Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 JTS

MadDog70

those on selespeed (the 2.0litre) can fail on you. the 1.8 are on twinspark and full manual. the 3.2comes in selespeed (I think they use those on the F360) or manual.

the 2 litre shares the engine (Jet Thrust Stoichiometric) with the 156 JTS as well as the platform, but interior is 147.

nice 2+2 (almost a full 4 seater - quite comfy at the rear) and really nice design. but understeers real bad if pushed hard.

owned a 156JTS for 5 yrs. selespeed failed 3 times. else usual wear and tear. plastic parts will melt and become sticky (not the whole thing disintegrates lah).

also had a Brera V6 for 1 yr - trouble free.

usual workshops the guys go to - Alfa sportivo and Alfa city.

• Praise 1

(edited)

i like this one.. anyone knows approx how much dealers are offering for this car? depreciation now is abt 9.5k per day.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...447&DL=2479

I also worry about it's reliability... especially no more warranty now..

anyone has experience abt the fuel consumption?

i like the look of Alfa cars.. will be looking to buy one next Mar when my current ride is gone.

the stumbling block is the reliabilty...

btw, i tried to join the AROC forum but no reply... any other active alfa forums in sg?

thnx!

Edited by Firestorm9
  • Praise 2

Alfas are nice cars to drive . I used to own a GT and had my fair share of problems from selespeed speed stuck at reverse but there is a fix for this to the more serious one like ignition coil malfunction and engine oil leak. The car when I sold it was just over 2 1/2 years.

Buy it as a second car due to reliability issues. Having said that still hoping to drive an Alfa soon.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

i like this one.. anyone knows approx how much dealers are offering for this car? depreciation now is abt 9.5k per day.

:o:o

• Praise 1

those on selespeed (the 2.0litre) can fail on you. the 1.8 are on twinspark and full manual. the 3.2comes in selespeed (I think they use those on the F360) or manual.

3.2 GT only comes in manual, no selespeed.

• Praise 1

Is this a good buy, registered in 2008?

Any known problems that I should check for?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...916&DL=1389

i've the GT from 09 till now. i got it new so there aren't many serious issues so far. The main issues are engine oil consumption and selespeed.

as it's a used car, try to ask the dealer to let u send to the Alfa workshops in Sin Ming for a thorough check. At the same time, give the agent a call to enquire on the history. i don't recommend the STA inspection route. If you can't get it inspected at Alfa workshops, don't buy. No one knows for sure if the owner checks engine oil consumption regularly and furthermore, the agent uses a thinner oil, which makes the problem worse.

other issues, though will happen later is the injectors. The carbon build up is quite bad for this engine and so the injectors may need to change after 100k or so.

for my car, the selespeed accumulator failed before. it's not an expensive part but i got it free under warranty. As for the other selespeed part, the main actuator cost about 3k.

i can't say it's less reliable than VW's dsg as i've heard of dsg failures too. if u really have to buy,at least ensure u do the proper checks. overall, it's a very nice car to drive, good handling and decent pick up. u won't feel the same as driving a jap or german coupe. and it makes some good engine noise too.

Thnx to all for sharing your experiences!

Felipe, thnx for the detailed reply! Looks like u really take care of ur car! Any tots of selling next yr? I dun mind to buy from u! :D

Alfas are nice cars to drive . I used to own a GT and had my fair share of problems from selespeed speed stuck at reverse but there is a fix for this to the more serious one like ignition coil malfunction and engine oil leak. The car when I sold it was just over 2 1/2 years.

Buy it as a second car due to reliability issues. Having said that still hoping to drive an Alfa soon.

my selespeed became a jackpot one day down the suntec carpark ramp. numbers anyhow jumped and it died there, right in front of the entrance gate of the carpark. had to push the car in and luckily found a lot to push-park it head in. no joke.

called william from EA to help and the tow truck came in a while later.

I recalled another time the ignition coil or something failed. then I was running on 2 or 3 cylinders instead of 4. really no power and drove it all the way to Peter's.

other than these, everything else was great. extremely fun to drive. just don't get the automatic. it was terrible.

Thnx to all for sharing your experiences!

Felipe, thnx for the detailed reply! Looks like u really take care of ur car! Any tots of selling next yr? I dun mind to buy from u! :D

don't think so cos of high coe, and i made a vow to myself to drive this car at least till 100k, as my previous cars lasted not more than 60k. it's still a head turner despite being old model. tats alfa for ya, they age nicely.

other than these, everything else was great. extremely fun to drive. just don't get the automatic. it was terrible.

haha, but more reliable...it's such an irony to drive alfas sometimes.

Supercharged

Alfa GT is a pretty car... wld have been nice if it was RWD

if only it's easier and cheaper to maintain... but then... I would be driving a Toyota... [laugh]

Like the GT but I scared the gearbox gimme problems like the XC90...

• Praise 1

if only it's easier and cheaper to maintain... but then... I would be driving a Toyota... [laugh]

Like the GT but I scared the gearbox gimme problems like the XC90...

comparatively, the gear system in the alfa is relatively cheaper to maintain than the other complex ones.

(edited)

haha, but more reliable...it's such an irony to drive alfas sometimes.

yeah but I've heard from the GTA owners their selespeeds never break down....

edit: or rather, never heard of them complaining their selespeed breaking down. I do know at least 2 GTA owners on the selespeed.

Edited by Yattokame

i went to test drive the car yesterday, first time driving an Alfa! :) feels gd!

the handling is nice, cornering is superb...

but there is something i am not comfy with... the gear change..

there is jerk during gear chg and not smooth like an auto car.. the agent says it is normal for all alfa cars, including 159..

and when i rev hard, the gear wun auto shift up, it will be stuck at the same gear, so i hav to manually shift gear up, in doin so there is a lag..

are all these normal?

btw, anyone knows the FC for the 2.0 GT?

and approx what price is the dealer offering for this car to seller? (I dun wan to kena chop carrot [:p] )

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...447&DL=2479

thnx all!

↡ Advertisement