The Perfect Storm of the Stock Market II

here is my newbie sharing on stock buying since 2016...please do NOT follow me.

I only buy local stock. l will look at the 10-year price range of companies I am interested in. Then I will look at the dividends issued. I only buy & keep, will only sell when need arises & forced to. So far, enough to pay for my "cai-fan" meals and the occasional TCM massages.

As for penny stocks, I try to steer clear cos got some friends who got REALLY badly burnt.

Will this make me rich? NO. Will this enable me retire in 25-30years? NO.

Why I do it? Cos it's MUCH better than putting it in banks. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

here is my newbie sharing on stock buying since 2016...please do NOT follow me.

I only buy local stock. l will look at the 10-year price range of companies I am interested in. Then I will look at the dividends issued. I only buy & keep, will only sell when need arises & forced to. So far, enough to pay for my "cai-fan" meals and the occasional TCM massages.

As for penny stocks, I try to steer clear cos got some friends who got REALLY badly burnt.

Will this make me rich? NO. Will this enable me retire in 25-30years? NO.

Why I do it? Cos it's MUCH better than putting it in banks.

Awesome, exactly why central banks made rates so low
  • Praise 1

Awesome, exactly why central banks made rates so low

yalor. make DOW easy to make or burn money which is better than putting $$ in bank become kiam chai ... lol

(edited)

Which route do you take from Yishun to Changi?

Dont know , i usually sleep on the bus.

Premium service 734

Why leh?

Edited by Throttle2

Turbocharged

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. You indicated that you started out barely a year back yet you are so absolutely full of yourself that no advise from others can penetrate your thick facade.

A meaningful sum is relative, it can be 10k/100k or 10 mil. A 100% return on an 2% networth investment is just 2% return overall, a 50% return on a 30% is far more meaningful. Yet you perceive it as an attempt by other to belittle you.

The greatest indicator of a novice have always been their attempts to seek justification and assurances from others. I maybe able to generate an annualized 10,000% return today. Does it make me a guru? No. I can't do it consistently without risking blowing myself up.

No responsible investor will be bragging about singular positions pubicly for fear of inciting the wrong behavior from others. Personal financial investments/management is exactly as stated. It is personal and individualized. Questions like "if you have 10 mil today where will you invest in the stock market" belongs to tabloid and magazines which seek to garner viewership.

Wisdom comes with experience. Intellect gives you the ability to garner wisdom. Look back years from now and you will understand what others are trying to tell you.

Thank you for vindicating me.  What you just quoted was said by T2, not me.  I fully agree that a meaningful sum is relative.  It does not necessary mean that it must have an impact on personal financial status.

In a few of my postings, I have indicated that I welcome comments.  Not many have feedback, though, except for Mercury1 and Voodooman, and I have replied to them accordingly.  You can scan from page 55 (of this thread) onwards .  Long read, though.. 

I have indicated that I am an old newbie, writing for the newbies, on many occasions.  I did not label myself as a guru, some one else did.  This is a label I can ill-afford.   Gurus cannot go wrong, I can.

I fully agree on your point about talking about singular positions publicly.  Very dangerous - it can be subjected to pump and dump, wrong investment, etc.  Don't all analysts do that, and I always find that they are half right at the time. 

I asked T2 for a list of stock recommendations, and if he does provide one (which he didn't, of course), this allows me to perform research on them, and see if they stand up to my scrutiny.  

But T2 likes to shoot off-the-hip on trivial matters, one recent example will be when "I wanted to do a market psyche on Japfa".  Still now, he cannot explain why he belittled me on this.  Why not wait until I present my findings, then comment?  And when I did, zero comment from him.  If this is not shoot off-the-hip, what is?

Finally, let me clarify this:

I am fully supportive of the way T2 and Warren Buffet invest (they are alike).  Long term >10 years.  This allows you to lay back and ride the ups and downs of the stock market.  You don't have to really monitor closely.   That's why I have never criticise him on his investment.   I only chastise him on his criticism on me.

But I invest a bit differently.  Because I started late in my investment journey, my strategy is this, and T2 knows about it too, since he asked me about it (This is my point: You just need to ask me any thing about my investment decision, and I will gladly reply), and I did replied him.

Stock investment is a long journey.  Not everyone can take the 'discipline'.  A lot of people want the easy way out.  Fast in and quick return.  This is not what I advocate.  Much of my profits are chalked up because of waiting and patience.  Again, you can read them from page 55 of this thread onwards.

Lastly, no one in this thread have asked me this burning question.  No one has asked me this yet: "How did you assessed that the market has little upside potential but more on downside risk?"   I think it is because everyone thinks I am wrong.

Please hor, dont make this a cut and paste thread for news, we already have a Mercs doing that in the property thread.

At least take a picture, add in interesting background or something .

Will be nicer to look at and more fun mah.

So SIA dropped 7.25%, does it mean you buying? Or bought?

At least add dome ocmments machiam facebook post lah....

I have none today, stopped believing in it since selling out in high teens and near $20 prior to GFC.

The edge that SIA has over its many competitors is thinning out or not even there for some.

Hopefully our national carrier can remain stable and maintain some decent profits.

For the sake of Singapore.

Turbocharged

T2, you are totally wrong. 

