Problem with Domestic Maid - yr best advice please.

A_korusawa

Based on my limited knowledge, this is what I would do if I'm in the TS shoes:

1. Cancel the work permit immediately, citing the maid has refused to work for you and has run away. You are not getting the services paid for, why should you continue to pay the levy?

2. Don't be hoodwinked by the fact that there is outstanding investigation against your wife. For workers with outstanding cases against their employers, MOM grants a special permit for them to stay on (but they cannot work), so that they can settle their outstanding matters. There have been reported cases of errant bosses (usually in construction industry), who did not pay their worker's salary, and proceeded to cancel their work permits hoping that they can deport the worker quickly. These workers, with the help of HOME or other VWOs, have managed to get special permits to stay and help in the investigation.

Don't become a victim of the maid's BS.

↡ Advertisement

Get ready any evidence that you treated the maid well, like pics of outings, neighbours willing to be witness, tour receipts etc.

Work permit no choice have to wait for I/O and maid agency also can't help much since they also dunno whether the maid is telling the truth.

Don't bang table with the agency until the matter is resolved. Agencies sometimes can undertable nego with maid to settle amicably and if bang table with them, they may not be so willing to help as they don't really need to.

Sorry to hear about your plight but there is really nothing much more you can do at the moment, except my advice in my first sentence.

btw, Work Permit can be cancelled by yourself online.

1. Cancel the work permit immediately, citing the maid has refused to work for you and has run away. You are not getting the services paid for, why should you continue to pay the levy?

2. Don't be hoodwinked by the fact that there is outstanding investigation against your wife. For workers with outstanding cases against their employers, MOM grants a special permit for them to stay on (but they cannot work), so that they can settle their outstanding matters. There have been reported cases of errant bosses (usually in construction industry), who did not pay their worker's salary, and proceeded to cancel their work permits hoping that they can deport the worker quickly. These workers, with the help of HOME or other VWOs, have managed to get special permits to stay and help in the investigation.

wow.... didn't know about item 2. thanks for the info

btw, Work Permit can be cancelled by yourself online.

TS already stated that he can't do it because of the pending investigation.

Quote :"Called MOM, they adviced to speak with concerned IOfficer for permission to cancel WPermit. Called police, they dunno if any abovementioned report was made against us, just asked us to wait . . . Called maid agency, I summarized the answer: 'no disclosure until investigation ends'" End quote

For point 2, TS' case is different because he is the employer attempting to cancel the work permit AFTER he (or the wife) is the subject of the police report made against. It is not that the worker now has no permit due to errant boss and the MOE steps in to issue special permit. The police won't allow TS to just cancel the permit until the investigation is over.

For point 2, TS' case is different because he is the employer attempting to cancel the work permit AFTER he (or the wife) is the subject of the police report made against. It is not that the worker now has no permit due to errant boss and the MOE steps in to issue special permit. The police won't allow TS to just cancel the permit until the investigation is over.

Ok, noted. Looks like TS is in a LPPL situation. Sucks to be grabbed by the balls by a maid, who does not even attempt to do the bare minimum standard of work since Day 1.

i believe TS can call MOM to ask for a request to suspend the levy as the maid is already not working for him

Ok, noted. Looks like TS is in a LPPL situation. Sucks to be grabbed by the balls by a maid, who does not even attempt to do the bare minimum standard of work since Day 1.

Having a maid sometimes feel like having an adopted child.....have to worry about her welfare, mental well-being, keep her away from lecherous FTs, work-life balance etc. More trouble than it is worth.

(edited)

i believe TS can call MOM to ask for a request to suspend the levy as the maid is already not working for him

Can but that is also after the investigation and probably have to get the agency to come in to confirm the day the maid ran back. So that's why cannot piss-off agency. In this case, I won't say whether TS' agency is good or bad....they are sometimes hand-tied as well. If they side with employers too much, no maids will wanna go thru them.

Edited by Elmo

It's best to negotiate with yr agent to help you. I had a bad experience with a new indo maid. She ran away after 3 days with 7 bags later she complained about us. Lucky our agent settled all the problem for us with the embassy. So coincident the we replacement maid was staying with her during the investigation. Found out later from my maid she was boasting around telling the rest she is just here for holiday. MOM should keep a list of "professional maid". They really make life difficult for us. However in general most of the indo maids are very good.

just a note for everyone with a maid.

recently i received a letter from indonesia which was addressed to my previous maid.

while the envelope state from mother(ibu), inside was actually pamplets and a letter from her indonesia agent with comparison chart comparing how much more she can earn in HK and more free time in HK etc, encouraging her to call their indonesia number where they will advise her further.

if the previous maid was still with us, she would had just finished paying off her loan but not her contract(2 years). And like what TS experience, she can chut pattern to force us to send her back so that she can apply to go HK and work.

TS already stated that he can't do it because of the pending investigation.

