Odometer tampering cases on the rise here

MacDuck

Does it mean that it'll be safer to buy direct from owner? Or do people not in the circle have access to workshop with this odo adjustment 'service'? Just curious...

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Same here. My previous car was almost 6 years old and mileage 65K. Sold off at a gd deal. Never tweaked mileage and fully serviced at AD. My work place is just 5km away.

If your car is fully service at AD throughout the entire period, and with proof of service booklet. Even the mileage is below 50K also is true. [rolleyes]

Supersonic

Does it mean that it'll be safer to buy direct from owner? Or do people not in the circle have access to workshop with this odo adjustment 'service'? Just curious...

it's always better to buy direct from owner. unfortunately many buyers lowball the seller.

i got a fren 3 yrs old car only 12,000km... serious.

home to work is 2km.

HEY!!! thats me!!!!!! ..are u my friend?

anyway my car the same, 12k, 3yo (took over my dad's car). working 10 mins (15 mins with traffic) from home. Ppl see, straight away offer to buy my car..but exterior looks like 6 yo car..all scratched. Still on original tyres!!!! and looks like original air filter!!!! changing tyre soon due to age.

(edited)

Agreed, if you buy a car to clock low mileage, might as well dont buy. [rolleyes] Since car already so expensive here, so we must make full use of the car.

this is where u may be wrong..those low mileage most likley staying and working in the 'outer suburbs' (eg stay Simei, work Tampines) so they dont contribute to the congestion (which is the real problem) Even if u remove all these drivers, the congestion remains = the COE will also remain super high.

Problem is the few roads linking the country....Many ppl stay one side of country and work other side. They will use the highways and with only 3 highways connecting East to West...PIE, KPE/TPE and ECP/AYE so its not enough. 1 accident, die liao...and everyday seems like got accident.

So short distance driver (most likley dont use highway) most likely would not contribute to the current congestion problem.

To really solve the problem, must look at it objectively...filter out the issues, instead of simple cause and solution...cause = too many cars, solution = reduce cars....like that difficult to solve problem. Like u mentions, those traveling short distance will most likely dont buy cars and these drivers will most likely NOT contribute to the congestion. (unless u are talking about weekend lack of CP at SC...different story) so at the end, the actual problem will not be solved at all.

BTW i am short distance driver and i have been in a jam only a few times driving for 6 years liao (going to friends house at Woodland at 7pm by SLE and once driving back from Jurong using AYE at 7pm, feel asleep in car cause stationary for so long, kena horn)....so i may not know the frustration of the drivers stuck in the jam everyday. Those jam super slow for up to 1 hr!!!!! . Discounting accident jams which is only 10-20 min slow but moving traffic

Looks like the GPS ERP can be the 'savior'...cheap cars but if u drive in congested area..super expensive ERP. Also the CPs at prime locations will be super expensive (already now Shenton Way CPs $4-5 per hour liao.....Those staying and working outside these congested area will benefit the most. We can actually have more cars, cheaper cars and ""solve"" the congestion problem as well...but very unlikely to be implemented anytime soon.

Edited by Ungtiong

It's a chic and egg thingy. If dealer post real mileage, potential buyer won't even wan to consider or test drive. That dealer sees and then learn that more and more deals closed when other dealers tweaked mileage....so monkey see monkey do. E rest is messy history.....its nt abt integrity or honesty liao cos being such means no business.

Best of cos is to post true mileage but provide some form of assurance eg. If e car is 80k km liao, send it for its required major servicing. Provide true receipt of servicing, stating exactly parts changed etc. A buyer will knw its true mileage but is satisfied that at e very least he/she is driving off with a properly serviced ride now. Seriously, nt all major servicing works out to thousands unless u consider major replacements like gearboxes or engines or those luxurious conti rides with a premium on parts.

