Blackvue users - please come in AGAIN 2

RadX

(edited)

Just got my car from Motor Image, which was preceded by quite intense study into dash cams.  Thought I'd contribute and share what I had learnt for the benefit of others : 

What :  \

- Blackvue DR650GW - 2CH .  2CH stands for 2 channels - front and back.  You can also get 1 CH for front only.   The version I have has the Över the Cloud function, hence it is also called Blackvue Over the Cloud.

- Cellink B6 battery.  I opted this over the Power Magic Pro which draws on your car battery.  I wanted to avoid affecting the battery, and increase risk of premature battery damage and car unable to start, even though it has a low voltage cut off function. This is based on Google research not real life experience as I have not tried the Power Magic route before.  There is a B6 higher capacity, and a B3 lower capacity (for 1 Ch apparently)

Cost : About 1k for Motor Image to buy and install it.  Motor Image actually recommends mainly to go with the Power Magic Pro.  Well for one, they make money in replacing batteries - just my personal conspiracy theory.

How it was installed :

Blackvue front camera power cable and connecting cable to rear camera are concealed along the periphery of the windscreen so you see no wires.  The power cable is somehow hidden below the carpet before it is connected to the Cellink B below the drivers seat.  The Cellink B is connected by velcro to the car carpet floor.  The connecting cables are facing the front.  The Cellink B is then powered from another cable to the fuse connections to the right of the steering wheel.  Rear camera is connected only the front camera with one cable for both power and signal.  There is no separate cable from rear to the Cellink B.  

How it Works :

Cellink powers the cameras at all times.  It is charged only when the car is running.  When car is off, cameras will go into Parking Mode. This will capture vids when the camera detects motion or is jolted (G-sensors)  Parking Mode will continue until you drive the car or when the battery is dead.    So basically if you hardly drive and park the car for a few days, your Cellink will die.  

How  I am using it :

The app on my Andriod phone is Blackvue C.  Note there is another app called Blackvue without the "C"'.  You must use the one with "C" for it to work.  Currently at the time of this writing, I understand there is no PC version yet for Blackvue Over the Cloud.  Default password is "blackvue" which you can change using the App.  I am using the 32GB SD card that comes with it, and seems to be able to not overwrite vids a day or more before.  So I think it is enough, no need to go for 64GB.

Things to note :

- The camera has no on/off button.  It will turn on when there is power automatically.  If somehow it doesn't you can unplug and plug the power cable at the front dashcam.  

-  Another way, and this is what I find the most useful, is there is a switch on the Cellink B to toggle Off/5A/7A.  Off turns off power.  5A turns it on if you are charging the Blackvue from the 12V socket and 7A if you are charging from the fuse.  I suggest using the fuse as it charges faster, it does not occupy 1 of your 12V power sockets, and less cabling is visible.  The switch is a bit inconvenient to reach as you have to reach your arm below the driver's seat, but once you know where it is it is a quick job.  I understand the PowerMagic pro has a switch too and it is conveniently next to your steering wheel where it mounted. 

- I have not found a way to turn off parking mode using the App, so I depend on the Cellink B switch to turn it off.  I do so when I am parking the car for long hours at my HDB when I am not driving it.  I do this so that when I drive off the next time there is juice to power the cameras which is more important, capturing driving vids.

- The range of the WiFi is pretty good.  When I park it downstairs, I can still connect from the fourth floor.

Well, basically that is it.  Will come in to edit if I think of more stuff to add.

Edited by Rachdanom
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Hi brother Rachdanom, thank you very much for the details info on Balckvue cam and cellink B. After driving for coming to 2 mths of my new Altis, I've decided to install cellink B3 battery pack.  I am also wish to connect the dash cam over the cloud and I'd tried but failed and could not know how to connect.  Anyway, I regretted installing a 1CH Blackvue cam instead of 2Ch.

Have a nice day.

Just got my car from Motor Image, which was preceded by quite intense study into dash cams.  Thought I'd contribute and share what I had learnt for the benefit of others : 

What :  \

- Blackvue DR650GW - 2CH .  2CH stands for 2 channels - front and back.  You can also get 1 CH for front only.   The version I have has the Över the Cloud function, hence it is also called Blackvue Over the Cloud.

- Cellink B6 battery.  I opted this over the Power Magic Pro which draws on your car battery.  I wanted to avoid affecting the battery, and increase risk of premature battery damage and car unable to start, even though it has a low voltage cut off function. This is based on Google research not real life experience as I have not tried the Power Magic route before.  There is a B6 higher capacity, and a B3 lower capacity (for 1 Ch apparently)

Cost : About 1k for Motor Image to buy and install it.  Motor Image actually recommends mainly to go with the Power Magic Pro.  Well for one, they make money in replacing batteries - just my personal conspiracy theory.

