Odometer tampering cases on the rise here

MacDuck

Bought a used car from a dealer with milege around 89k at turf city in Jul 2017. Not the cheapest car in town then though. From the 2nd month onwards, my vehicle had been going in and out of workshop untill recent, decided to pay money and visit AD for diagnostics test. Was told milege in Feb 2017 was a high 181k. Unscrupulous dealer adjusted almost 100k of odometer....reporting to police and case in process...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Bought a used car from a dealer with milege around 89k at turf city in Jul 2017. Not the cheapest car in town then though. From the 2nd month onwards, my vehicle had been going in and out of workshop untill recent, decided to pay money and visit AD for diagnostics test. Was told milege in Feb 2017 was a high 181k. Unscrupulous dealer adjusted almost 100k of odometer....reporting to police and case in process...

What car is it? If it is a japanese car, it can easily do more than 200k km. Edited by camrysfe
  • Praise 2

sorry and hope your issues get addressed

but I have grown sceptical about such postings

most workshops have similar diagnostic test available so strange that being in and out of workshop and the extensive wear and tear, surely any workshop worth their grain of salt would highlight this suspicion to you.

The dealer who sold you the car must havesaid that the car wasrecentlyserviced by AD to convinceyou to buy. you may have seen the receipt from AD and car log book.

I wondered if you may be a competitor but if you are not I apologize

• Praise 1

For 2nd hand car buyers, just take it that one of the SOP of 2nd hand dealers is to adjust the odometer. I traded in a 1st hand car to the AD and given them the full service records. A few weeks later, I saw what appears to be my traded in car listed by a 3rd party 2nd hand dealer with heavily adjusted odo numbers.

• Praise 2

sorry to hear your plight and thanks for sharing

dont think u can do much unless have evidence to pin point where the change happened, not easy to prove

interesting to note that many used cars with a few years left frequently have mileage hovering below the psychological barrier of 100k

hope your car's problems get sorted out, high mileage not always equate to problems if well maintained

• Praise 8

It is commOn practice by used car dealers, if not how to sell more cars and earn profit. Only naive buyers will trust them. Used car dealers also got family to feed as well.

Sometimes just a simple phone call will do the trick. My friend was viewing a couple of used car at Commonwealth. 

He narrowed down to 1 car with so called full AD service record with mileage of 80k. Told him to give me the car model, number plate over the phone. 

I called the AD and request to book for the next servicing. 

Me: " Hi, I want to book for a car servicing"

AD: " Are you Mr. XXX? 

Me: "Yes I am. I am trying to book for my next servicing and can I know what is the charges for my next servicing and roughly what is the             mileage I should sent in? Sorry my wife is driving the car most of the time and thus, I didn't look at the servicing sticker"

AD: " oh the amount should be roughly $XXX and the mileage due should be 130K for the next servicing. 

Told my friend to look for another used car then. 

• Praise 9

sorry and hope your issues get addressed

but I have grown sceptical about such postings

most workshops have similar diagnostic test available so strange that being in and out of workshop and the extensive wear and tear, surely any workshop worth their grain of salt would highlight this suspicion to you.

The dealer who sold you the car must havesaid that the car wasrecentlyserviced by AD to convinceyou to buy. you may have seen the receipt from AD and car log book.

I wondered if you may be a competitor but if you are not I apologize

Thanks. I am just a humble buyer. It was after parting a few thousand (due to my ignorance) of repairs that my workshop think i should call AD and pay a visit for diagnostic test as those wear and tear and re-surfacing fault codes are not common for a vehicle below 100000k.

Sometimes just a simple phone call will do the trick. My friend was viewing a couple of used car at Commonwealth.

He narrowed down to 1 car with so called full AD service record with mileage of 80k. Told him to give me the car model, number plate over the phone.

I called the AD and request to book for the next servicing.

Me: " Hi, I want to book for a car servicing"

AD: " Are you Mr. XXX?

Me: "Yes I am. I am trying to book for my next servicing and can I know what is the charges for my next servicing and roughly what is the mileage I should sent in? Sorry my wife is driving the car most of the time and thus, I didn't look at the servicing sticker"

AD: " oh the amount should be roughly $XXX and the mileage due should be 130K for the next servicing.

Told my friend to look for another used car then.

