The Perfect Storm of the Stock Market II

2016 bad start... good finish

2017 good start... ??? finish

but what i know is that table wiper will come in 2018 telling people his hindsight strategies and how his portfolio made so much $$ in 2017

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

but what i know is that table wiper will come in 2018 telling people his hindsight strategies and how his portfolio made so much $$ in 2017

doesn't matter good start bad start ... how it's finish

most importantly there is money to be made

to make money ... there must be blood on the floor for big boys to make the killing

• Praise 1

Hindsight ?

Muayhahahaha

By the way, do you mean ex-table wiper?

Edited by Throttle2

doesn't matter good start bad start ... how it's finish

most importantly there is money to be made

to make money ... there must be blood on the floor for big boys to make the killing

Just make sure we are the winners and the BB are the losers :)

I just picked up another 30,000 shares of Oxley Holdings.  Enough, I say.  

To newbies:

It is important to note that stock investment is a long term commitment.  A good example will be the Singtel shares that the government gave out to citizens in 1993 (if my memory serves me well). If you have kept them all these years, the accumulated dividends add up to a tidy sum.  

Besides having a long investment horizon (about 10 years or more), there is one mandatory skill that all newbies must learn and do. Read up the company's annual report and quarterly financial releases and be able to interpret some terms.  It can be quite daunting to read a thick volume of the report.  Let me try to break it down:

There are a few items that I will look out for:

1) Profit after tax (or Profit Net of Tax).  Preferably, this shall be rising which shows that the company is not stagnant but growing.

2) Dividends payout.  This is the main objective of the stock investment (according to my investment philosophy). Capital appreciation is a bonus.  If the company is doing well, dividends and capital appreciation will naturally follow.

3) Borrowings.   This indicates the debt of the company.  They can be grouped into two:

i) Short term borrowings that are repayable in 1 year or less.  

ii) Long term borrowings that are repayable after 1 year.  

4) Cash and Cash Equivalent.  This is very important, as it allows the company to operate their day-to-day business properly.  Preferably, this item should not be too significantly less than the amount of short term borrowings, else the company could potentially run into cash-flow problems if they cannot pay their bills or their borrowings on time. 

5) Future plans.  This sets the direction of the company's future and gives a glimpse of how the company intends to grow itself.  

I am not an accountant.  So feel free to provide your comments if there are other important parameters that can be used to help our bros, including myself here to make an informed decision whether a company is worth investing.

Let's us learn and huat together!

It has been close to 5 months since I started investing in Oxley.   With the recent surge in Oxley's share price, I am sitting on tens of thousands of $ profits for this stock.  It has been a long wait, watching its slow rise, like watching paint drying on the fence!.

Throughout this stock investment journey which I started in Sep 2016, I learned about patience, more patience and endless patience, when doing stock investment.   Even though I dispensed a lot of advice in this thread, it still takes a lot of self-discipline myself to ignore the short-term gyrations of the stock market, resist the temptation to sell out for a quick profit,  and instead have a long term view.

One advice I can dispense here.  Don't be too happy when your share price goes up, it can go down tomorrow.  Don't be too sad, if your share price goes below your purchase price.  The stock market is very sentiments-driven.  It has a very short term view.  As long as you have done your due diligence, the share price must eventually go up as long as the fundamentals of the company is alright.

Oxley is now a large part of my stock portfolio, at 47% of my total stock holdings, after I assessed that its debt risk has been pared down towards the end of 2016.   I take comfort that Warren Buffet largest holdings of a single stock can be as high as 22% in his portfolio. 

One more thing.  We must have a reserve war-chest, to take opportunity of a market crash, if it happens!  This is the best time to go in BIG-TIME.  This allows you to set a low price base for your overall stock investment, and after the market recovers, you build up a large margin of safety (market price vs purchase price) for your stock investment.  You wil be able to stomach the daily ups-and-downs of the stock market better thereafter. 

PS: Once in every decade, for the past 3 decades, there has been a major market crash.  The last one happened in 2008/2009 financial crisis.  Now, it is almost 10 years since.   Expect another one to come suddenly.  Just be prepared. I am.

• Praise 9

When is storm coming ?? The once In ten years

Good question.  In reality, no one knows.  When it comes, it comes.  The best investment opportunity is when there is a stock market crash.  You get to pick up a lot of undervalued fundamentally sound stocks on the cheap.   If unsure, just go for the Bluechip stocks (i.e. STI component stocks). They are called Bluechips for a reason.

I think the recent surge of the STI is largely due to the spill-over effect from the rising US markets.  Also, our stock market has an optimistic outlook now and is looking forward to the coming Singapore budget 2017.  Maybe there are economic goodies from the government to look forward to which will boost certain sectors (if not all) of our economy.  Could it be the property sector, oil and gas, retail, transport, medical or manufacturing? 

