Running Shoes - Are expensive running shoes a waste of money

Scb11980

LOL, I get most of my out of season shoes in Singapore. A can of contact cement helps in prolonging it's life span.

No thank you.

I don't want to get injury from shoe that can't support my weight.

↡ Advertisement

No thank you.

I don't want to get injury from shoe that can't support my weight.

You American size ar?

Sometimes Amazon had good sales, but those I want don't ship to SG.

You American size ar?

I usually buy from running warehouse which only ships within USA.

Checkout their clearance sale.  I usually buy Saucony Kinvara.

Other than running shoe, i also buy gel (Honey Stinger) which i can't get in Singapore.

You American size ar?

Have you tried wiggle?  Their price isn't too bad since the pound started tanking.  [laugh]  Got my Suunto Spartan at a price far cheaper than sillypore.  [knife]

When I moved to my new place, I slept on the floor for almost a month cuz bed didn't move in with me.

Body felt damn painful (not just an ache) every morning but it would get better throughout the day. I didn't feel any improvements after the 1 month.

I hope you didn't forget there are cheap tiram to get them as temporary sleeping quarters

I said I don't believe in all the branded BS. [laugh] If must buy, look for those out of season stock, even if sell at 80% or 90% discount and I tell you they still make a profit. [laugh]

Yes. this is correct. Buy the out of season products.

Same like wise for phones, TV, clothings.

Wait for the discounts. Your wallet will be happier.

I bought my PureConnect IIRC about $59 ( or $69 ? ) .. which is a huge discount off brand new , if bought when newly launched then.

The brand is a must, because at least there are some R&D on how the shoes are designed, not just a copy or re-designed version. 

Although it can come from Vietnam or China or Indonesia, but it has to be properly made to fit the anatomy of our foot, especially so when you use it for sports.

Walking... please use slippers.. Haha !

I was taught this running method.

1. Tilt your body forward, from the ankles

2. Catch your step when u tilt forward.

3. Take small steps and use your hamstrings to lift your knee; Soft calves, i.e. do NOT push off, take small steps. 

The key is to let the quads n hamstrings do all the work. Let the big muscles do all the work. So, smaller muscles like shins and calves do less.

4. Elbows point backwards ,like jabbing somebody, instead of moving forwards

5. When on an upslope, jab arms forward to the chin.

6. When on a downhill, just “sit back” on your hamstrings.

7. Lean forward, arms jab backwards for balance.

8. People at the back must be able to see the soles of your feet at all times.

When you want to go faster, just tilt your body forward more. slower, tilt back to an almost straight position.

If you can imagine, the front of your foot lands just underneath your centre of gravity, you will feel like rolling and not bouncing or stretching your legs.

That is a great tips.. the only problem with me running is having difficulties running down hill... LOL

Ok many people sure laugh at me for saying this, but if you analyse hard enough, it is not difficult to understand why I said that running down hill is tough... because your body absorbs tonnes more shock than going flat or uphill.

I can't get the sweet spot of going downhill, and usually slows down when doing that. 

It is funny ... HAHA !

for my runs I've been using nike lunarglide series. 

currently own 5,6,7 and just bought lunarglide 8 last week. 

probably the most comfortable running shoes I've ever owned, and never expected nike to make decent running shoes before this (tried asics, new balance before this)

I hope you didn't forget there are cheap tiram to get them as temporary sleeping quarters

Yes. this is correct. Buy the out of season products.

Same like wise for phones, TV, clothings.

Wait for the discounts. Your wallet will be happier.

I bought my PureConnect IIRC about $59 ( or $69 ? ) .. which is a huge discount off brand new , if bought when newly launched then.

The brand is a must, because at least there are some R&D on how the shoes are designed, not just a copy or re-designed version. 

Although it can come from Vietnam or China or Indonesia, but it has to be properly made to fit the anatomy of our foot, especially so when you use it for sports.

Walking... please use slippers.. Haha !

That is a great tips.. the only problem with me running is having difficulties running down hill... LOL

Ok many people sure laugh at me for saying this, but if you analyse hard enough, it is not difficult to understand why I said that running down hill is tough... because your body absorbs tonnes more shock than going flat or uphill.

I can't get the sweet spot of going downhill, and usually slows down when doing that. 

It is funny ... HAHA !

I have no problem running downhill.  Try gliding when you running on flat road.  Once you are used to it, you have no problem running downhill.

For those running forefoot...............or prefer a barefoot feel...............mayb can consider such flat sole slip ons...............I bought them when I started to learn barefoot forefoot running............they are the closest to barefoot i can find...............only a pc of rubber outsole (about 4-5mm thick) ...............and a pc of light upper...........there is a pc of very thin insole (abt 2mm)..........so total thickness no more than 7mm................zero drop............

I find them cheap and good...................cost $10 a pair...........weight less than 200g ............

so I bought a few pairs ...............one for running..................one for gym use...................and another 1 size smaller to replace my slippers ( removed insole and wear without socks)................. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

post-65783-0-38630900-1479992177_thumb.jpg

post-65783-0-72139500-1479992283_thumb.jpg

• Praise 3

What kind of shoe do you call them? Buy from tao bao?

they call it "skin shoes"...........I bought mine at qoo10...........plus delivery is $10...........this seller is the cheapest and ex stock SG...........if you want it fast i think can go their warehouse self collect............

in taobao you need to key in "aqua water shoes".............many ranges to choose from..........I think the cheapest plus shipment sld be about $8............

I actually bought 1 pair to try out and feel the size fitting...........after that quickly bought another 4 pairs from Qoo10 for standby...........................now that I know the size fit.................will be buying from taobao the next round............... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

@tianmo, @blueray .This pair of zero drop shoes looks good for minimalist running. The thin sole and zero drop will make you transit to forestrike easier.  Not too expensive, under $90, which is my threshold for buying a pair of running shoes. Look for lazada discount code.

http://www.lazada.sg/vivobarefoot-stealth-men-road-running-shoes-lime-1499092.html

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 3

@tianmo, @blueray .This pair of zero drop shoes looks good for minimalist running. The thin sole and zero drop will make you transit to forestrike easier.  Not too expensive, under $90, which is my threshold for buying a pair of running shoes. Look for lazada discount code.

http://www.lazada.sg/vivobarefoot-stealth-men-road-running-shoes-lime-1499092.html

thanks man...........but now i quite happy with my skin shoes leh..........bought total 5 pairs..............still got 2 pair in the bag standby...........just in case anyone interested.................below is the qoo10 link............ ^_^  ^_^  ^_^

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/COOLBE-UNISEX-SKIN-SHOES-COME-WITH-ZIPPERED-BAG-DESIGN-FOR-KIDS/421329765?selectedOptions=

their warehouse is in woodlands.............can go there and try out fitting............but last I head they moving to a bigger unit at the same level...........pls call or check with them if going..............

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 1

Just any cheap shoes will get you running injury free if you lean towards fore foot strike rather than heel strikes.. because your nature human gait will cushion all the shocks upon landing. Hence you probably won't even need a shoe with whatever gel, air or memory foam cushioning soles at all. 

It's going to be your own human leg's doing all the work, pretty much safely.

If you run heel strike, even the thickest gel shoes will cause pain in your knees or ankle sooner or later, due to the direction of impact as you land. Unless.. you are jogging ..not running. 

And just a note for those who jog really slow, forget it, just walk. 

I am not against jogging, but I believe you are wasting your energy that all.,. you're not going to get fitter or thinner. Your fats will still be there.. LOL

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1