Unemployment rate for over-30s creeps up

Hephaestus

How I know? Very simple.

Some people in their 40s and 50s ask for low pay but companies still prefer younger but more expensive candidates.

This came from a recruiter friend.

I can think of 2 reasons ....

1 . The bosses are lau tiko

2. Older staffs were deem stubborn

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

How I know? Very simple.

Some people in their 40s and 50s ask for low pay but companies still prefer younger but more expensive candidates.

This came from a recruiter friend.

Yes, that's a hard truth. It's not simply matter of pay, but a little bit of age discrimination here.

From company point of view, they are not just looking for a person to fill the present job vacancy, but also on the future potential - perhaps that person turns out to be 'ang pai' [laugh] and fulfill his/her potential to be promoted fast, and play bigger role in the company.

Actually some companies also dont like to hire youngsters, cause they think these people would not stay long in the company. Lol.

Companies should make it clear in their adverts.

We like young people cos we can promote them fast and Strawberries can apply.

We like old and experienced cos they cannot run away and people like me can apply.

Why waste our and their own time not making themselves clear?

:D  

• Praise 1

The hard truth is,

they also don't want to employ you even if you show enthusiasm.

If you think you can clinch a job just because you lower your salary expectation, it's also not true.

It all boils down to age (top reason but always not acknowledged by government and employers)  and relevant skill sets that can fit direct and exactly into the org, not salary.

Why age?

1. most direct supervisor/manager in their late 20/early 30's

2. the team is young and energetic, multicultural (you will get the hint and emphasis during the interview and you know your chance before stepping out)

Assuming that we will surely get chopped between 40 to 50 yrs old, then what back up plans do you have to keep money rolling in ? Take up jobs that locals don't want ?

Edited by Kangadrool

So I guess middle age folks who kanna axed must become self- employed, since NO employers want older workers.

With the current situation where alot of people settle down late and have the 1st kid at mid 30s..

When the kid is taking PSLE, one or both parents will lose their job. Jia lut !

Before the golden axe comes, what are the options available for older and experienced workers ? Commit suicide ?

Pardon the cliches: I think it boils down to timing and opportunities.

I made the fatal mistake of staying too long in my previous company (11 years) and I was too contented and conceited.

When a new GM came in, the tide turned very quickly and I was in a mad scramble to get out at any cost.

Fortunately, thanks to some old friends in the industry, I was able to get out relatively unscathed.

One must never be complacent and the best way to do so is to keep looking out for opportunities, regardless of your age and position.

Companies don't value loyalty anymore and in fact, the older you get, the more expensive you are and the more likely you'd be let go.

I've learnt my lesson well.

• Praise 12

I made the fatal mistake of staying too long in my previous company (11 years) and I was too contented and conceited.

When a new GM came in, the tide turned very quickly and I was in a mad scramble to get out at any cost.

Fortunately, thanks to some old friends in the industry, I was able to get out relatively unscathed.

One must never be complacent and the best way to do so is to keep looking out for opportunities, regardless of your age and position.

Companies don't value loyalty anymore and in fact, the older you get, the more expensive you are and the more likely you'd be let go.

Agree on always keeping a lookout. I also think that one must think beyond the company. Whatever you do, dont just think what value u can bring to the company but also the value you can bring to yourself.
  • Praise 9

It's not so much your loyalty to your company, but rather how much value you bring to your company.

If you are in back office roles and getting older plus more expensive, it's prudent to plan for early retirement, or quickly master another skill set.

Hard truths.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 7

The hard truth is,

they also don't want to employ you even if you show enthusiasm.

If you think you can clinch a job just because you lower your salary expectation, it's also not true.

It all boils down to age (top reason but always not acknowledged by government and employers)  and relevant skill sets that can fit direct and exactly into the org, not salary.

Why age?

1. most direct supervisor/manager in their late 20/early 30's

2. the team is young and energetic, multicultural (you will get the hint and emphasis during the interview and you know your chance before stepping out)

"Old" in Singapore is 40 because we always have a young workforce available be it Singaporeans or foreigners.

• Praise 3

But cannot liddat say also although self-employed is an option, but in most vocation/profession, it's not feasible.

You need to target certain companies, be clue in on company cultures and profiles....  keep your eyes and ears open big big even in good times, be marketable by jumping ships every 5 years, etc. Luck helps a bit.

Job hunting skills is more important than job skills now.

So I guess middle age folks who kanna axed must become self- employed, since NO employers want older workers.

With the current situation where alot of people settle down late and have the 1st kid at mid 30s..

Before the golden axe comes, what are the options available for older and experienced workers ? Commit suicide ?

• Praise 1

Yours truly. Kena axed at 50 yrs old.

Bcum self-employed.

• Praise 2

But cannot liddat say also although self-employed is an option, but in most vocation/profession, it's not feasible.

You need to target certain companies, be clue in on company cultures and profiles....  keep your eyes and ears open big big even in good times, be marketable by jumping ships every 5 years, etc. Luck helps a bit.

This is so true. Nowadays job hunting skills is so much important than job skills. Having a good job skills doesnt mean you can stay until you retire in the company. Can get axe or whatsoever reasons happened in the company. Able to quickly get another job is important when that time comes.

• Praise 2

This is so true. Nowadays job hunting skills is so much important than job skills. Having a good job skills doesnt mean you can stay until you retire in the company. Can get axe or whatsoever reasons happened in the company. Able to quickly get another job is important when that time comes.

Very easy.

Men just go under skirt, women go inside pants can liao  [lipsrsealed]

Maybe this is one big reason why they are not banning Uber and Grab.... leaving some jobs for those unfortunate ones who kena axed.

• Praise 9

This situation is particularly true when the new head is incompetent. In order to stay in position he/she has to bring in his/her gang to support them. So, old hands have to go first. They are the challenge to him/her.

When you see a big change and the group shifting from 1 company to another. You know it is doom for that organization.

• Praise 2

Networking and knowing who is more important than knowing what.

• Praise 2

Networking and knowing who is more important than knowing what.

So true.....best jobs are always given to old friend contacts or recommendations. Writing in is usually futile; especially for the better jobs or senior roles. Can't blame the hiring boss as well as new hires need to perform and deliver. Getting to know an unknown hire can be a big gamble so playing safe is the route many take.

"Old" in Singapore is 40 because we always have a young workforce available be it Singaporeans or foreigners.

Sadly true....unlike in many countries where the younger staff are limited and hence older staff retain their jobs. In Singapore we have unlimited new blood to replace old staff as practically anyone in the world with some reasonable qualifications can apply for a job in Singapore. The open door policy has well and truly screwed many

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5