• Praise 1

Looks like still have steam to go up ...

only the O&G companies got problem ...

But oil price slowly creeping up, those who can survive will prosper

It has been close to 5 months since I started investing in Oxley. With the recent surge in Oxley's share price, I am sitting on tens of thousands of $ profits for this stock. It has been a long wait, watching its slow rise, like watching paint drying on the fence!.

Throughout this stock investment journey which I started in Sep 2016, I learned about patience, more patience and endless patience, when doing stock investment. Even though I dispensed a lot of advice in this thread, it still takes a lot of self-discipline myself to ignore the short-term gyrations of the stock market, resist the temptation to sell out for a quick profit, and instead have a long term view.

One advice I can dispense here. Don't be too happy when your share price goes up, it can go down tomorrow. Don't be too sad, if your share price goes below your purchase price. The stock market is very sentiments-driven. It has a very short term view. As long as you have done your due diligence, the share price must eventually go up as long as the fundamentals of the company is alright.

Oxley is now a large part of my stock portfolio, at 47% of my total stock holdings, after I assessed that its debt risk has been pared down towards the end of 2016. I take comfort that Warren Buffet largest holdings of a single stock can be as high as 22% in his portfolio.

One more thing. We must have a reserve war-chest, to take opportunity of a market crash, if it happens! This is the best time to go in BIG-TIME. This allows you to set a low price base for your overall stock investment, and after the market recovers, you build up a large margin of safety (market price vs purchase price) for your stock investment. You wil be able to stomach the daily ups-and-downs of the stock market better thereafter.

PS: Once in every decade, for the past 3 decades, there has been a major market crash. The last one happened in 2008/2009 financial crisis. Now, it is almost 10 years since. Expect another one to come suddenly. Just be prepared. I am.

Congratulations on good performance of your holdings.

47% of your portfolio in one single stock is just wrong, no matter what.

Especially when you are going for the long term.

You are simply absorbing too much risk unless of course your objective to really to bet big and win big.then run. But it doesnt seem that way.

So i urge you to take some profits on Oxley. And diversify into something else.

Returns are not the only things that matter.

Again congratulations on the nice performance.

• Praise 4

Congratulations on good performance of your holdings.

47% of your portfolio in one single stock is just wrong, no matter what.

Especially when you are going for the long term.

You are simply absorbing too much risk unless of course your objective to really to bet big and win big.then run. But it doesnt seem that way.

So i urge you to take some profits on Oxley. And diversify into something else.

Returns are not the only things that matter.

Again congratulations on the nice performance.

Yes, there are still risks, but not enough to do me in.  My remaining war chest for stock investment is a few multiples of my total stock portfolio's worth, standing by for a market crash to happen (but if that happens, it will, of course, ruin my entire existing stock portfolio! But I reckon my ability to going in big-time after the market crash will more than compensate for the temporary loss).

I monitor closely all financial announcements by Oxley for any adverse news.  If no adverse news, I will let Oxley share price run for a while.  The pipeline of numerous overseas projects in Oxley will keep the streams of profits continuing for a few years.  

In comparison, my other stocks are more like 'playing marbles', a few hundreds or thousands of profit/dividends, seriously nothing to shout about. Having said that, many small winners are still better than nothing.     

• Praise 2

Yes, there are still risks, but not enough to do me in. My remaining war chest for stock investment is a few multiples of my total stock portfolio's worth, standing by for a market crash to happen (but if that happens, it will, of course, ruin my entire existing stock portfolio! But I reckon my ability to going in big-time after the market crash will more than compensate for the temporary loss).

I monitor closely all financial announcements by Oxley for any adverse news. If no adverse news, I will let Oxley share price run for a while. The pipeline of numerous overseas projects in Oxley will keep the streams of profits continuing for a few years.

In comparison, my other stocks are more like 'playing marbles', a few hundreds or thousands of profit/dividends, seriously nothing to shout about. Having said that, many small winners are still better than nothing.

Oh I see, now it makes more sense.

Becos when you said 47% of entire portfolio in one stock, i related it to the absolute entire portfolio of investibles (cash inclusive)

So with several multiples still available in cash, that means your exposure in this one single stock is actually much lower vis a vis the entire investible amount. Yes yes, that makes more sense.

But in any case, everyone have their methods.

And there is no definitive way. As long as it suits their risk profile and needs, thats all.

I am still looking for some decent ideas to invest in.

Keeping relative liquid with about 25% of my entire portfolio of investibles and marketable securities in pure cash for now. Rolexes worth another $200k++ not part of this.

Jobless so sibei kiasee, boh pian........

Edited by Throttle2

ah trump kor is the best [thumbsup]

Japan softbank want to invest in USA

China Alibaba want to invest in USA

Intel want to expand in USA

huat ah!

post-7984-0-05050700-1486682700.jpg

post-7984-0-36701600-1486682725_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1