How much to replace shock absorbers?

SLSAMG88

You can buy everything new from Min Ghee. Shock absorber, spring, dust cover, bump stop, & strut mounts. Alternatively you can just go and get from scrap yard or ask your mech to get it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

You can buy everything new from Min Ghee. Shock absorber, spring, dust cover, bump stop, & strut mounts. Alternatively you can just go and get from scrap yard or ask your mech to get it.

Would scrap yard (used) reliable to last another 15months? I was thinking about it, since got only 15months left to go. Any scrap yard to recommend? :) Thank you

Would scrap yard (used) reliable to last another 15months? I was thinking about it, since got only 15months left to go. Any scrap yard to recommend? :) Thank you

Well... it depends on the extent you use your car. If you frequent the Malaysian B roads where the road surface is not as smooth compared to Singapore roads then the fully used set may not be optimum. I think the best best would be to buy the strut assembly and the rear spring from the scrap yard then change new shock absorbers. You can get relatively cheap KYB shocks from Yuen Thong. Thats what I would do if I am in your position.

seeking opinion

done the TC “Shock Absorber campaign package“(all 4 sides) at 90km

found rear passenger side shock absorber (1 pc) leaking at 140km

3 more years before end of COE. Planning to drive till min 9th year

-       Should just change the rear pair? (outside WS, OEM, $300/-)

-       Go for TC package again (all 4 sides) $650/-)

What will you do?

3 yrs is a long time. Cheapest is buy OEM from stockist and go jaybee to buy labor to fix; otherwise just fix in Sin.  Absorber shd be ~$60/pc and labor shd be ~ RM40/$40/pc. Ofc, price depends on model of car. Which car are u driving?

Thanks Flashbang.

I forgot to mentioned, my car was lowered by the previous owner with full set of D2 adjustable coilover or whatever you call that. Now the front right side absorber leaks & I cant get just 1 or 2 front replacement only. Since I have to get all 4, I tot I go back the original "un-lowered", as I have to do lots of running in Bolehland with potholes & humps EVERYWHERE. So, my mechanic said MUST buy full set with spring.

Your comments and advise, please. My car 15 months to go ONLY lo [dizzy]

Look for another same Lancer car model that is going to get scraped or trade in, and strike a deal with that owner to swap everything.  

Alot of 2007 models are getting scrapped and trade-in now........

• Praise 1

Thanks Flashbang.

I forgot to mentioned, my car was lowered by the previous owner with full set of D2 adjustable coilover or whatever you call that. Now the front right side absorber leaks & I cant get just 1 or 2 front replacement only. Since I have to get all 4, I tot I go back the original "un-lowered", as I have to do lots of running in Bolehland with potholes & humps EVERYWHERE. So, my mechanic said MUST buy full set with spring.

Your comments and advise, please. My car 15 months to go ONLY lo [dizzy]

Give you a few option.

1) Go buy new one. Full set will set you aside about a thousand at least. with labour inclusive(in Singapore).

2) Go scrapyard to get. The problem here is left spring may be from car A and right spring from car B. The car may not be balance.

3) Find a EX owner and swap out the parts. Pay 2 times labours cause 2 vehicles.

4) Go JB and look for a workshop. They should use the same parts as Proton something. The one with Lancer Ex body.

I saw the workshop I been to do swap for Proton Waja to Proton Waja. So your lancer Ex maybe can do that. Else, buy parts from JB workshop and do. Will be cheaper. I did mine at Malaysia. Original Toyota from Ric Tat is $125 per shock absorber. My JB workshop helped me get Tokico at $90 a piece. Two front shock change at RM600(plus alignment plus installation).

• Praise 1

Give you a few option.

1) Go buy new one. Full set will set you aside about a thousand at least. with labour inclusive(in Singapore).

2) Go scrapyard to get. The problem here is left spring may be from car A and right spring from car B. The car may not be balance.

3) Find a EX owner and swap out the parts. Pay 2 times labours cause 2 vehicles.

4) Go JB and look for a workshop. They should use the same parts as Proton something. The one with Lancer Ex body.

I saw the workshop I been to do swap for Proton Waja to Proton Waja. So your lancer Ex maybe can do that. Else, buy parts from JB workshop and do. Will be cheaper. I did mine at Malaysia. Original Toyota from Ric Tat is $125 per shock absorber. My JB workshop helped me get Tokico at $90 a piece. Two front shock change at RM600(plus alignment plus installation).

Fong Tat quoted me $684 (incl GST) for USED 4 shock absorbers with mounting, stopper/cover and spring... exclude labour

Is this reasonable? Fingers-crossed....hope can last me for another 14 months before scrap

you think I got "cut"?

Fong Tat quoted me $684 (incl GST) for USED 4 shock absorbers with mounting, stopper/cover and spring... exclude labour

Is this reasonable? Fingers-crossed....hope can last me for another 14 months before scrap

you think I got "cut"?

It is quite reasonable. Consider new shock, one piece around $110 for front, $90 for rear. Already set you aside $400. Plus mounting, stopper and cover and spring. It is quite okay. But like I said, since it is used. You probably may face issue like one side high, one side low cause of uneven wear from other vehicle.

If you really want to keep the car, spring and shock get new one. Mounting can get used, but mounting if a little bit warp, go over hump will have "tok" sound. So you think abt it. Seller can tell you okay one, no problem. Ultimately is your car, you decide if you can live with "tok" sound.

• Praise 1

It is quite reasonable. Consider new shock, one piece around $110 for front, $90 for rear. Already set you aside $400. Plus mounting, stopper and cover and spring. It is quite okay. But like I said, since it is used. You probably may face issue like one side high, one side low cause of uneven wear from other vehicle.

If you really want to keep the car, spring and shock get new one. Mounting can get used, but mounting if a little bit warp, go over hump will have "tok" sound. So you think abt it. Seller can tell you okay one, no problem. Ultimately is your car, you decide if you can live with "tok" sound.

Just curious, can you give a rough gauge as to what the prices would be like for mounting stopper cover spring? No particular model, perhaps for the car you mentioned. Thanks.

you think I got "cut"?

I think reasonable or not depends on how well used it is.

I think you should also check the price of the items brand new and then decide from there.

Just curious, can you give a rough gauge as to what the prices would be like for mounting stopper cover spring? No particular model, perhaps for the car you mentioned. Thanks.

Just a rouge gauge for my Toyota.

Shock Front - $110 to $125

Shock Rear - $75 to $90

Bump Stop - $10 to $15 each(need 4. One shock each bump stop)

Spring - No idea how much it cost. Should be in the region of $100 and up.

Cover - $20 to $30. It is just a rubber housing.

Top Mounting - Should be around $40 to $60. Depends on front or back.

For Hyundai

Rear absorber Mando brand $75

Rear absorber Hyundai brand $102

Original Mounting $39

Original stopper $15

Labour for 2 rear absorbers, I was charged $80.

Anybody knows of any workshop that can do the change at a lower price?

For Hyundai

Original Mounting $39

Original stopper $15

Hi,

Your workshop's pricing sounds reasonable, can share the name and location?

For Hyundai

Original Mounting $39

Original stopper $15

i was charged $40 per absorber too 2yrs ago, so i think u should go ahead.

• Praise 2

For Hyundai

Original Mounting $39

Original stopper $15

For rear mando absorbers i did mine in JB for 310rm with installation. In SG, i believe labour for rear should be around 20-30 a side for torsion beam suspension
  • Praise 1

For rear mando absorbers i did mine in JB for 310rm with installation. In SG, i believe labour for rear should be around 20-30 a side for torsion beam suspension

Bro, so how much did they quote you for the absorber alone? The Workshop can recommend?

Bro, so how much did they quote you for the absorber alone? The Workshop can recommend?

My car Avante left 11 month to scrap but one rear absorber found leaking. Any lobang for recond

• Praise 1

My car Avante left 11 month to scrap but one rear absorber found leaking. Any lobang for recond

11 months is quiet a long time away before scrap. For re con, can check few car scrap yards

at Woodlands Industrial area.

Why dont consider brand new as u likely can less than $100 for the part. I know someone

bought Camry rear absorber (OEM Topiko) from Woodlands stockist for $85/pcs, good &

cheap!!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1