Quote :"Called MOM, they adviced to speak with concerned IOfficer for permission to cancel WPermit. Called police, they dunno if any abovementioned report was made against us, just asked us to wait . . . Called maid agency, I summarized the answer: 'no disclosure until investigation ends'" End quote

can still cancel work permit and ICA will issue social visit pass. let the police extend her social pass if the investigation drag on & on......

The IO is paid to do his job and why listen to him not to cancel the WP. With the WP not cancel, the $5000/- bond is still effective and is peg to the owner of the maid.... [mad]

Maid and your family depends on fate and luck, this is what me and my wife gathered after so many years. Had changed a few maids, the reasons are lazy or stupid, basically not meeting expectations.

Had 3 maids, all either want to go home or we sent her packing. the 4th one was a reject that my wife saw at the maid agency. She was rejected by her ex-employee and now had stayed with us for the last 12 years. Her pay is higher now, hard-working, took care of my 3 kids and parents and all the house work to the best of her abilities.

Sent her for operation cos of health issue, send her home twice a year to see her son. Part of the essential family now. now my wife no longer works, maid is still with us.

So it depends on fate. Keep looking until the right one comes around.

(edited)

Maid and your family depends on fate and luck, this is what me and my wife gathered after so many years. Had changed a few maids, the reasons are lazy or stupid, basically not meeting expectations.

Had 3 maids, all either want to go home or we sent her packing. the 4th one was a reject that my wife saw at the maid agency. She was rejected by her ex-employee and now had stayed with us for the last 12 years. Her pay is higher now, hard-working, took care of my 3 kids and parents and all the house work to the best of her abilities.

Sent her for operation cos of health issue, send her home twice a year to see her son. Part of the essential family now. now my wife no longer works, maid is still with us.

So it depends on fate. Keep looking until the right one comes around.

Totally agreed!

About cessation of WP:

If one cancelled WP with the knowledge of any investigation going on, he/she will be slapped by police for not co-operation & the intention to hide or differ accoutability -it will worsen the case, or even being Fine!!!

Under MOM - once cancelled, employer is responsible to have the maid repatriated else losing or bare with the bond!

This explains why those construction employers get very heavy fines!!!

This also explains why most Developers get their labor managers to be their 'scapegoat' for these cases!

I'm glad nobody flame me on the accusation, THANKS! We spent 1/2 day with the IO (actually I called up to the Superintendent for query) cooperating with the police. Of cos, its obviously total baseless on the allegations! Yes, I supportted my record with historical emails to the agency, proof of damages done on my households (2 TVs), choked pipes and the kindness we did for her, i.e. we bought her vitamins, medicines, kopi and all meals during our holidays.

Now, the Maid Agency. . . .

Yes, its obvious that the agency played a major role here!

1st, the agency should have arranged to talk with us before sending the maid to the police directly! This is obvious, right?

2nd, I 'collect' the maid in the Bukit Timah Branch just minutes upon her arrival. How can she run to the Yio Chu Kang Branch instead!

3rd, its obvious that the agency owe me money & replacements (not to mention I paid again for agency fees).

.... but now, I may be slapped with a bill on X no. days on maid's stay in the agency's lodge for X no. of days on the investigation.

Look, even if I write in to have the maid successfully blacklisted from working here.... its so easy for them to come back with a new name & new passport!

If you notice, its usually a single name only, on the passport!!!

MOM will definitely ward-off the levy upon my application, but this is a small fractions to the bill from the agency, as abovementioned!

Yes to All, I will reveal the Maid Agency once I received closure paper from the police.

I will also bring this case up to the Assoc of EA, and Case Trust on the Maid Agency........... but does not mean that agency will get what they deserved.

Sigh, as what Eng40765 . . . its really fate & luck.

Before my ex-maid left us (6 yrs with us), I gave her 3mths extra, 2 laptops for her kids etc.) . . .

its just too bad that she was murdered for $ during her short stay in her kampong...... (she explained in my wife's dream 1 year later, and I get it confirmed later).

so I dunno if we still have stamina or the hope to keep looking until the right one comes around. . . .

Edited by A_korusawa

Sigh, as what Eng40765 . . . its really fate & luck.

Before my ex-maid left us (6 yrs with us), I gave her 3mths extra, 2 laptops for her kids etc.) . . .

its just too bad that she was murdered for $ during her short stay in her kampong...... (she explained in my wife's dream 1 year later, and I get it confirmed later).so I dunno if we still have stamina or the hope to keep looking until the right one comes around. . . .

this one a bit scary man, you should post this in the ghost thread, i think there is one.

Hypersonic

sad to hear that.

next maid try get from myanmar

i feel they are smart, humble, hardworking, friendly, and if you are lucky, slim and swee also :wub: . lolx

compared to most from other countries.

There are good exchanges of ideas and discussions.

No shouting or screaming. [thumbsup]

Most have compassion.

Everyone who want to employ a maid, has to go thru the course.

This course is BS one.

I been thru before n it's online only.

A maid is always a headache.

I had just send my 1.5yrs indo maid home w/o her knowing in advance.

Angry with her,but now whole family is happy even doing things ourselves.

↡ Advertisement