Odometer tampering cases on the rise here

MacDuck

no matter the odo reading, before buying the used car the buyer should do a thorough check on all the tell tale wear and tear parts of the car. if buyer really wants to avoid odo tampering, then go for new car.

• Praise 2

Common practice to most used car dealers. Should be expected! Check the condition and performance will help a lot, look into the service record or check with Ad can help as well.

• Praise 1

Sometimes just a simple phone call will do the trick. My friend was viewing a couple of used car at Commonwealth. 

He narrowed down to 1 car with so called full AD service record with mileage of 80k. Told him to give me the car model, number plate over the phone. 

I called the AD and request to book for the next servicing. 

Me: " Hi, I want to book for a car servicing"

AD: " Are you Mr. XXX? 

Me: "Yes I am. I am trying to book for my next servicing and can I know what is the charges for my next servicing and roughly what is the             mileage I should sent in? Sorry my wife is driving the car most of the time and thus, I didn't look at the servicing sticker"

AD: " oh the amount should be roughly $XXX and the mileage due should be 130K for the next servicing. 

Told my friend to look for another used car then. 

i tried before. called and gave the car number, and then he asked me the name of the owner...... picha lobang...

• Praise 1

go big or go home.

[thumbsup]

As long as its legal. You can do no wrong.

that's the issue, govt still deem it's 'legal'. [thumbsdown]

need to charge 1 such dealer first before the rest of the dealers stand down.

that's the issue, govt still deem it's 'legal'. [thumbsdown]

need to charge 1 such dealer first before the rest of the dealers stand down.

how to charge?

Was the authorities at any time cheated of the mileage, and hence earnings of erp was affected?

Was the changes affecting any safety issues that led to the death of the driver , buyer?

u see a problem, I see an opportunity...

Try selling the same stuff lor and make some earning. Easy money and can dont declare. Carosell some more.

IF kanna caught that adjusting mileage can make someone rich because of income, then the authorities will do something about it.

Other then that, waste time and waste bandwidth. Its almost crying to the authorities that your feelings were hurt when the mileage was a lie.

Move on lor ...

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

no matter the odo reading, before buying the used car the buyer should do a thorough check on all the tell tale wear and tear parts of the car. if buyer really wants to avoid odo tampering, then go for new car.

I think the issue lies in the lack of transparencies when you buy a used car. Not about old or new. Hack , sometimes we buy new car also get into arguments that the AD dealer gave us the showroom car or the batch that was used for homologation.

And many here wants a form of governance in this area and not muck around with COE CAT A 130BHP or VES 20 000 penalties.

But on a bigger picture, if the authorities come in, there will again be an internet storm. Small stuff like this do until so big. nothing better to do, kill the entrepreneur ? 

what the differences between selling illegal exos vs adjust mileage?

How come dont catch the exos shop?

No end to this argument.

Edited by Sdf4786k

Wah sei.....130,000km for 1.5yr old car. Grab/Uber biz muz be good. At least its an honest seller.

Expect to see used car dealer later advertised it as low mileage only 13,000km....lol

post-1105-0-73578300-1516243579_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 1

Wah sei.....130,000km for 1.5yr old car. Grab/Uber biz muz be good. At least its an honest seller.

Expect to see used car dealer later advertised it as low mileage only 13,000km....lol

88k per year  :dizzy: huat ah... 

Too honest also hard to sell car

this car (3 series) belong to his wife and still driving.

the mileage is so low, he have to resort to using his wife's car during wkends to bring up the mileage. else even largi lower. imagine 2km*2*365=2,000km per year

his own car (e class) put at home during wkend to rest.

so when they go m'sia they take the low car (altho' a smaller one) so that it can clock more mileage.

Your fren's wife should use obike instead. Save money, save garage space, save trouble, can exercise and oso help one peasant like me own a car.
  • Praise 1

Whoever wants to buy it better get all its maintenance records.  [rolleyes]

Twincharged

Change the whole odometer considered as tampering with it? I changed the odometer on my car myself but didn't have the tools to change the mileage so I just left it as the mileage on the new odometer.

I bought a car from Car GXXX last year 2017 at a mileage of 114K. Coincidentally, the workshop that I sent to for servicing was the same one done by the previous owner. I was told that the mileage in 2014 was already 199K. 

Any advice from anyone?

• Praise 1