The Perfect Storm of the Stock Market II

I seldom bid, just buy at offer price when yield is at my target level. It is true, good stocks, especially those with very stable dividend, just don't correct much even with missiles flying around these days....

Same here.

I watch and follow if i like a stock.

When it is there, i hit the offer.

Even when i sell my Rolexes, it happens.

The fellas who know the market know that my price is damn good.

Many of them buy without any nego.

So far no one has lost money.

In fact, all made money, just whether realised or not.

Hee hee.

But i hv to say, stock market is not like Rolex....

Best to invest within ones risk profile or threshold.

Cheers

post-166337-0-74781200-1504648336_thumb.jpg

US stock market, which was closed on Monday due to Labour Day, had a poor performance last night, when it opened for trading. 

Can we expect our local stock market to go down today?  If yes, I am going to have a field day today.  While others fear to tread, here I come.  As usual, many bids below last closing price, to take advantage of any stock dumping, if it happens. 

I am not one to predict how the stock market is tomorrow, but I think the current market sentiment is very weak.  The STI is creeping close to the psychological support level of 3,200. If it breaks below this level soon, it represents a real opportunity for me to re-enter the market at my comfort level.  I will be utilizing not more than 10% of my war-chest for this venture. 

I mentioned before that the COE bid price can be used to gauge the sentiment about the well-being of the economy .  Today is the Sep 1st COE bidding close date.   Let's see how it goes. 

If the stock market is to crash within the next 2 months (it's been almost 10 years since the last financial crisis), I stand ready with the remaining 90%.  This is hopefully for me, the starting point for consistent gain annually (hold for the long term).   As to when to re-enter a crashed stock market, we can discuss in detail when it comes to that.  Let's huat together!

I looking at

OCBC

Starhub

SIA

Is it a foolish pursuit?

Hi,

Only OCBC is on my radar as it has better growth potential.  But I don't want to venture into it just yet, as the 3 local banks have to make further provisions on bad loans for the marine sector, latest victim been Ezion, which 'went down' unexpectedly (suspended trading) last month.  As early as the beginning of this year, a lot of analysts said Ezion is one of the strongest smaller marine players and will survive the prolonged downturn of the marine sector.   I did consider Ezion as a potential investment, but one of my rules was not to invest in the marine sector just yet until a compelling recovery story emerges.

Not Starhub and SIA.  I think Starhub is going nowhere, meaning it has reached its limit in terms of growth in our crowded local telco market.  

As for SIA, it is facing a lot of competition with other airlines and its last qtr results have been very disappointing.

I already stopped informing bros here what I bought from the stock market, based on advice from other bros, due to pump and dump tactics by unscrupulous people.    

I had wanted to buy this stock for a while, but I missed the boat by a few bids about 2 weeks ago and it went north. I tracked this stock for the past week, and I think my efforts to be patient paid off.  A different of $0.11.  Gotten 10 lots at $2.18 today instead of $2.29 closing price last Friday.  That is not to say this price will be at its bottom; I am prepared to add more later, i.e. spread out my purchases over time.  Always nibble, a small bite each time.  It has a dividend yield of >4% the past 2 years - good enough for me.

Let's huat! No buy, no gain (of course, it can go the other way too!).

attachicon.gifDJ on 5 Sep.jpg

US stock market, which was closed on Monday due to Labour Day, had a poor performance last night, when it opened for trading.

Can we expect our local stock market to go down today? If yes, I am going to have a field day today. While others fear to tread, here I come. As usual, many bids below last closing price, to take advantage of any stock dumping, if it happens.

I think you are hallucinating a bit leh

Negative zero point something to -1% is poor performance already?

Just becos of the red color effect?

I know you are hoping to get in cheap becos you have stayed out when the market ran up.

So is positive 1% considered strong performance?

Alamak no lah, its normal daily range.

During real crisis, it's easily 5% down per day consecutively for a few days.

