New public transport fare review committee

Rezorn86

by then maybe he no more Transpok minister lel

yup.... and then they change their mind about the reduction... when questioned, they will then said "he say one, not I say hor..."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

if he can overturn PTC recommendation like that then why all these years he keep quiet when PTC say increase and force it down our throats ?

now he also suddenly have our interests at heart ?

if he can overturn PTC recommendation like that then why all these years he keep quiet when PTC say increase and force it down our throats ?

now he also suddenly have our interests at heart ?

Cause GE is coming. As usual they will have our interests at heart at this point of time.

• Praise 1

April 5th 2015 fare hike 2 to 5 cents...

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/public-transport-fares-to-increase-by-2-to-5-cents-from-april-5

Dec 27th 2015 fare reduction 1 to 4 cents....

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/public-transport-fares-to/2212756.html

What's with the ding dong fare? Are ppl being taken for a ride? Or is this a publicity stunt for the new transpork minister? Outgoing minister announce the fare hike in April since he's leaving curse him also no use. New minister take over only ppl get fare reduction. Jin wayang leh.

Why not spent the effort on fixing the reliability issue? LTA very free is it? Adjust here, adjust there.

April 5th 2015 fare hike 2 to 5 cents...

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/public-transport-fares-to-increase-by-2-to-5-cents-from-april-5

Dec 27th 2015 fare reduction 1 to 4 cents....

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/public-transport-fares-to/2212756.html

What's with the ding dong fare? Are ppl being taken for a ride? Or is this a publicity stunt for the new transpork minister? Outgoing minister announce the fare hike in April since he's leaving curse him also no use. New minister take over only ppl get fare reduction. Jin wayang leh.

Why not spent the effort on fixing the reliability issue? LTA very free is it? Adjust here, adjust there.

If people don't remember or know the hike in Apr this year, many would think so good they are going to reduce fare? But actually nothing much has been gained also.

Cheap public transport fares popular but 'not sustainable': Khaw Boon Wan

SINGAPORE: The fare formula for public transport is being reviewed to better track total costs, as the Ministry of Transportation (MOT)'s budget rises for upcoming infrastructure upgrades.

Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan said in Parliament on Wednesday (Mar 7) that while Singapore's transport fares are currently "affordable", the Government also needs to ensure the sustainability of the transport network.

"We must be careful that (fares) are not priced too cheaply, as maintaining a high-quality transport system requires resources," he said. "Cheap fares are popular, but they are not sustainable."

The current formula is "inadequate", he said, and the Public Transport Council (PTC) is reviewing it to take into account "total costs".

"I am confident that they can work out a fair and sustainable arrangement. Please support the PTC when they make their recommendations," Mr Khaw said.

Noting how massive investments are being made to improve the transport system, Mr Khaw said that it would be "a disaster" for public transport subsidies to spike against declining revenue.

"Over the past five years, improvements to public transport services have increased operating costs by about 60 per cent," he said. "One major contributing factor is the large increase in network capacity as we opened new lines and added more buses and trains."

"This huge cost increase has been borne by the Government," explained Mr Khaw. "Against such rising cost, fares have gone down by 2 per cent over the same period."

"Every dollar spent on transport is a dollar less for other expenditure – like schools, healthcare and security," noted Mr Khaw, who is also the Coordinating Minister for Infrastructure.

MOT’s budget is now the second largest among ministries, after the Ministry of Defence and ahead of the health ministry, Ministry of National Development and Ministry of Education, he added.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/parliament/ptc-public-transport-fares-formula-popular-not-sustainable-khaw-10020252

so need to increase fares now to pay it forward for future lines and trains and CEO celery ?  [:p] 

• Praise 1

I think people are looking at our posts and and using our ideas from MCF.   [thumbsup]

Kusje don't feel so bad you didn't know about total cost.

Some very important people also didn't know about it.

Good thing they saw my post. Just like how I said Scoot should merge with Tiger and 

they borrowed that idea from me as well. I think they should thank me for both ideas.

:D

Mr Khaw said the Public Transport Council is currently reviewing the fare formula as the "current formula is inadequate".

"It can be improved to better track total costs," he said. "I am confident that they can work out a fair and sustainable arrangement."

Jamesc, on 27 Feb 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:snapback.png

I just look at total costs.

Kusje, on 27 Feb 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:snapback.png

so smart. 

Why didn't I think of that?

Should increase lah :XD:

I am sorry this is my fault.

I brought up total cost in MCF and they are now using it.

In 1959 British Leyland sold the Mini for 499 pounds.

The actual cost was 530 pounds and they lost 31 pounds for every mini sold.

So calculating cost is very important especially total cost.

I think the problem is many people are good financial accountants

but very few are good cost accountants.

I am sorry this is my fault.

I brought up total cost in MCF and they are now using it.

In 1959 British Leyland sold the Mini for 499 pounds.

The actual cost was 530 pounds and they lost 31 pounds for every mini sold.

So calculating cost is very important especially total cost.

I think the problem is many people are good financial accountants

but very few are good cost accountants.

No no don’t say that

This one I agree must increase

• Praise 2

No no don’t say that

This one I agree must increase

You are right.

If it was miscalculated and there is a big hole

then we better do something about now rather

than do nothing until its too late.  [thumbsup]

Supersonic

The moment they say is affordable, means gg liao. 

Past decreases in fares now must pay back to them.

Supersonic

The moment they say is affordable, means gg liao. 

Past decreases in fares now must pay back to them.

If you want reliable and world class public transport, you have to pay for it lo. There is no free lunch in this world de. All the improvement works, employment of more staff, new train line, new buses, all these need money.  [rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1