence Division and later President of Singapore served as SPH's Executive Chairman from 1982 to 1988 and the first President (1994

Wat LTK said is already a known fact, the common man already knows it. But LTK took it a step further, finally airing it in public. This is wat I call opposition wif standard. Respect man!

As for the jounalist's reply, we can only say that he needs a job and wants to keep it. If he loses his job, wat's gonna happen to him? Starting to grow a backbone by then wud be too late if he wants to remain in Sin.

Too eager to sa-ka!!?? :D

If you noticed, the subscription of the MSM is going down. they are trying to attract ppl to read, etc etc....but i know of many folks who have given up. they go online, and look for more CREDIBLE media. Only the old folks are still continuing their subscriptions.

I for one, only buy the Saturday edition....lots of paper to clean windows as well as see sales!

Mine I tried pass to construction workers to clean backsides, but they throw it away... What a waste!!?? It does end up polluting the garbage bin at the work sites [:(]

HAr hAR! Only buy the weekend editions of Shitty times, nice read for comics and sports....that's all.

and where to buy underwear and bra right???? [laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

[On the leaked WP memo sent by 'Secret Squirrel', we chose not to run this on the night it was sent to us, so that we could do our own checks on it.

There were also many other allegations swirling about on the Internet about the WP candidate, which we decided not to run as they could not be substantiated]

mypaper also under SPH wat...only its free and more crap. <_<

Turbocharged
(edited)

[On the leaked WP memo sent by 'Secret Squirrel', we chose not to run this on the night it was sent to us, so that we could do our own checks on it.

There were also many other allegations swirling about on the Internet about the WP candidate, which we decided not to run as they could not be substantiated]

mypaper also under SPH wat...only its free and more crap. <_<

he trying to tell you Mypaper is tabloid paper lah. :D

anyway he is ST editor, maybe ST and MYpaper are different department.

Edited by Joseph22

Bias in the press is common world wide. Murdoch has had more influence in western media than anyone and can quite dramatically change a political parties chances of winning or losing. Just look at Fox News as an example in the US.

Even MSM is copying news from internet!!! Just look at the number of news which are sourced from the internet!!! Just today got the MY woman nearly tio rape news [sunny]

↡ Advertisement