How it was installed :

Blackvue front camera power cable and connecting cable to rear camera are concealed along the periphery of the windscreen so you see no wires.  The power cable is somehow hidden below the carpet before it is connected to the Cellink B below the drivers seat.  The Cellink B is connected by velcro to the car carpet floor.  The connecting cables are facing the front.  The Cellink B is then powered from another cable to the fuse connections to the right of the steering wheel.  Rear camera is connected only the front camera with one cable for both power and signal.  There is no separate cable from rear to the Cellink B.  

How it Works :

Cellink powers the cameras at all times.  It is charged only when the car is running.  When car is off, cameras will go into Parking Mode. This will capture vids when the camera detects motion or is jolted (G-sensors)  Parking Mode will continue until you drive the car or when the battery is dead.    So basically if you hardly drive and park the car for a few days, your Cellink will die.  

How  I am using it :

The app on my Andriod phone is Blackvue C.  Note there is another app called Blackvue without the "C"'.  You must use the one with "C" for it to work.  Currently at the time of this writing, I understand there is no PC version yet for Blackvue Over the Cloud.  Default password is "blackvue" which you can change using the App.  I am using the 32GB SD card that comes with it, and seems to be able to not overwrite vids a day or more before.  So I think it is enough, no need to go for 64GB.

Things to note :

- The camera has no on/off button.  It will turn on when there is power automatically.  If somehow it doesn't you can unplug and plug the power cable at the front dashcam.  

-  Another way, and this is what I find the most useful, is there is a switch on the Cellink B to toggle Off/5A/7A.  Off turns off power.  5A turns it on if you are charging the Blackvue from the 12V socket and 7A if you are charging from the fuse.  I suggest using the fuse as it charges faster, it does not occupy 1 of your 12V power sockets, and less cabling is visible.  The switch is a bit inconvenient to reach as you have to reach your arm below the driver's seat, but once you know where it is it is a quick job.  I understand the PowerMagic pro has a switch too and it is conveniently next to your steering wheel where it mounted. 

- I have not found a way to turn off parking mode using the App, so I depend on the Cellink B switch to turn it off.  I do so when I am parking the car for long hours at my HDB when I am not driving it.  I do this so that when I drive off the next time there is juice to power the cameras which is more important, capturing driving vids.

- The range of the WiFi is pretty good.  When I park it downstairs, I can still connect from the fourth floor.

Well, basically that is it.  Will come in to edit if I think of more stuff to add.

Just got my car from Motor Image, which was preceded by quite intense study into dash cams. Thought I'd contribute and share what I had learnt for the benefit of others :

What : \

- Blackvue DR650GW - 2CH . 2CH stands for 2 channels - front and back. You can also get 1 CH for front only. The version I have has the Ãver the Cloud function, hence it is also called Blackvue Over the Cloud.

- Cellink B6 battery. I opted this over the Power Magic Pro which draws on your car battery. I wanted to avoid affecting the battery, and increase risk of premature battery damage and car unable to start, even though it has a low voltage cut off function. This is based on Google research not real life experience as I have not tried the Power Magic route before. There is a B6 higher capacity, and a B3 lower capacity (for 1 Ch apparently)

Cost : About 1k for Motor Image to buy and install it. Motor Image actually recommends mainly to go with the Power Magic Pro. Well for one, they make money in replacing batteries - just my personal conspiracy theory.

How it was installed :

Blackvue front camera power cable and connecting cable to rear camera are concealed along the periphery of the windscreen so you see no wires. The power cable is somehow hidden below the carpet before it is connected to the Cellink B below the drivers seat. The Cellink B is connected by velcro to the car carpet floor. The connecting cables are facing the front. The Cellink B is then powered from another cable to the fuse connections to the right of the steering wheel. Rear camera is connected only the front camera with one cable for both power and signal. There is no separate cable from rear to the Cellink B.

How it Works :

Cellink powers the cameras at all times. It is charged only when the car is running. When car is off, cameras will go into Parking Mode. This will capture vids when the camera detects motion or is jolted (G-sensors) Parking Mode will continue until you drive the car or when the battery is dead. So basically if you hardly drive and park the car for a few days, your Cellink will die.

How I am using it :

The app on my Andriod phone is Blackvue C. Note there is another app called Blackvue without the "C"'. You must use the one with "C" for it to work. Currently at the time of this writing, I understand there is no PC version yet for Blackvue Over the Cloud. Default password is "blackvue" which you can change using the App. I am using the 32GB SD card that comes with it, and seems to be able to not overwrite vids a day or more before. So I think it is enough, no need to go for 64GB.

Things to note :

- The camera has no on/off button. It will turn on when there is power automatically. If somehow it doesn't you can unplug and plug the power cable at the front dashcam.

