ST Forum: Give Former Minor Offenders A Chance

Vulcann

Precisely why one shouldn't dabble with crime in the first place...

Like they say: Do the crime, pay the time.

And if I may add further: Do the crime, pay the time & can't earn a dime .

Having said that, society should accept those reformed ex-cons else they may go back to the old ways & the vicious cycle repeats once more.

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Online...ory_813927.html

Give former minor offenders a chance

Published on Jun 23, 2012

↡ Advertisement

Crime Punishment come in different forms, perhaps one after another.

Society punishment is almost perpetual.

Can't get job, family humiliated, children suffered, etc. These just don't disappear.

There's still chance to work somewhere, may not be exactly the one wanted.

Crime Punishment come in different forms, perhaps one after another.

Society punishment is almost perpetual.

Can't get job, family humiliated, children suffered, etc. These just don't disappear.

There's still chance to work somewhere, may not be exactly the one wanted.

Agree.

That's why one must know since day 1 crime does not pay... [whip]

in the 1st place, dun do crime. if u wanna do, pay the price. dun blame the society and dun even tell me abt yellow ribbon.

You all tcss can the SCDF to gun ever got Chan to become employee of SCDF ?

If yes then I will willingly go LLST.

the garment don't give second chances too.

You all tcss can the SCDF to gun ever got Chan to become employee of SCDF ?

If yes then I will willingly go LLST.

the garment don't give second chances too.

Some do crime to survive and make ends meet, so to accumulate more wealth and continue to enjoy/live a high life? Some crimes inflict direct and servere pains/sufferings on other innocent people, some crimes are almost victimless.

Twincharged
(edited)

post-14834-0-95948700-1493857304_thumb.png

Saw from Facebook page on people comments..

Interesting, while government appear in media to keep promote yellow ribbon and mentioned that to give ex-convict a chance to get a job. On the other hand, working in airport, security is so tight that even a worker just want to work in a stall, if he is ex-convict, airport police will not issue pass to him and he will not be hired.

This mindset for airport police who issue the pass should change. This person just want to make a fresh new start and work at a stall only, not dealing with sensitive information. If work dealing with sensitive information I can understand. But work at a stall what is the risk? Risk of starting a fight? Risk of stealing? All these are quite common even if the person is not ex-convict..

Edited by Yewheng

Supersonic

No head no tail leh. You post one screenshot from facebook but without any background....

• Praise 1

No head no tail leh. You post one screenshot from facebook but without any background....

for him the head not important, as long as he gets to voice the tail.

Twincharged

I think they are talking about some ex-convict cannot work as stall assistant but cannot get a pass because he got criminal record. I guess not fair to compare to airport since that is a sensitive area.

But some offences really stupid. My uncle was charged with reckless driving when he was younger. Convicted in court and fined. End up, he had a hard time finding a job. Cuz most companies like to ask if you have been convicted in a court of law. So although they have changed the law so that these kind of minor offences can have criminal record removed, it still doesn't help cuz although no criminal record already, he has still been convicted in a court of law before.

Supersonic

I think they are talking about some ex-convict cannot work as stall assistant but cannot get a pass because he got criminal record. I guess not fair to compare to airport since that is a sensitive area.

But some offences really stupid. My uncle was charged with reckless driving when he was younger. Convicted in court and fined. End up, he had a hard time finding a job. Cuz most companies like to ask if you have been convicted in a court of law. So although they have changed the law so that these kind of minor offences can have criminal record removed, it still doesn't help cuz although no criminal record already, he has still been convicted in a court of law before.

Some companies might state "except traffic offenses" thought.

Twincharged
(edited)

Just read the comments is already know le la.. this guy talking about offenders will never be able to get clearance to have security pass to work in airport even if he is just working for a stall and not dealing with sensative information.

​The topic is somewhat unrelated, but somehow, when they post in facebook and it deviate to talk about ex-convit not given a chance. So I just screenshot this interesting comment.

​Thats what I am trying to bring across and see whether they could relax abit. Sensitive area? whole airport is sensitive area? not right?

​Work in the stall only, where got sensitive area? 

​When government keep promoting yellow ribbion and yet ex-convict want to work in airport as a stall also cannot get. We know that there is still a long way to go in terms on what government is promoting. Hopefully can see better improvement and help ex-convict out so that they could turn a new living. Changi Airport group could be the one taking the lead, of coz not hire them to work in sensitive area, but area like in a stall, no issue what..

Edited by Yewheng

Hypersonic

Maybe next time he can put in bracket to state the nature of the offence, so the hirer knows it's just petty offences.

• Praise 1

Some of this question is like templates. Unless the postion is like very critical, i doubt the HR really go dig the records from court or SPF. So in the questionaire just put no.

Twincharged

Even drive Uber they also ask you for criminal record. Where got forgiving.

Yeah.. Yellow ribbon effective? Not quite, maybe 10%,90% for show and just like to let public know there is hope for ex-convict.. Haiz..

↡ Advertisement