2013 Cruze

Erykool

Hi, just to share some observations about the 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. I recently got my ride, which is the so called "2014 model". I have done some reading of the forums on the Cruze and found most people having negative reviews about it. Personally, my previous ride was a 2006 facelifted Honda City VTEC manual, so maybe I can share some observations here to help people make a more informed choice.

Exterior

I like the large size compared to my Honda City. The car looks handsome (mine is white) and my colleagues had been asking me about it. Definitely, it is quite striking on the road compared to the waves of BMWs, Mercs and Toyotas.

The 2013 model has a different bumper moulding (fog lamp is the main difference). Other than that, I can only point out that the door handles now has chrome trims. Another visible difference is the 16 inch rims, which is of a new design. Personally, I find the new rims more attractive than the previous one.

Interior

I am not too sure about the interior of the 2009-2012 models, but I find it quite comfortable for a family car. It is much more well-equipped compared to my Honda City. However, there are some hard plastics around and certain compartments do not feel premium. In this case, Honda probably did better in terms of its build quality. Some plastic parts in my Cruze felt brittle and doesn't give the impression it will last.

The reverse camera is a plus, though I don't really need it. I had been trained to park without any aids in my 6 years of owning the Honda City (yes, not even the annoying reverse sensors!). The GPS looked impressive, though I had not really experimented with it.

The Drive

I guess this was where I set my mind on the Cruze. I had also went for test drive for the Toyota Vios and Hyundai Elantra. Toyota Vios felt noisy and bumpy, while the Elantra was good, the overly assisted steering didn't suit my liking for a 'continental feel'. I found the Cruze's steering to be well-weighted and reasonably sharp. I could handle the car pretty well within a week of owning it. Though there was some body rolls, the car never felt like losing control.

Also, the noise insulation for the Cruze is excellent, especially when cruising along highways at speeds of 80km/h and above. The car did not feel like it was going really fast even at 100km/h. Probably the heavy body weight made it much more stable compared to my Honda City.

Initial start-up was slow, due to the relatively weak engine and heavy body. The engine sounded gruff at low speeds (I thought the engine note sounded very much like the Toyota engines) but once you get it settled at 70km/h and above, it becomes a non issue. The autobox would only drop to gear number 6 only at speeds above 70km/h. Shifting is quite acceptable though it can get confused at times. Then again, I might be complaining too much as I am very much used to the responsiveness of a manual transmission.

Value for money?

Based on the amount I paid, I found the Cruze to be amazing value for what it can offer me. Running costs can be a bit high due to the relatively high fuel consumption. For my first tank, I only managed 9km/l (I use 95 octane petrol). I attribute that to my short trips (90% roads, 10% highway) and the fact that the engine has not run in. I would think after running in, I should be able to get about 10-11km/l. That is acceptable to me bearing in mind that the puny 1.6l engine has to move nearly 1.4 tonnes of mass.

If you are looking for a comfortable and safe car (NCAP 5 star rating), the Cruze presents good value for money. I would expect most modern cars to be relatively fuss free for the first 5 years, so that is probably how long I am going to keep the car. If you are particular about fuel consumption, then this model might be a poor choice. To me, this car is a good choice for as an upgrade over my Honda City.

• Praise 2

It looks almost the same with the current model though

I have the same feeling, can't spot any change.

Cruze is quite spacious and the rear view is civic lookalike but costs only 2/3 of the price of a Civic.

i like the design mainly because of the front grill. Its aggressive and looks like a performance car.

Any car can put on bodykit, new rims, low profile tyres, exhaust, lowered suspension but the biggest headache is the front grill.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I have had both Kia and Hyundai. Kia better. Kia AD (C&C) also better.

Lol, thought hyundai and kia same? [:/] But i know donkey years ago, kia and hyundai is different.

Neutral Newbie

Thot Kia is a subsidary of Hyundai.

I had tried cruze at alpine motor, a good BB car, however pick up can be slow, I find their hatchback more nicer and sporty.

• Praise 1

Lol, thought hyundai and kia same? [:/] But i know donkey years ago, kia and hyundai is different.

:D Kia is using hyundai platform/technology, example the 2011 Koup is using the same engine as elantra, I30. Sportage is using tucson engine etc.. if u notice, alot of the Kia spare parts are the same as Hyundai . Just like Chevy, they are actually Dawoo, most of the spare parts also label as Dawoo parts etc.

Thot Kia is a subsidary of Hyundai.

I had tried cruze at alpine motor, a good BB car, however pick up can be slow, I find their hatchback more nicer and sporty.

Yes, agreed with that and the passenger legroom are too small. But overall, its a decent and comfort ride. [thumbsup]

(edited)

:D Kia is using hyundai platform/technology, example the 2011 Koup is using the same engine as elantra, I30. Sportage is using tucson engine etc.. if u notice, alot of the Kia spare parts are the same as Hyundai . Just like Chevy, they are actually Dawoo, most of the spare parts also label as Dawoo parts etc.

Sorry, Double post

Edited by Wishxsr