Unemployment rate for over-30s creeps up

Hephaestus

If you already have the skills, do you really need to attend the course again?

If you don't have the skills, but want to attain it, do you think employers will embrace it after your attainment of certification but without hands-on work experience? 

The issue of "if you don't give me the chance, how am I going to gain the experience" vice versa still remain.

I was so interested in the IE's initiative to train international trade finance personnel. Read through tonnes of information and only to discover that it covers only those employees already in the trade in the sponsored companies. How about those retrenched and want to re-skill themselves?

Lotsa of bull craps if you ask me.

I am still trying to find a meaningful way to use my 500 skills credits, but no such luck. Of course, I can anyhow sign up for any course at my whimpsy just to use that up. But, that's not the way even if it is "free" money. 

And after they implement this skillsfuture, many course providers increased the course fees mysteriously. 

And....

After I managed to zero down on an overseas course provider for international trade finance, there's no way I can claim for my skills future which incidentally is the organisation that IE is "partnering" with in Singapore.

I find that most courses catered for non-graduates, the payoff probably higher for the government as it will cover more people... 

↡ Advertisement

Actually gd staff hard to come by, and lots of employer understand this fact.

Make sure you remain relavant and important to ur company and dont be too relax and complacen.

Some boss like to eat thier employee but they will learn their lesson, to always recruit and retrain will restrict the company potential to growth and earn.

• Praise 5

I guess locals have to be more resilient, like FTs.

How resilient?

I have many FT workers who buy 5-room HDB flats and live here with their families. They only live in one or two rooms though. The other rooms are for loan repayment. Maybe govt want you to be resilient like that.

[rolleyes]

• Praise 3

My so-called new head doesn't know anything about the business and he slapped on a 40% annual increase to target.

It was impossible (at least I can't do it), so I left and he had to take over.

Guess it was the "best" way to sort things out.

Now he has the best opportunity to prove that I was incompetent and the target is entirely doable!

Not true. He can always claim you sabotaged him or instigated those who stayed behind not to cooperate hence he can only show let's say 10% instead of 40%.

And you are not there to defend yourself. Any support by those who remained will be further proof that instigation occurred.

Office politics can be very dirty.

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 3

I think the most important thing is to keep the spirits up

if you get chopped. Cannot be too fussy and I think there

is no such thing as a job beneath me or dirty job that I would

not do saying I don't want to do a job that get my hands dirty.

So I think if I get retrenched I will be applying to the adult

educational video industry. If I cannot get a job as an actor

I hope they at least let me do the directing. Or even just

quality control.

:D  

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 10

just try to learn more skills and improve [:p]

hopefully will weather this out

Yup thats why i continue to improve my Rolex knowledge for better sales service.

• Praise 3

Yup thats why i continue to improve my Rolex knowledge for better sales service.

should find a marketable product and sell

got lobang tell me

always looking out for new products and business opportunities

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 8

I guess locals have to be more resilient, like FTs.

How resilient?

I have many FT workers who buy 5-room HDB flats and live here with their families. They only live in one or two rooms though. The other rooms are for loan repayment. Maybe govt want you to be resilient like that.

[rolleyes]

I have some Chinese co-workers who rent the whole house and then sublet the rooms to more tenants.

They even have a proper term for it - 二房东 or even 三房东.

Sounds like MLM.

• Praise 4

I have some Chinese co-workers who rent the whole house and then sublet the rooms to more tenants.

They even have a proper term for it - 二房东 or even 三房东.

Sounds like MLM.

Many so called "3rd World" citizens are entrepreneurial in thinking and spirit. Its part of their survival DNA. Our forefathers had it but trained out of us by PAP. Someways China had their Cultural Revolution and we were subjected to a much lesser and fatal form of brain wash.

Did its job when we were starting up in 1960s and 1970s or even 1980s. But the strict adherence to "just follow the top" has made Singaporeans less adaptable to the new world order. 

In many cities, the default thinking is "can unless someone say cannot". Here in SG, the default thinking its "cannot unless someone say can"

• Praise 5

Many so called "3rd World" citizens are entrepreneurial in thinking and spirit. Its part of their survival DNA. Our forefathers had it but trained out of us by PAP. Someways China had their Cultural Revolution and we were subjected to a much lesser and fatal form of brain wash.

Did its job when we were starting up in 1960s and 1970s or even 1980s. But the strict adherence to "just follow the top" has made Singaporeans less adaptable to the new world order. 

In many cities, the default thinking is "can unless someone say cannot". Here in SG, the default thinking its "cannot unless someone say can"

The problem here is, while HDB has set rules which the locals followed, these FTs do whatever they like but nobody check. How would you like to live next to an apartment in this condition? Try doing it next to our Minister of National Development. Surely it is not too difficult to conduct periodic checks and whenever they receive feedback. The question is, who will be checking.

The Town Council will push to HDB and the music chair will slowly brings the feedback to a halt.

• Praise 3

The biggest difference is that this is truly our home.

We cant just pack up and go.

They CAN, anytime.

Do you guys know how many of this rich FTs actually just leave the country when they cant pay their bills? Many!

Mortgages go unpaid. Phone bills go unpaid, car loans go unpaid.

Even if you sue in their home country, it may take you more money and nothing in return even if you win.

Flight risk is very real.

• Praise 11

wah ... no wonder amdk drive porsche and live in orchard ... [sly]

if all good continue to make money

if shit happen ... pat pat bottom and run road

The biggest difference is that this is truly our home.

We cant just pack up and go.

They CAN, anytime.

Do you guys know how many of this rich FTs actually just leave the country when they cant pay their bills? Many!

Mortgages go unpaid. Phone bills go unpaid, car loans go unpaid.

Even if you sue in their home country, it may take you more money and nothing in return even if you win.

Flight risk is very real.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2