- Another way, and this is what I find the most useful, is there is a switch on the Cellink B to toggle Off/5A/7A. Off turns off power. 5A turns it on if you are charging the Blackvue from the 12V socket and 7A if you are charging from the fuse. I suggest using the fuse as it charges faster, it does not occupy 1 of your 12V power sockets, and less cabling is visible. The switch is a bit inconvenient to reach as you have to reach your arm below the driver's seat, but once you know where it is it is a quick job. I understand the PowerMagic pro has a switch too and it is conveniently next to your steering wheel where it mounted.

- I have not found a way to turn off parking mode using the App, so I depend on the Cellink B switch to turn it off. I do so when I am parking the car for long hours at my HDB when I am not driving it. I do this so that when I drive off the next time there is juice to power the cameras which is more important, capturing driving vids.

- The range of the WiFi is pretty good. When I park it downstairs, I can still connect from the fourth floor.

Well, basically that is it. Will come in to edit if I think of more stuff to add.

Good write-up !

Have you done some research on the Sensitivity set-up during Park mode ? Ie : what are the most practical set points ? Or Default settings are OK.

(edited)

Good write-up !

Have you done some research on the Sensitivity set-up during Park mode ? Ie : what are the most practical set points ? Or Default settings are OK.

Great question.  I was thinking of updating on this but am still testing.  Since you asked, definitely the 40 setting is way too sensitive.  My car was parked in an open air HDB carpark during weekday where not much was going on, but in the distant some 100m to 150m away cars were constantly zooming along the ECP.    That was the only movement and it kept my blackvue constantly recording, which I think killed the battery,

Did some googling and it was recommended to set it at a meagre 5.  Tested it a bit and it seemed to avoid recording distant movement, but still did record  someone crossing the front of the car or a car driving past say 20m away.

Would be good if more people posted their settings.

Edited by Rachdanom

Great question.  I was thinking of updating on this but am still testing.  Since you asked, definitely the 40 setting is way too sensitive.  My car was parked in an open air HDB carpark during weekday where not much was going on, but in the distant some 100m to 150m away cars were constantly zooming along the ECP.    That was the only movement and it kept my blackvue constantly recording, which I think killed the battery,

Did some googling and it was recommended to set it at a meagre 5.  Tested it a bit and it seemed to avoid recording distant movement, but still did record  someone crossing the front of the car or a car driving past say 20m away.

Would be good if more people posted their settings.

Wanted to start by thanking you for your earlier post which was super informative and helped nail it for me in terms of which in-car cam to get.  [thumbsup]  I ended up with the same configuration, except that it is the newer DR650S instead of the GW.

I have ran some tests over the last couple of days, with the sensitivity at 5, and also at 1.  There seems to be little appreciable difference between the two and I guess the reality is that in a MSCP, there are always going to be cars driving past, triggering the sensor.  In the end, I have left it at 5.  A lot of rubbish, but then I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

One other thing to add is that I also researched which microSD card to buy.  An earlier post has a nice summary but it is a little dated, and a lot of the brands, never see before one.  But I did note that it seemed to indicate hotter temperatures with the Samsung EVO cards (which were the ones I was going to buy), so consulted Uncle Google a little more.  I chanced upon this video (

) which pretty much convinced me to get the Sandisk High Endurance card (https://www.sandisk.sg/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/high-endurance-microsd) as I was not able to find a local shop carrying the Transcend High Endurance card.  I have a sneaky suspicion that a lot of it is marketing speak, but well, it cost just a bit more, so just get for peace of mind.  One important detail is that for many microSD cards, using them in an in-car camera voids the warranty of the card.  With the High Endurance card, Sandisk provides a two year warranty including use in in-car cameras.  Bought at Challenger for $59.

I bought the 64GB and it lasts about a day and a half but I had switched all the resolution settings to max.  I think it really depends on a number of factors.  I park in a MSCP at night and office car park during the day so sure have cars driving past often which fills up the card but I don't have any solution to that beyond getting a larger capacity card.

One observation is driving off in the morning, because it is in a car park, there is no GPS signal so it stays in parking mode but starts recording because there is 'motion'.  It is only after exiting the car park, when there is GPS, you hear the 'for your safety' message.  It got me worried the first day as I thought the camera would not record until exit car park but I realised my mistake only after checking the videos.

Overall, happy with the camera.  It looks super sleek but yet not obvious and in-your-face.  [thumbsup]   For those considering this, Blackvue is running a promo (http://www.blackvue.com.sg/promotions.html) till end of August.

For those who want to disable Parking Mode, a power magic pro is necessary. I've lived and worked at the same place, parked in the same general areas and have almost Zero known incidents of carpark hit and runs. However, in carparks that i consider high risk or in a lot that is exposed, i would like to have the parking mode On.