Now thats poor performance.

Edited by Throttle2

I already stopped informing bros here what I bought from the stock market, based on advice from other bros, due to pump and dump tactics by unscrupulous people.    

I had wanted to buy this stock for a while, but I missed the boat by a few bids about 2 weeks ago and it went north. I tracked this stock for the past week, and I think my efforts to be patient paid off.  A different of $0.11.  Gotten 10 lots at $2.18 today instead of $2.29 closing price last Friday.  That is not to say this price will be at its bottom; I am prepared to add more later, i.e. spread out my purchases over time.  Always nibble, a small bite each time.  It has a dividend yield of >4% the past 2 years - good enough for me.

Let's huat! No buy, no gain (of course, it can go the other way too!).

So you bought comfort delgro? Good luck bro!

So you bought comfort delgro? Good luck bro!

Looks like you are tracking this stock as well.  Haha!  In the short term, I think this company will continue to struggle with the taxi business - lower revenue and operating profit, as long as private hire is here to stay.  

But I begin to see the warning signs of casualty on the private hire side in Singapore - Uber selling excess cars (low demand for its cars from drivers), Grab trying to get Comfort drivers to join them - meaning there is a war going on between Uber and Grab.  One more thing, how long can both Uber and Grab burn money like it is the 7th month all-year round?  When will its investors wise up to the fact that this private hire stuff is a bad, unsustainable business model after all?   

So in the meantime, as consumers, enjoy the cheaper rides while they last!

Looks like you are tracking this stock as well.  Haha!  In the short term, I think this company will continue to struggle with the taxi business - lower revenue and operating profit, as long as private hire is here to stay.  

But I begin to see the warning signs of casualty on the private hire side in Singapore - Uber selling excess cars (low demand for its cars from drivers), Grab trying to get Comfort drivers to join them - meaning there is a war going on between Uber and Grab.  One more thing, how long can both Uber and Grab burn money like it is the 7th month all-year round?  When will its investors wise up to the fact that this private hire stuff is a bad, unsustainable business model after all?   

So in the meantime, as consumers, enjoy the cheaper rides while they last!

Was also looking at Comfort Delgro and SPH, both are facing disuptive technologies that have impacted on their business. I find it hard to call the bottom on both but I don't think the worst is over yet.  That is why I seldom make / lose big money... too scared to take position, I rather focus on stable and growing businesses with good dividend yields.  

Sharing a recent BT article on the taxis business.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/companies-markets/in-for-a-scary-taxi-ride

Was also looking at Comfort Delgro and SPH, both are facing disuptive technologies that have impacted on their business. I find it hard to call the bottom on both but I don't think the worst is over yet. That is why I seldom make / lose big money... too scared to take position, I rather focus on stable and growing businesses with good dividend yields.

I also had SPH in my small SG stock portfolio. Took the dividends quite a while back and cleaned out most of it, retaining just 5 lots to see what happens.

Currently those 5 lots down 30% but main bulk brokeeven when i sold after ex-date.

A small overall loss still, but just let it be since have no need for the money.

I also had SPH in my small SG stock portfolio. Took the dividends quite a while back and cleaned out most of it, retaining just 5 lots to see what happens.

Currently those 5 lots down 30% but main bulk brokeeven when i sold after ex-date.

A small overall loss still, but just let it be since have no need for the money.

You just loot a 18k Sub. Better sell your SPH...

• Praise 2

Was also looking at Comfort Delgro and SPH, both are facing disuptive technologies that have impacted on their business. I find it hard to call the bottom on both but I don't think the worst is over yet. That is why I seldom make / lose big money... too scared to take position, I rather focus on stable and growing businesses with good dividend yields.

Yes, and its going to be quite a long fight for these two.

Thats why i dumped majority of my SPH.

Comfortdelgro, i see it drop to $2 easily within 2017 and i dont like the business anyway so didnt touch.

Cheers

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1