Home Aircon

BoneStock

Bro, all I know is don't get Panasonic, totally no after-sales service whatsoever! [furious]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

If you want good aircon fixup service, look for Hong Tar at Bukit Batok. They are not the cheapest around but highly reputable in Renotalk. Look for catherine. I got the Mitsubishi starmex split 4 with piping and metal bracket, SGD3900 4 months ago.

• Praise 1

If you want good aircon fixup service, look for Hong Tar at Bukit Batok. They are not the cheapest around but highly reputable in Renotalk. Look for catherine. I got the Mitsubishi starmex split 4 with piping and metal bracket, SGD3900 4 months ago.

all in price? split 4 how many ticks? 3.9k looks like a reasonable ballpark figure to me.

• Praise 1

all in price? split 4 how many ticks? 3.9k looks like a reasonable ballpark figure to me.

The technician, you can look for George... Very nice guy. Usually, it goes like this

1) 1st visit to survey the place and discuss with owner how to lay the pipings

2) 2nd visit to lay the pipings

3) 3rd visit to fix the blower and compressor...

Turbocharged
(edited)

1. No you cannot reuse the existing copper piping. your home piping were meant to conduct the old type of refrigerant known as R22A which has been phased out. R410A the replacement has significant differences in terms of saturation temperature and pressure. you need to get the contractor to reroute a new set of duplicate piping for your case.

I only know Mit inverter can use back the old piping (provided they are not leaking etc). Look at the MIT brochure, they do state about the R22A and R410A thingy. I enquired with Gain City.

I installed (all new piping) MIT Electric inverter (model MXY3A28VA) system 3 (4 ticks).

BTU 9K + 9K + 9K = S$2989

Upgrade 1 of them to 18K BTU : S$80

Upgrade the cooper and insulator : S$180

Total : S$3249 nett including GST (from gain city)

Installation date is at least 3-4 weeks from now.

But i lucky, got it installed within 3 days after booking (someone cancelled last miniute).

Take note : There are 2 types of MIT Inverter.

A) MIT Electric

B) MIT Heavy Industries (This brand is cheaper by about S$160 based on the above spec of 9K 9K 18K)

Now is PEAK season for Air-con. Most of them dont give any special deal.

1yr parts, 3yrs installation, 5yr compressor.

If you purchase during LOW season (example : Oct/Nov raining period), you will get extra 4yrs extended warranty (usual cost S$399) on parts.

At Gain city, you dont need any recommendation, all prices the same. they very HL kind of attitude.

I bought System 3 and my friend also bought the same set at the same time. didnt even get a cent discount from them. No free gift.

You can only request for senior technican to install the A/C at yr house.

Edited by Mcf777
  • Praise 2

Questions

1) My bedroom has custom made wardrobes. So the pipings cannot be replaced as it will damage the wardrobe. Any issue using existing pipings?

Piping could be replaced if existing piping is there. The contractor can simply use back the same holes/compartment. Even if it is slightly scratched, you can still do touch up on the wardrobe.... Its advise to change the pipes, since its alrd 10 yrs old. You may flush it but its not as reliable compare to replacing it. Furthermore, the different of $150 you mentioned its not very much compare to the potential problem in the future.

2) Currently, my aircon consumes 10~11KWh of power daily with 2 blowers turned on at night for 8 hours. The sales guys told me new inverter aircons can easily consume half of that. True?

Not to mentioned inverter or none inverter.... even if it is a same make n model, but new compressor will make the different in terms of efficiency alrd... As for how much savings, no one can confirm that. Even if the same aircon installed in another same size room, turning on the same amount of hours & set at the same temp has different power consumption, there are simply too many factors that can affect the power consumption....

3) One sales guy told me the most energy efficient aircon now is Toshiba 3 split. Energy saver labels shows 0.65 KWh (part load) so it translates into 5.2 KWh for 8 hours of usage. This is about 1/2 of my current aircon's consumption. So part load for a 3-split aircon means 2 blowers are turned?

Those are just marketing gimmick... its just like car, car dealers tell you car A can achieve 20km/L, r u gg to believe that?? if you cant achieve the same result after buying the car, what can you do?? complain??? Even if you complain, they will come and tell you its your driving stye/ traffic condition/etc....

Am considering either to go with Toshiba or Mitsubishi. There are many brands to choose from...very different from 10+ years ago when I only have 2~3 choices for the 5-split. Any other better recommendations please let me know. My top priority is low energy consumption and reliability.