I hv been very lucky that all my preowned rides *touch wood* all with verifiable mileage....and even my rides traded in were all advertised with true mileage. Perhaps e dealers dared do so becos I always passed them full servicing records with receipts as well as major servicing parts replaced where deemed necessary by my mechanic.

Just a sharing and hope we as car owners or potential owners will also consider a car's reliability is not solely based on its mileage....and nt harp on this to bargain down the car price. Personally, I feel that consumers or potential buyers can be so misled and think that a lower mileage car must be very reliable.

Safe ride and look beyond mileage.....if cannot tahan true mileage, buy brand new or try BMW....bus, mrt and walk. No offence meant and just personal thoughts.

Well Mine coming to 4th yr dis July and I'm only at 62000km.. There might be a few whom dun wk too far fr wk n park their car at wk most of the time like me :) but sad to say dis dealers exploits dis grey areas :(

Turbocharged

Nobody would believe genuine low mileage. [:p]

so low mileage is no longer a selling point. [laugh]

If your total mileage per day is less than 5km, and seldom use your car on weekends then maybe even when your car is more than 5 year old, mileage could be less than 100K. But dont think there is many such cases la.

Got, no lying, honest truth, my Mazda 6 only did 100,000k+ in 9yrs. Dealer exported out.

maybe ur fren oso temper wif his odo? [laugh]

i had an opc once and onli drive it on weekends once in a while juz to keep the oil circulating and oredi i clock 9k in 1 year.

10 trips back and forth on the weekend also weekend drive out mah. [laugh]

Supersonic

10 trips back and forth on the weekend also weekend drive out mah. [laugh]

ahemm...one can reach thailand and back within a weekend too..... [lipsrsealed][laugh][laugh]

Agreed, cannot believe buyers would believe that a car which is 5 year old or more, mileage can be less than 100K. [hur]

i know of someone whose car is about 6 years old and mileage is less than 50k.

he is the first owner.

Low mileage does not mean good if previous owner did not take care. While high mileage may be good if previous owner take care and replace wear & tear parts.

Buy used car, must be prepared to inherit problems as well.

Agreed, cannot believe buyers would believe that a car which is 5 year old or more, mileage can be less than 100K. [hur]

Hello.....mine is just 5 yrs old and I only clocked 76000km leh.........and my job needs me to travel to customers' side too!!! [:p]

If you need to get 2nd hand car, if possible, buy from someone u know, like collegue, friends, relatives. Seriously, i don't trust those 2nd hand dealers.

Mine is too! 6 years old, not quite 86k.

Daily travel about 10km.

(edited)

I think this problem is practised so widely in the industry that most 2nd hand car buyers know that most of the time, mileage is not accurate. So they will just buy the car and send for servicing to replace the wear and tear parts.

I think mileage is not so much of an issue as long as you send for checks, no accident, no expensive parts to replace like gearbox etc., you like the car, you can buy. I believe if you buy a 140k km car at 4 years old, you can drive until 350k km till its 10 years old, I think the engine will still be able to serve you well if you continue to renew the COE. Look at the mileage of the cars in other countries. It is all your regular preventive servicing that plays a part. Toyota would not design an engine that only allows you to drive 20k km per year or once your odometer hit 200k km, the engine just shuts off and tell you that it has reached the end of its life right?

its more of the mentality.

higher mileage=higher wear and tear

then dealer must lower selling price as buyers will say

1) wah.. mileage so high. must replace this replace that, total almost 6k. can cut 6k from selling price?

2) wah.. 4 years old car drive so much liao. 140k.. u sure can last me another 6 years with no problems with engine bo?(if dealer say not sure, u think he can sell 1 car at all?)

Somehow, i find alot of car buyers in SG have the "point 2" mentality...

How I shoot them back is,

if cars cannot be driven for 10 years with >300k km, how do cars in countries with no COE survive? 1 year can clock 50k easily

so are dealers are trying to chop ppl OR are buyers forcing dealers to do this?

then again, i agree some form of recording down would be good

Edited by Mllcg
↡ Advertisement