If i have joined this forum earlier, i would have pick up a trick or two. Previously before buying, i called AD but was not given info. Wrote in also no reply. Anyway, hope there could be some form of enforcement on odometer tampering that is way unreasonable like 100000k difference.

sorry to hear your plight and thanks for sharing

dont think u can do much unless have evidence to pin point where the change happened, not easy to prove

interesting to note that many used cars with a few years left frequently have mileage hovering below the psychological barrier of 100k

hope your car's problems get sorted out, high mileage not always equate to problems if well maintained

Thanks but guess dealer know we can cause them no harm even though i have some records in messages but not a direct admission of tampering the odometer. You are right too if the vehicle is well maintained and driven, even at high milege, the vehicle can be as good...
  • Praise 1

It is simple common sense to check the mileage with the AD before you purchase that used car. 

Even if the car is not serviced at AD after the warranty period, you can still gauge the actual mileage.

In any case, I am surprised the authorities are turning  a blind eye on this matter. It can be life and death matter if the critical wear & tear parts are not replaced.

• Praise 1

It is simple common sense to check the mileage with the AD before you purchase that used car. 

Even if the car is not serviced at AD after the warranty period, you can still gauge the actual mileage.

In any case, I am surprised the authorities are turning  a blind eye on this matter. It can be life and death matter if the critical wear & tear parts are not replaced.

Encourage you all to check out this website - https://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=UF9919*

You can search ANY car in New Zealand using this and can purchase a comprehensive report to see if money is owing. 

If NZ can do this - and be very assured we are "cowboy town" compared to SIngapore for imports, repairs, etc etc then I don't see why Singapore can't...

For the record - UF9919 is my old car :-) 

• Praise 1

Limo company cars - yr 2008 can travel almost 300 K.

So its possible used cars odometer has been tempered with - exterior wise still looks good.

Be careful everyone

If inspection centres keep odometer records, at least new used car owners can confirm the mileage when sending for inspection.

Difficult to find out too if servicing not done regularly at Agent/same PI workshop

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=601817&DL=1000

Everybody is doing it ...

but please the word you want is TAMPERED 

Tempered has a very different meaning: 

Metallurgy.

1. the degree of hardness and strength imparted to a metal, as byquenching, heat treatment, or cold working.
  2. the percentage of carbon in tool steel.
  3. the operation of tempering. 

Everybody is doing it ...

but please the word you want is TAMPERED 

Tempered has a very different meaning: 

Metallurgy.

1. the degree of hardness and strength imparted to a metal, as byquenching, heat treatment, or cold working.
  2. the percentage of carbon in tool steel.
  3. the operation of tempering. 

hi grammar polis....long time no see...hows de sheep?

What we need is tempered odo then

tampon odo better...protected....hahahaha

For 2nd hand car buyers, just take it that one of the SOP of 2nd hand dealers is to adjust the odometer. I traded in a 1st hand car to the AD and given them the full service records. A few weeks later, I saw what appears to be my traded in car listed by a 3rd party 2nd hand dealer with heavily adjusted odo numbers.

As buyer, i do accept some form of adjustment to break consumer behaviour (although this is not right anyway), but not anything beyond 30-40k where this has great impact on the car performance and buyers’ safety especially for car 5 years and above ...however, not much any local authorities can do except to mitigate via civil litigation....

As buyer, i do accept some form of adjustment to break consumer behaviour (although this is not right anyway), but not anything beyond 30-40k where this has great impact on the car performance and buyers’ safety especially for car 5 years and above ...however, not much any local authorities can do except to mitigate via civil litigation....

steady one.

Authority cannot do nuts. even carosell also booming biz

https://sg.carousell.com/p/change-mileage-140465174/?ref=profile&ref_page=2&ref_referrer=%2Fmgt_auto%2F%3Fpage%3D2&ref_sId=4880465

• Praise 2

Mine was almost 100K down. I think a better way is to check the registration date and add around 20K km per year and take it from there. Just take what 2nd hand dealers listed or said as stories except those easily verifiable facts.

2nd hand car buyers really have to do more homework as it's an uneven playing field even with the lemon law in place.

• Praise 1

Refer to @majong74

his suggestion outwit AD.....however, i was refused enquiries by my AD just before i purchase the vehicle....i must admit that it was my ignorance and not as smart ....ha ha ha blame no one ...but by coming to this forum, i grow...not bad after all

@Sdf4786k Wow this is a open challenge to authorities...just like catch me if you can....
↡ Advertisement