The PMP has 3 features, voltage setting, time setting and the main PMP power switch. When the power switch is On, the Blackvue works in accordance to the settings as configured. When the car is parked, the device goes into park mode settings if Auto is selected.

However, if the PMP power switch is Off, the blackvue will only run if the ignition is On. You will hear the voice prompt 'Safe driving etc'. And when the ignition is switched Off, the voice prompt 'Shutting down' with the LED lights extinguished.

The reason for not wanting parking mode is arguable. At least the option is available for installations with PMP.

Anyone know if the recording LED is always on, what does it means ?

Think mine got problem, rear and front camera white LED not on, no message when start engine, GPS blue LED also not on.

Downloaded the manual but cannot find any troubleshooting information on the LED light meaning.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone know if the recording LED is always on, what does it means ?

Think mine got problem, rear and front camera white LED not on, no message when start engine, GPS blue LED also not on.

Downloaded the manual but cannot find any troubleshooting information on the LED light meaning.

Thanks in advance.

Answer my own question just to share.

I still don't know what was the problem with my cam last evening.

Still the same this morning.

I solved the problem by unplugging the power connection to my cam, waited few seconds for the LED to finally go off, than connect back the power , and re- start my car.

• Praise 2

Wanted to start by thanking you for your earlier post which was super informative and helped nail it for me in terms of which in-car cam to get.  [thumbsup]  I ended up with the same configuration, except that it is the newer DR650S instead of the GW.

I have ran some tests over the last couple of days, with the sensitivity at 5, and also at 1.  There seems to be little appreciable difference between the two and I guess the reality is that in a MSCP, there are always going to be cars driving past, triggering the sensor.  In the end, I have left it at 5.  A lot of rubbish, but then I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your write up, I set the sensitivity level to 10 instead of 5, I think 5 is a bit too low.  anyone can advice on this, please.

Thanks for your write up, I set the sensitivity level to 10 instead of 5, I think 5 is a bit too low.  anyone can advice on this, please.

Just to share........today afternoon was so free so spent the afternoon to test my dash cam.....1st changed to a 64GB SD Card and watching the recoding process while set the sensitivity level to 10 and observed that people passing by diagonally within 20-30m also start recording.  Then I re-set it to level 5 only car and people passing by within the range of 10-20m then it start recording.  I finally convinced to set it to 5.

Thanks to Suleyman's recommendation for the Sandisk High Endurance card 64GB.

Hi,

Looking for Blackvue DR650S - 2CH over the cloud, anyone wanna feedback based on experience?? Really impress on the over the cloud thing, especially I got bad experience on my car got stolen in JB after 1 hour shopping.

Thinking get the DR650S - 2CH + Cellink B/C Battery + Car WiFi Kit for my new car.

Thanks for sharing first.

Hi,

Looking for Blackvue DR650S - 2CH over the cloud, anyone wanna feedback based on experience?? Really impress on the over the cloud thing, especially I got bad experience on my car got stolen in JB after 1 hour shopping.

Thinking get the DR650S - 2CH + Cellink B/C Battery + Car WiFi Kit for my new car.

Thanks for sharing first.

Don't drive to JB.

How does it help to prevent car theft?

• Praise 1

Don't drive to JB.

How does it help to prevent car theft?

No choice as I got family there.

It can't prevent car theft, just kind "hopefully" can still know where is the car after it gone or can be alerted right away if something happened to the car which park far away, based on "advertising", it got "emergency alert" feature, look quite impressive~ but never use before, don't really know how it perform.

Anyway, 1 more secure feature mean 1 more peaceful in mind, although most of time it didn't work in reality....

It can't prevent car theft, just kind "hopefully" can still know where is the car after it gone or can be alerted right away if something happened to the car which park far away, based on "advertising", it got "emergency alert" feature, look quite impressive~ but never use before, don't really know how it perform.

Anyway, 1 more secure feature mean 1 more peaceful in mind, although most of time it didn't work in reality....

Like that, not enough lah.

You need:

1. Two alarm, clifford or viper

2. Vehicles tracking, like captor.

Brother, if the person who wanna take your car away first thing he will do is to unplug & disconnect your dashcam.  No way you can trace the car.   If I would suggest since you've family there, get another 7 years old car for going to JB and by after 3 yrs your new car is 3 years old that may not attract so high risk of being stolen.

Some years back, one of my friend drove a new Honda Accord 2.4 to Malacca and got stolen. But he knows some SS guys there and managed to trace the car that was about to be sent to Thailand and he got his car back.  Still he need to pay a recovery fee of $15,000.

Brother kcng, good news for you............see this link may be useful for your to trace your car.........  http://techiefans.com/how-to-track-your-vehicle-on-the-cheap-using-your-smartphone-eu/?IM=A02&TT=T01&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral&SID=cpxi-pressroomvip&sxid=0v03lu22t82a

↡ Advertisement