ST Forum: Time For Three-Quarter Tank Rule To Go

Vulcann

this news come at the right time to remind everyone ....

Kidnapped S'porean family now safely back home

A Singaporean family is now safely back home after a harrowing experience early Sunday morning in Johor Bahru.

37-year-old Rita Zahara was driving back to Singapore with her sister, two children and her maid.

About three kilometres from the Immigration Checkpoint at Woodlands, she stopped at a petrol station to top up her tank.

Her sister, two children and maid remained in the locked car while Rita left to buy fruits.

That was when two men armed with guns and knives demanded they open the door.

After accessing the car, they sped off with the four members in the car.

Upon seeing that her car was missing, Rita called her sister's cell phone, which was answered by one of the kidnappers.

They demanded money from her and threatened to kill her family if she went to the police.

For the next four hours, Rita negotiated with kidnappers.

At the same time, she was also in contact with Malaysian and Singapore authorities.

The kidnappers finally released her family by the roadside.

Helped by villagers nearby, they were brought back to the police station.

The culprits stole her car and all the valuables inside worth some 200,000 Malaysian ringgit.

RM200k is just about over SGD80k so maybe they are talking about the car value itself?

In any case, a wake up call for folks to try to be vigilant when topping up petrols up north.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

I love road trips, be it by car or bike.

However i realise there is really alot of Singaporeans going in PURELY with the sole purpose of pumping petrol.

I don't know how a wish can pump 50++ litres, a swift can pump 30++ litres, old honda civic VTI 40+ litres..

either they have a switch installed or they tried their luck.

This is causing alot of unnecessary jams, i will rather they check more frequently....best scenario if they check every single car, like how they check your boot when returning.

[thumbsup] Yeap almost 80% of SG cars at JB petrol stations near CIQ pumped more than RM 100 worth of petrol when I returned from my road trip a few weeks ago.

The jam is crazy these days.

Edited by Voodooman

I love road trips, be it by car or bike.

However i realise there is really alot of Singaporeans going in PURELY with the sole purpose of pumping petrol.

I don't know how a wish can pump 50++ litres, a swift can pump 30++ litres, old honda civic VTI 40+ litres..

either they have a switch installed or they tried their luck.

This is causing alot of unnecessary jams, i will rather they check more frequently....best scenario if they check every single car, like how they check your boot when returning.

Depends on yr car make and model. I filled in 48 litres for my Passat, with fuel gauge needle pointing at One mark above the half tank mark.

But that requires patience. Fuel pump cut off at 33 litres. Took me another 15 mins to slowly squeeze in another 15+ litres. But I do this only in the Wee hours when there is no queue behind.

post-27974-0-33745400-1471151129_thumb.jpg

Depends on yr car make and model. I filled in 48 litres for my Passat, with fuel gauge needle pointing at One mark above the half tank mark.

But that requires patience. Fuel pump cut off at 33 litres. Took me another 15 mins to slowly squeeze in another 15+ litres. But I do this only in the Wee hours when there is no queue behind.

Fierce

Brother don't use phone to take pic in petrol station [:p]

Your fuel tank is 90-100L?

• Praise 1

15mins?  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Your fuel tank is 90-100L?

Fuel tank is 70 litres.

Am equally puzzled how the tank can accommodate 48 litres with the fuel gauge needle pointing at a mark above half tank.

• Praise 1

Fuel tank is 70 litres.

Am equally puzzled how the tank can accommodate 48 litres with the fuel gauge needle pointing at a mark above half tank.

some of the petrol in the tank evaporates while u are pumping (dripping?) new petrol in.

[laugh]

• Praise 4

Fuel tank is 70 litres.

When your nozzle clicked, it isn't really full yet, because there is air in the fuel tank that prevents the petrol from going in.

Eventually air will be pushed out and now the space for air is smaller, you can start squeezing the nozzle again and the same repeats. Some people do that by shaking the car for the air to be dispersed out

Though the tank itself is full, you can still squeeze in more petrol as the pipe to the tank can hold some extra petrol.

• Praise 1

When your nozzle clicked, it isn't really full yet, because there is air in the fuel tank that prevents the petrol from going in.

Eventually air will be pushed out and now the space for air is smaller, you can start squeezing the nozzle again and the same repeats. Some people do that by shaking the car for the air to be dispersed out

Though the tank itself is full, you can still squeeze in more petrol as the pipe to the tank can hold some extra petrol.

Ahem... I didn't F*** my car by doing the humping Action in squeeizing in the extra 15+ litres

Ahem... I didn't F*** my car by doing the humping Action in squeeizing in the extra 15+ litres

That is if you want the petrol to flow in faster.

If not, just wait for some time, the petrol will flow in and push out the air eventually.

Think the extra is due to the petrol evaporated. Lol

• Praise 4

Twincharged

Fuel tank is 70 litres.

In the past, I was told cuz sometimes the shape of the fuel tank will affect the way the needle moves. It is not linear. But Passat should be quite modern right? Still equally inaccurate? I know my hyundai half tank on the gauge is not really half tank. First half of the tank can go 300+km, second half about 200km before it touches the E.

Edited by Nzy

For most cars , you can squeeze another 10-12 litres in after the click . If you employ extreme methods ( humping the car , propping one end of the car up with  a small ramp ) , you can possibly squeeze in 15-18 litres

• Praise 1

For most cars , you can squeeze another 10-12 litres in after the click . If you employ extreme methods ( humping the car , propping one end of the car up with a small ramp ) , you can possibly squeeze in 15-18 litres

Wah. That's a 15 dollar savings leh. More importantly, no tax money for money grubbing SG. Next time I shall try.

How long do I have to wait without jumping?

Wah. That's a 15 dollar savings leh. More importantly, no tax money for money grubbing SG. Next time I shall try.

How long do I have to wait without jumping?

don't really know , from what I estimate another 5 mins or so . It's always a spectacle to see what drivers of SG registered cars do in order to squeeze that few litres in when they refuel in JB.

Edited by S4vtec
↡ Advertisement