MediaCorp TV channels to go digital from end-2013

Wubb

I've not bought any actually.

Just read the reviews on the ones available on Qoo10. Not many options, only those 2. Seem to have good enough reviews.

I was thinking of getting, but decided to wait until really pangsai liao then buy pangsai zhua Lol [laugh]

Wah Lao eh, using pang sai analogy, like that those who always 2 gen behind technology how? Wait till sai jua all over place, then but paper.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Anyone know why we can't use the coax cable point at home to receive digital tv without a starhub box? Is it for technical reasons or another kelong attempt to allow starhub earn more money?

You can use a dvb decoder box and plug into your home coax cable to get a hdmi signal to your tv.

Mediacrap digital channels are not encrypted, unlike sh channels, although both are supplied by sh.

You can use a dvb decoder box and plug into your home coax cable to get a hdmi signal to your tv.

Mediacrap digital channels are not encrypted, unlike sh channels, although both are supplied by sh.

Initially, when I plug the coax cable direct from wall to tv, only the non-HD channels are available. All the so-called free HD channels may be encrypted within SH.

So looks to me like all the cable points in SG homes are solely for the benefit of Shithub? I'm so glad consumers are no longer held ransom by them thanks to the internet.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 2

Initially, when I plug the coax cable direct from wall to tv, only the non-HD channels are available. All the so-called free HD channels may be encrypted within SH.

So looks to me like all the cable points in SG homes are solely for the benefit of Shithub? I'm so glad consumers are no longer held ransom by them thanks to the internet.

hmm...the last time I check, HD channels were still unecrypted.

Maybe they decide to encrypt it as well.

Revived this old old thread with some questions

Terminated my SH service, back to watching mediacorp channel...my tv is digital ready, I bought a so called digital antenna for it... No matter where I place the antenna, the signal will be interrupted when ppl walk pass. Cable not long enough to place outside the window, which a bit unsightly...

For those old HDB that got the rooftop antenna point, can I use that instead? Haven't try...

Ok , I'm answering my own question so ppl can benefit.

My old old h-lee-bee got a covered up MATV point... I open up the cover, all rusted inside, so i tap my TV antenna to the rusted outlet point, voila, can receive digital signal.... now I need to find the faceplate to replace it since the previous owner already remove the original faceplate.

Guess now I don't need an indoor antenna and booster.

but hor, if i tap to the MATV, when lightning strike, will my TV kena??

Turbocharged

So the old MATV point can be used for receiving digital TV signals?? Meaning those with DVB-T2 TV just plug with coaxial cable to the MATV point will get the free-to-air channels on HD??

Also, when I'm in JB, I realised many of their TVs are showing channel 8, 5 or suria in HD format.

So the old MATV point can be used for receiving digital TV signals?? Meaning those with DVB-T2 TV just plug with coaxial cable to the MATV point will get the free-to-air channels on HD??

Also, when I'm in JB, I realised many of their TVs are showing channel 8, 5 or suria in HD format.

How can they "steal" our TV like that.

Someone should make them pay.

I don't steal MY TV.

:D

• Praise 1

My old old h-lee-bee got a covered up MATV point... I open up the cover, all rusted inside, so i tap my TV antenna to the rusted outlet point, voila, can receive digital signal.... now I need to find the faceplate to replace it since the previous owner already remove the original faceplate.

I think MATV will have a lightning rod nearby or on the antenna itself to reduce ligthning strike, but doesn't mean 100% free of lightning strike.

I worked at B Batok tv transmission station before.

The lightning there was terrible. It killed our modems a couple of times. The modems was used for starhub old cable tv system.

Edited by Kb27

I bought a dvb-t2 tuner box and the more powerful antenna. Supposed to be for my mother's place but on my room TV. Not able to receive channel 8 for some reason... Will stick to the scv cable for now.

This thing will be shut off in 2017 or later.

Turbocharged

I bought a dvb-t2 tuner box and the more powerful antenna. Supposed to be for my mother's place but on my room TV. Not able to receive channel 8 for some reason... Will stick to the scv cable for now.

Wah, you buy already still cannot receive?

The scv point will stop giving analogue signal, unless you subscribed to their tv package by end of 2017.

The scv point will stop giving analogue signal, unless you subscribed to their tv package by end of 2017.

I can receive the other channels. But somehow the scanning doesn't show ch 8. Dunno why.

not so soon la.... till then... just go without ugly indoor antenna first lo

huh?? no la, SCV point will still be there to provide free local channel in analogue signal, unless u got subscribe starhub setup box, then u got HD.....else if ur tv just plug into scv u cannot receive digital tv, only normal analogue tv

Turbocharged

huh?? no la, SCV point will still be there to provide free local channel in analogue signal, unless u got subscribe starhub setup box, then u got HD.....else if ur tv just plug into scv u cannot receive digital tv, only normal analogue tv

http://www1.mediacorp.sg/digitaltv/

By end of this year, the analogue signals will be terminated. Those with older TV sets connected to Starhub's free-to-air channel will not work.

• Praise 1

I can receive the other channels. But somehow the scanning doesn't show ch 8. Dunno why.

You need to buy an antenna with booster power. I bought one which has a USB 5V input for booster power, when it's not powered, some channels I can't receive. The moment it's plugged into a power source, the reception is good.

And I'm living on the second floor, with the room window view blocked by walls.

Now I regret not buying another set of tuner and antenna, ezbuy removed that listing already.

Hypersonic

You need to buy an antenna with booster power. I bought one which has a USB 5V input for booster power, when it's not powered, some channels I can't receive. The moment it's plugged into a power source, the reception is good.

And I'm living on the second floor, with the room window view blocked by walls.

Now I regret not buying another set of tuner and antenna, ezbuy removed that listing already.

hmmm thanks. So far i didn't see an option to have a Booster power antenna on the local qoo10 listings.

Nvm. I almost never watch local tv anyway at home (at least live TV).

hmmm thanks. So far i didn't see an option to have a Booster power antenna on the local qoo10 listings.

Nvm. I almost never watch local tv anyway at home (at least live TV).

seach for Digital TV antenna instead. Most of them will include a "power-in option" (ie. booster).

e one i got for one of my friend, power-in option just connect to e usb port on his TV to "boost" e antenna.

• Praise 3