If I were you, stay on with the current aircon. It has been serving you well and you know that its reliable. As for savings, do your own math and calculate what is the ROI if average savings on electricity per month is 25%. If you are satisfied with the ROI, then go ahead. Otherwise, just stay on with the old aircon...thanks

• Praise 2

I only know Mit inverter can use back the old piping (provided they are not leaking etc). Look at the MIT brochure, they do state about the R22A and R410A thingy. I enquired with Gain City.

I installed (all new piping) MIT Electric inverter (model MXY3A28VA) system 3 (4 ticks).

BTU 9K + 9K + 9K = S$2989

Upgrade 1 of them to 18K BTU : S$80

Upgrade the cooper and insulator : S$180

Total : S$3249 nett including GST (from gain city)

Installation date is at least 3-4 weeks from now.

But i lucky, got it installed within 3 days after booking (someone cancelled last miniute).

Take note : There are 2 types of MIT Inverter.

A) MIT Electric

B) MIT Heavy Industries (This brand is cheaper by about S$160 based on the above spec of 9K 9K 18K)

Now is PEAK season for Air-con. Most of them dont give any special deal.

1yr parts, 3yrs installation, 5yr compressor.

If you purchase during LOW season (example : Oct/Nov raining period), you will get extra 4yrs extended warranty (usual cost S$399) on parts.

At Gain city, you dont need any recommendation, all prices the same. they very HL kind of attitude.

I bought System 3 and my friend also bought the same set at the same time. didnt even get a cent discount from them. No free gift.

You can only request for senior technican to install the A/C at yr house.

The refrigerant used contain oil(s). i can't remember it was the R22A which came with a mineral oil or the R410A that came with the synthetic oil or the other way around. The point being, because of the saturation temperature and pressure being different, the wrong type of oil present will separate itself from the refrigerant and cause problems within the piping. I never heard before that newer refrigerant HVAC systems are able to reuse old piping based on R22A. I may be wrong.

I got my toshiba sys 3 inverter from gain city last month @changi city point branch. Very good sales service with every detail covered (look for Andy or Victor). Installation was very good and the blowers function very well.

I did read about lemon service from GC but since I hear good service too, I rather go after big boy shop that is certified than any ah seng Pte ltd.

Bottom line is don't stinge on aircon.

• Praise 2

No leh.

My experience is opposite.

Mitsubishi- more problematic

Daikin and Panasonic is more robust.

• Praise 2

No leh.

My experience is opposite.

Mitsubishi- more problematic

Daikin and Panasonic is more robust.

From my pov, it seems that the condenser unit is designed to eventually get clogged up with dust. One thing i can't understand is why the a/c filter cannot be HEPA grade to prevent dirt/dust/grime from entering and getting lodged within the recesses and in between the aluminum fins of the A condenser tower. Also, besides the idea of being compact, is there a real reason why the blower unit has to be a drum?

Bro, all I know is don't get Panasonic, totally no after-sales service whatsoever! [furious]

wah i just went to GC and they quoted me 2.7k for Panasonic 3 split. Saying there is a promo now.

• Praise 1

thanks for your advice bro. Will take into consideration [thumbsup]

Most likely I will still need to change the aircon cos it is >10years old and the old refrigerant will not be available in the near future. So if new inverter aircons are quieter and more energy efficient I feel it is worth to change. Just visited another shop after dinner and the sales guy was quite experienced. He gave us some new ideas to get around the wardrobe issue.

Anyway, am not in a hurry so will prob visit some more shops and sign up during promos or roadshows if possible.

currently, don't you have blockage in the pipes? now all the new aircons use larger diameter pipe. so it is advisable to change all the piping.

mostly pple will get Mitsubishi. try looking around your area and you know which is the most common brand. Mitsubishi is realiable.

the pipes are all ok, except there is gas leakage to one of the blowers and the repair man was not able to rectify. Anyway, that blower is in the living room and hardly used.

maybe leave the existing pipes alone and think of how to run the new pipes.

Had a new idea after visiting GC just now. That sales guy quite experienced and gave us some new ideas.

The solution is to remove all the visible trunkings and then patch up the holes. So my wardrobe remains intact. Will then re-route some trunkings and merge with those from my 2 blowers in my living room that won't be used anymore. So the total length of trunkings will actually reduce by 50% [thumbsup]

Anyway, still need the technician to visit my home to verify. But based on my own observation I think the GC sales man is right.

Gain City installers are sub contractors with no responsibilty to Gain City so very difficult to sort out if installation is poor.

Check good installers on Renotalk.

oic...will register an account there and have a look. thanks [thumbsup]

Anyway, my current aircon was purchased from GC >10years ago. So far so good...perhaps I was lucky [:)]