MediaCorp TV channels to go digital from end-2013

Wubb

We refer to your feedback forwarded by REACH dated 13 July regarding the reception of free to air digital TV channels via HDB rooftop antenna.

The outdoor master antenna (MATV) system in HDB blocks is equipped for reception of analogue TV channels and will be phased out when Singapore fully transitions to digital TV in a few years’ time.  HDB has no plans to upgrade the existing MATV system which will require an overhaul of the rewiring to the TV points in most homes. It will be intrusive and cause inconvenience to the households. The government has explored various possibilities of delivering digital FTA TV to the population and found that the indoor antenna solution to be the most feasible and viable solution for TV viewers to receive digital TV. Countries such as Germany, Netherlands and USA also use indoor antennae to receive digital FTA TV signals.

MediaCorp is progressively rolling out their network of digital TV transmitters over the next two to three years to enhance the signals and enable households to receive the signals using indoor antennae. With the Digital TV network, households just need to connect their existing TV to an indoor Ultra-High Frequency (UHF) antenna and a set-top box to watch FTA TV programmes in HD. Alternatively, you can also consider purchasing an IDTV set with a built-in DVB-T2 tuner, in which case you do not need to purchase a separate set-top box. Indoor antennae come in compact form such as a bar, frame, or rod. The households will have more flexibilities in placing their TV sets without the need to search for a fixed TV point.

The DVB-T2 IDTVs/set-top boxes are now available at the retail outlets such as Best Denki, Courts, Gain City, FairPrice Hypermarkets, Harvey Norman, etc. To ensure that the IDTV/set-top box can receive Singapore’s digital TV channels, you should look out for the consumer labels as attached, which indicate that the set-top box or the TV with a built-in tuner (IDTV) that you are purchasing is digital TV-ready. You may check the brands and models of all DVB-T2 receivers registered with IDA and carrying the DTV Label Mark at this link:
You may call the MediaCorp’s hotline at 6435 6288 if you require assistance on digital TV reception.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Twincharged
(edited)

the actual article :

SINGAPORE: To usher in the shift to digital TV, the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) will offer a starter kit to all HDB households that do not have a pay-TV subscription with either Singtel or StarHub.

Some 400,000 households are expected to benefit.

Communications and Information Minister Yaacob Ibrahim announced this during an appreciation event organised by the IMDA for its partners on Friday (Apr 6).

One-quarter of households in Singapore are still watching television on analogue. This means they will be cut off from local free-to-air programming come Dec 31, when analogue transmission is switched off for good.

The TV channels include Channel NewsAsia, Channel 5, Channel 8, Suria, Vasantham, Okto and Channel U.

Eligible households will be able to redeem a free set-top box and antenna package, and can opt for free delivery and installation as well.

Alternatively, they can choose to redeem S$100 for selected digital TV equipment purchases – such as an antenna, a set-top box, or an integrated digital TV – from participating electronics retailers including Best Denki, Courts, Gain City, and Harvey Norman.

A digital antenna and set-top box bundle retails at S$98 at Best Denki.

The antenna is the most important element of the package as it receives the digital transmission signal. It should be placed in an upright position near a window so it can best receive the signal.

Digital broadcasting uses fewer frequencies than analogue broadcasting and the scarce radio spectrum will be freed up after the digital switchover for high-speed mobile broadband services, said IMDA.

Viewers will know they are watching TV on analogue if they see the word “analogue” under the channel’s logo on the top right corner of their TV screen

Beginning with Clementi and Tampines, letters will be sent out to eligible households between April and June. All redemptions must be made before Dec 31.

The programme is an enhancement of an earlier assistance scheme targeted at lower-income households, which benefited some 70,000 households.

Source: CNA/hm(hm)

i have 3 tvs in 3 diff rooms, can i buy 1 and split the signal?

so many ppl say they don't watch tv liow ... maybe you can buy it off them ... say $10 ? :ninja:

I still watching Family Reunion every weekend ... so cannot sell to you.

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

lai lai !! got my letter liow ... all letters are QR coded to individual details ... so just scan the QR code and then book and appt. I got my letter last night ... made appt just now for this sunday for free delivery ad install !! [thumbsup]

don't flame me ok ... poor man .... got to take whatever is given to me free !! :want:

post-2854-0-87772400-1524638378_thumb.jpg

maybe its not HDB's job to do so ?

what i did is just simply reuse my old expired Dreambox and my local HD channels are in digital format.

Was trying to use ACRyan to substitute as a set top box but no available channels.

Supersonic

lai lai !! got my letter liow ... all letters are QR coded to individual details ... so just scan the QR code and then book and appt. I got my letter last night ... made appt just now for this sunday for free delivery ad install !! [thumbsup]

don't flame me ok ... poor man .... got to take whatever is given to me free !! :want:

I too receive the brochure today.

so I am lost. can I go get a newest TV plug onto the old terminal and watch?

currently my TV hanging on the feature wall. just like a painting. no protruding cable or box. so to watch digital I need to drill hole and connect cable?

Supersonic

how the installation go?

Twincharged
(edited)

how the installation go?

its a standalone antenna (usb-powered) if your tv is digital ready.

but if not, then have to route through a tvbox.

the old wall cable/antenna will not be used.

Edited by Ysc3

Twincharged

just got a flyer in my letterbox from Gain City.

they are having a sale ( aren't they always??) ... and those with the conversion letter can get $200 off new digital tv set from Gain City instead of $100 stated on the letter !

but frankly I dunno how the regular prices are at Gain City.

Turbocharged
(edited)

just got a flyer in my letterbox from Gain City.

they are having a sale ( aren't they always??) ... and those with the conversion letter can get $200 off new digital tv set from Gain City instead of $100 stated on the letter !

but frankly I dunno how the regular prices are at Gain City.

TV pricing can vary a lot, need to really do comparison with different shops for the specific model you are looking at. I think they want to give few hundred off also no issue.  [laugh]

Edited by Dafansu

Hypersonic

thank you ah gong for giving me a free digital tv conversion kit for my peasant home

thank you ah gong for giving me a free digital tv conversion kit for my peasant home

ðð

How come I don’t have :(