Citroen C4 & Ford Focus

Luv_presea

(edited)

Hi, my dad is interested in these 2 cars. Just for an example of the exact spec and models, below are 2 links:

C4

Focus

As for the Focus, we are open to either the hatchback or the sedan version.

Priorities are mainly reliability, fuel consumption and again, reliability. As he has spent almost 10k on repairs on his current car. I know for reliability, one should choose jap cars like toyota, honda etc. but my dad likes something different.

I know these 2 models are quite low on power, but still drivable i guess. Read up abit and concluded that the focus is more of a fun car as in handling and the C4 is very comfortable.

Any one can advise on any of these 2 models regarding reliability and maintainance issues? your feedback will very much be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Luv_presea
↡ Advertisement

What about reliability? Both alright?

Well i used to drive the MK1 focus which IMHO is a far better drive, and was pretty reliable (only exception was the ignition coils and minor creaks).

Plus if Vantage Auto is still serving out 5 years 100,000km warranties it will be an advantage for those who suspect the reliability of Fords.

Citroen aren't as unreliable as it used to be, though i can't speak from experience about the current batch of cars. But the bulk of the members here will probably say stick to a jap if you can't stomach continental quirks.

(edited)

Thanks for the information bro. Ya agree most ppl would advise to buy jap instead. But my dad prefers something different if possible, that's why looking at these 2. He is more interested in the C4 though.

I drove my aunt's 2 yr old SX4 today and it felt boring. Like just a normal A to B car. I recommended him SX4, latio, sylphy, colt plus, lancer, Mazda 3, but he says all very boring to own. Lol. Actually he is quite interested in the Megane sports tourer, Renault scenic, epica, cruze but is unsure of their reliability. Same goes for C4 and focus. We prefer c4 as it looks good and is relatively cheaper than the rest except the focus.

So far, no one can advise on the C4. Mechanic only, always say, dun buy continental la....

Edited by Luv_presea

Thanks for the information bro. Ya agree most ppl would advise to buy jap instead. But my dad prefers something different if possible, that's why looking at these 2. He is more interested in the C4 though.

I drove my aunt's 2 yr old SX4 today and it felt boring. Like just a normal A to B car. I recommended him SX4, latio, sylphy, colt plus, lancer, Mazda 3, but he says all very boring to own. Lol. Actually he is quite interested in the Megane sports tourer, Renault scenic, epica, cruze but is unsure of their reliability. Same goes for C4 and focus. We prefer c4 as it looks good and is relatively cheaper than the rest except the focus.

So far, no one can advise on the C4. Mechanic only, always say, dun buy continental la....

DS4?

Currently i'm driving the End of Life Megane II sedan (Made in turkey) and its been good so far. Wearnes has been pretty spectacular in honouring their warranty, and surprisingly upfront in insisting we come back to claim even the tiniest of faults.

If you're looking at the pre-2011 sports tourer, thats the estate version of my megane. Although its made in france. It looks pretty slick looking though like its 4-door and 3/5-door siblings its equipped with an ancient 4-speed auto and equally ancient engine thats been around for 8 years. Servicing wise outside of Wearnes is pretty standard, similar to the focus or C4. Reliability for pre-owned is always a concern but you can probably do some search over at RCC forums to know what to look out for - www.renaultcarclub.com

Yup looking at pre 2011 models. I too think its very good looking and wouldn't mind my dad buying that. What about fuel consumption? What kind of figures u getting?

I've owned the Focus Mk 1 for 4 yrs plus before changing to my current Fiesta slightly more than 3 yrs ago. No major reliability issues for both rides which come with the 5 yrs 100k warranty. i've to quantify though that i'm on the low mileage category so can't vouch what happened if the ride is heavily utilised.

Driveability wise, Ford is [thumbsup]

Saw some reviews on YouTube and its UK's most popular car. So I'm sure the reliability should be good. I've rented the mk1 before too and I quite enjoyed it. Though it was many years ago. Still remember it was a manual. Engine sounds quite nice also.

Yup looking at pre 2011 models. I too think its very good looking and wouldn't mind my dad buying that. What about fuel consumption? What kind of figures u getting?

Well on average its probably around 11km/l due to the size and lack of oomph from the engine. Eats fuel like crazy in start stop traffic and can go down to 9.5km/l. Don't get me wrong, there is adequate torque to pull the car but it probably won't be as easy to move off as compared to a modern day Jap car. Ample power to cruise and overtake on the NSH at 160kph on average.

However you'll be hard pressed to find a decent list of Megane Sports Tourer on the second hand market as compared to the sedan version.

Wow, your dad has good taste - I am surprise the son is the boring one lol

C4 is good since it has 4 doors , DS3 - 2 doors your mom may not like it lol

But why not look at DS4 - the behind door is very special and cute and it looks good too.

Conti car is fine, just ask your dad to change a car every 3 years and stay special.

I drove the Mk1 for 7 years. Currently driving Mk3 for 1/2 a year.

Reliability no issues. FC not the best, but driving is very very fun. Mk1,Mk2 the pickup is a bit slow from start up, but once you get up to cruising speed, no problem. Overtaking is not an issue. Very stable at high speeds.

Maintence wise, AD prices are comparable to jap AD. but not much queue. booking of appointments is easy.

There are also other workshops outside that are quite cheap and reasonable.

resale prices are terrible, but you shld be able to pick used car at a cheap price

Focus is very unrated but good car.

y no 1.6l ecoboost for our little island? [mad]

Ecoboost only available in europe for manual transmission.

maybe when it is available as auto transmission, then ecoboost focus might come in

You're right. Only found 3 in sgcarmart and all 3 only have abt 2yrs to go. And I looked at the focus wagon version ans its not that good looking. Ugly compared the the Megane. I mean the rear.

Wow, your dad has good taste - I am surprise the son is the boring one lol

C4 is good since it has 4 doors , DS3 - 2 doors your mom may not like it lol

But why not look at DS4 - the behind door is very special and cute and it looks good too.

Conti car is fine, just ask your dad to change a car every 3 years and stay special.

Lol. Actually I like the C4 and I introduced that to him and he liked it too. Because he asked for a reliable car that's why I adviced him to get those sylphy and latio etc. Haha. If they are all quite reliable, no doubt we would get the C4 or focus already.

The ds3 and ds4 are both very nice looking cars but cost too much for my dad. He don't want to spend a lot. So the choices are quite limited.

↡ Advertisement