I want to show that a Blue chip is not necessarily an automatic stock selection choice, even for a government-linked company

You know, I know, STI is made up of many stock components and is weighted (calculated) based on market capitalisation.  SIA's market capitalisation is too small to significantly pull down the STI.  You need a big-cap company like Singtel or DBS to do that.

If I show this as an example to say I pull back from the market, I am being ridiculous.

I don't do cheap pot-shots like what you did to me or others in other threads. 

But I like your comments about SIA.  This is what we will like you to do in this thread.  Your thoughts and take on companies.  Please continue to do so (even if it is obvious to you and others).  There are others not so well-informed.

My take on STI

Currently, the stock market is holding steady, drifting, I will say.  To move up or down significantly, it needs a catalyst.  What is this catalyst?  I don't know. 

My personal assessment

Yet, I made an assessment that the market is going to move soon, and possibly down.  I based this on the SGX's loose correlation with STI.  When the STI up, SGX is up, and vice versa. 

1) I put the two charts together.  Recently, this correlation breaks down since late Apr 2017.  STI is up, SGX is down. 

2) At the same time, I monitor close to 150 stocks (active ones) in our local market (it is made up of 800+ stocks) daily.  So I thnk I have a good breadth of the market in general.  The broader market, in general,  is facing a weakness for a while now. STI is moving up, yet the broad market is not following.  What is happening? 

I am not suggesting people to pull out of their stock market now, if they are long term investors.

But since my stock portfolio is small, I am very flexible to move to cash easily.  But I still leave my REITS stocks in there.

The verdict is still out there.  I do not know if my assessment is correct.  Let's wait for more time for this to unfold.

(edited)

Ok i am totally wrong.

And i take cheap pot shots...

Hope you feel better now?

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1

I don't know what all the fuss is all about. But these facts (personal experiences):

1. It doesn't matter whose method is superior, the superior method is the one that consistently makes money.

2. You may be lucky once, twice, three times and even the fourth time, but Mr. Market will sometime down the road teach you who is BOSS.

3. If you make money, not as if you are going to share the profit with me, but I would be happy if you share with me your method which I may incorporate into my own.

4. Never be greedy. Just like common thief, it is greedy that leads the thieve to repeat what he does until the law catches with him. That is basis how the police is able to catch them. Same goes with investment, once greed steps in, all your common sense can get thrown out of the window.

5. The last thing, I learnt from many successful investors is that you must be detached and emotionless. Let other people comments, criticize or even praise, which all these does not affect your method.

6. Investing is a long journey with many having to pay varying sums of tuition fees. At the end, what counts is you still have your shirt with some extra-loose change.

tenyawph - if you find it difficult to continue without being poke by our desk-bound cigar smoking hairy hdb dweller, may be you want to start a blog and make a diary of your investment journey. Truthfully I enjoy reading your personal walk and wish you success

T2 - I think your new desk bound job has led you to be too free. Cut the guy some slack. When you started out or even now, weren't we all face the same challenges. It would be nice if you can share you journey. PS I found a way to get free renata watch batteries legally for free. I just got 10 of them.

• Praise 11

Let me put this more direct.

Your model and my model of stock investment are different. But our models can co-exist. Both of them generate profits. The main problem is you imposing your model on me and others. I don't do that back to you.

See the light now?

Wah lau, imposing?

Come on. Just chit chat on forum only.

You really sibei uptight leh.

(edited)

I don't know what all the fuss is all about. But these facts (personal experiences):

1. It doesn't matter whose method is superior, the superior method is the one that consistently makes money.

2. You may be lucky once, twice, three times and even the fourth time, but Mr. Market will sometime down the road teach you who is BOSS.

3. If you make money, not as if you are going to share the profit with me, but I would be happy if you share with me your method which I may incorporate into my own.

4. Never be greedy. Just like common thief, it is greedy that leads the thieve to repeat what he does until the law catches with him. That is basis how the police is able to catch them. Same goes with investment, once greed steps in, all your common sense can get thrown out of the window.

5. The last thing, I learnt from many successful investors is that you must be detached and emotionless. Let other people comments, criticize or even praise, which all these does not affect your method.

6. Investing is a long journey with many having to pay varying sums of tuition fees. At the end, what counts is you still have your shirt with some extra-loose change.

tenyawph - if you find it difficult to continue without being poke by our desk-bound cigar smoking hairy hdb dweller, may be you want to start a blog and make a diary of your investment journey. Truthfully I enjoy reading your personal walk and wish you success

T2 - I think your new desk bound job has led you to be too free. Cut the guy some slack. When you started out or even now, weren't we all face the same challenges. It would be nice if you can share you journey. PS I found a way to get free renata watch batteries legally for free. I just got 10 of them.

Cut him some slack?

Haha, dont say until like that.

He doesnt need anyone to cut him any slack.

His warchest is $1mil, he can definitely handle some forum banter.

Moreover, so many of you like his posts and sharing.

Edited by Throttle2

(edited)

U guys r cute.

We are in our 40s? Some 50s?

My gawd

The only way to keep young, Bro.

Edited by Throttle2

Turbocharged

Bluechip stock giving you the Blues

Surprise Q4 loss sends SIA shares diving 7.25%

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/companies-markets/surprise-q4-loss-sends-sia-shares-diving-725

Ah....T2 wants more info on SIA.   I present to everyone, who are the buyers/sellers of SIA stocks the week earlier, before the Qtr results were announced.

post-166337-0-11099900-1495324692_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement