Latest Quota for COE...

Ticklish8

I believe the COE will go up to $100K or stay at the current same level for the next 2-3 years. Since COE quota will be reducing, so if you have the money to change car, indeed not a bad move.

Tmr Cat A gonna see a fierce bidding game?

↡ Advertisement

The problem is our land are limited n we need these land to build houses n not keep on expending the road to satisfy car user. So control number of veh is a must here to ensure we have enough land for our housing. Else there will be a day that no normal ppl here can own a shelter.

Therefore high coe policy is to encourage ppl to take public transport than dream to own a car so as we can have a greener environment.

I think something wrong with your sentance... COE cost $100 or COE cost $1million no difference to car growth and no difference to what encourage ppl to take public transport.. how many COE already pre-determined by formula. Simple as this: Govt say ok guys, every 2 weeks I give you all 100 COEs, you all go fight it out. You want to sell house sell mother I dun care. I am just going to give out 100 COEs. So if this week COE cost 100k, also 100 COEs released, if it cost 1million, also 100 COEs released. No difference to car growth.

tio bo? correct me if i am wrong.

2 observations:

1. Car population growth is controlled by the auth....if there is gd planning why is there a need to suddenly choke the supply of coe.

2, The vehicle infra in SG ( roads, parking, ..) is just like in any city in the world with only one difference ( the COE ). doesn't a country with so little available land do things differently so that capacity for more vehicles be achieved?

2) Can you find a city that is as small as Singapore, and yet has so many cars? Besides, even if the city gets choked with too many cars, there are still possible escape-routes to stay at other places of the same country, or having some assistance from its central government to improve its infra-structure or increase the size of the city. Singapore, however, is a country already, and if she gets choked with vehicles, what can she do, and what can her people do?

It is still a simple answer, buy if can afford, else LL. I used to have a car too, but i sold it when the loan was even (i.e. no further top-up was required). Thereafter, i did not buy another, because i felt that the car price was not economical (slightly different from reasonable), and of course more importantly, i could not "rear" it as easily as before and i realised that there are better things to do with the money saved. In conclusion, "buy only if can AFFORD"...

Nowsaday family income must be $250K p.a. (abt $20K p.m.) to be lower-middle class ... or the sandwiched class, as defined by garmen.

This class of people want a lot a lot of things ... from private property, D10 address, new car(s), country club, platinum credit card, overseas tertiary education for their children ... etc., but find it stretching - esp over the last 5-10 years.

So they come to on-line forums to kpkb, blame their sad predicament on FTs and stir sh!t to vote out the garmen by next GE 2016.

How pathetic can that get?

Look at KARTer ... fine example. What happened to him?

Tio BANNED!!! Shiok man [laugh]

For your example of $17K p.m. household income, I think they belong to the middle-low income group now, IMHO.

Such has the phenomenal rise in cost of living caught us all with our pants down!

That is the stark reality of life here in Singapore.

Soon, the sandwiched class will just have to resort to public transport and public housing.

So Get Rea! lah

wow, didnt know 20k per month is consider lower middle income group..... then those earning 8k is consider poverty?

wow, didnt know 20k per month is consider lower middle income group..... then those earning 8k is consider poverty?

People always (wrongly) quote that the rich-poor gap in Singapore's socio-economic system is widening.

Not really, IMHO.

What's really happening is a class shift, or two, downward.

Singapore's pyramid has become a lot more heavier over the last 10 years.

There's a lot more high-networth, rich millionaires accumulating from within, plus recent imports.

Your household income, compared to the class immediately above and below you has not widened apart.

No gap widening per se.

It is just that you and them all, in one fell swoop, have shifted downward on the socio-economic ladder.

Turbocharged

2) Can you find a city that is as small as Singapore, and yet has so many cars?

COE and ERP are merely measures that restrict the use of cars. I am saying why SG vehicle infra follow so close to any other city in the owrld. Can we not think of unique ways so that the vehicle infra can TAKE ON MORE vehicles.

A case in point: SGporeans live in modest size homes compared to other larger countries....why then are our cars just a huge as them? Bigger cars do take more space?

COE runaway is not big problem.... can just give up driving.. but are the wise ones in power thinking of unique ways to enhance car ownership.

Supersonic

Lol, 8K still consider poverty? Then those who earn $3k and below how? Can go and die liao?! [:/]

Lol, 8K still consider poverty? Then those who earn $3k and below how? Can go and die liao?! [:/]

You forgot that the cost of living had rose by 10 times over the last 40-50 years.

Meaning a household earning $3K p.m. today, is equivalent to a family earning abt $300 in the mid-60's!

That time not many families own cars hor.

No MRT either. <_<

Bus and walk.

Even pirate taxies are a luxury for many.

You forgot that the cost of living had rose by 10 times over the last 40-50 years.

Meaning a household earning $3K p.m. today, is equivalent to a family earning abt $300 in the mid-60's!

No MRT either. <_<

Bus and walk.

牛头不对马嘴。说了等于没说。

Supersonic

No MRT either. <_<

Bus and walk.

So if earning is $3K now, it means the person cannot survive since standard of living is high now?! [:/]

(edited)

So if earning is $3K now, it means the person cannot survive since standard of living is high now?! [:/]

Survive, sure can survive.

Live in HDB, no condo.

BMW, no car.

Eat at hawker centers, no restaurants.

Loti kaya for breakfast.

Economic rice (chye png) for lunch - 1 meat + 1 veggie.

Simple home-cooked meal for dinner.

Ownself clean house, do laundry, cook. No domestic helper.

No luxury goods, designer labels.

Survive, sure can survive with $3K p.m.

Edited by Timbuktu

As for me, though i take home roughly 3.5K pm....a car to me is a necessity.

I may be what you guys so called as Marginal owner. I stretch my finance, but hell, i am enjoying it every single day.

Different people different thinking. U only get to live once and if you do not cherish your days when you can still think and move fast, you will sorely regret it on your dying bed.

I rather die happy and moderate then to die rich. I work hard for what my family and i want. May not be the best, again, it is the best that we can have.

I may be what you guys so called as Marginal owner. I stretch my finance, but hell, i am enjoying it every single day.

Different people different thinking. U only get to live once and if you do not cherish your days when you can still think and move fast, you will sorely regret it on your dying bed.

I rather die happy and moderate then to die rich. I work hard for what my family and i want. May not be the best, again, it is the best that we can have.

Very well put!

RESPECT.

To each his own. Nobody is to dictate how other live, as long as you happy. Different people spurge on different things, some spurge on food, some spurge on housing, some on cars, etc... there is no right or wrong.

To each his own. Nobody is to dictate how other live, as long as you happy. Different people spurge on different things, some spurge on food, some spurge on housing, some on cars, etc... there is no right or wrong.

One too many ... it's

spLurge

Neutral Newbie

I think the next step is for LTA to change the law, requiring 10-yr old cars to pay 2 x PQP in order to extend their cars for another 10 years.

This will force marginal owners to give up their cars on the 10th year and deregister.

It will then free up many more COEs for new car buyers awaiting.

I don't like this idea of people clinging on to their low-COE old cars fir dear life.

They are just suffocating the system and not allowing the LTA to reduce car population, as intended ... but instead, clogging up our roads with old >10 yr old cars, with higher unreliability, breakdowns and an eyesore!

The LTA needs to purge them out.

Make it very expensive to extend COE cars!

From LTA figure, there are not many car owners renew their COE, over the past 12 months only 346 car owners renew their COE, this translate to 29 owners renew their COE monthly.

post-7485-1342649644_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement