Do NOT engine flush

Mllcg

Twincharged

But let's say the AD's workshop recommends engine flush.

If you refuse to do it, will they say void the warranty or something?

↡ Advertisement

But let's say the AD's workshop recommends engine flush.

If you refuse to do it, will they say void the warranty or something?

Just my old school views...

I did not buy the ideas of Engine treatment from AD upon servicing intervals.

- Engine Flush ( How well depositants being flush or drain out effectively with couple of minutues work?? Moreover, cars' owner are not allow to view what they are doing in servicing bay)

- Engine Protectant

- Fuel additive

as an additional paid option package.

Svc centre always sings " It is good to have"

But they did not says anything related to warranty for above option.

End of days, owners' choice.

Warranty is normal tied with svc intervals with AD.

Afterall, go north drive 1 round and car surely feels reactive and lighten by alot...heee [:p]

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Toilet must flush so many people never flush.

Engine shouldn't flush so many people go

and flush and best thing is advise other

people to also go and flush.

:D

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

If someone has a really dirty engine say 30k km never change oil

then just put cheap mineral oil and run for 500 km and then

change the oil. That will help get rid of all the dirt inside.

I am not sure if this is related.

My previous car, running fine for no issues did gearbox flushing at 120k km as recommended by workshop. By 125k km, gearbox very jerky and CEL came on. Went to another branch of the same workshop and was diagnose as water inside gearbox and replacement of gearbox switch. Ask workshop if this is related to the flushing but workshop says no.

Maybe its suay but I still suspect the water inside gearbox and faulty switch is due to the flushing.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

I doubt they use water to flush any part of the car though.

At most is put some kind of additive inside...

But good to have learned from you guys.

So far, I cannot confirm any positive or negative aspects of engine flush. But there was a period of ownership I could not afford engine flush and another period I felt I could afford.

Generally fuel efficiency went down, but could also be due to age of car or because of change in % of city driving. Also had three instances of car shutting engine at traffic lights, but those only happened after car was about 8 years old.

Will examine the car manual more carefully for the next car.

My previous car, running fine for no issues did gearbox flushing at 120k km as recommended by workshop. By 125k km, gearbox very jerky and CEL came on. Went to another branch of the same workshop and was diagnose as water inside gearbox and replacement of gearbox switch. Ask workshop if this is related to the flushing but workshop says no.

Maybe its suay but I still suspect the water inside gearbox and faulty switch is due to the flushing.

If someone has a really dirty engine say 30k km never change oil

then just put cheap mineral oil and run for 500 km and then

change the oil. That will help get rid of all the dirt inside.

Don't even need to buy cheap mineral oil - can just buy $19.90 /4 litre turtle synthetic oil from Giant and change oil every 1000 km!

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

My previous car, running fine for no issues did gearbox flushing at 120k km as recommended by workshop. By 125k km, gearbox very jerky and CEL came on. Went to another branch of the same workshop and was diagnose as water inside gearbox and replacement of gearbox switch. Ask workshop if this is related to the flushing but workshop says no.

Flashing may result in breaking the seal integrity.. So proberly water inside gearbox is because the seal integrity is broken.. Many workshop people are just rubbish.. Simple servicing okay, but more in depth knowledge they just anyhow hantam including AD. Of coz there are still experience and super knowledgeable workshop people out there but I feel that the number is very small..

​Just do a simple search and there are more experience and knowledgeable people that give the answer..

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/38032/when-is-an-engine-flush-a-good-idea

​So whenever you ask workshop people and mechanics on some more in depth questions or technical questions and they give you the answer, just take it as a pinch of salt and do research yourself better.

​By the way, there is this workshop guy OVER tighten the sparkplug many years ago that result in almost breaking the sparkplug in the next change, mechanics just can't take out the sparkplug and it is just too tightly attached to the car and further force may break the sparkplug.. So you see..

​This is also one thing I don't like about what mechanics do, many like to OVER tighten and they feel the tighter the better, in fact it is not, over tighten may result in if want to take out next time, it could not be easily be taken out and if use too much force, the things may break... 

Edited by Yewheng

(edited)

Spark plugs, if you can DIY/hep yourself better do it yourself.

Before putting in the plugs, coat lightly around the treads with some grease. The next change, you can easily remove.

I have DIY changed before and I know I didn't overtighten them, but they were difficult to take out the next change. Now I put grease. No w/s will do it for you. So, if it is a package deal, DIY greasing the next day when car is cold.

There is no need to tighten the plugs. Just screw using very light force until cannot turn. Don't need to turn it hard to tighten. Your iggy coils basically sit and also bolted on top of the plugs and plugs won't jump up for no reason.

Flashing may result in breaking the seal integrity.. So proberly water inside gearbox is because the seal integrity is broken.. Many workshop people are just rubbish.. Simple servicing okay, but more in depth knowledge they just anyhow hantam including AD. Of coz there are still experience and super knowledgeable workshop people out there but I feel that the number is very small..

​Just do a simple search and there are more experience and knowledgeable people that give the answer..

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/38032/when-is-an-engine-flush-a-good-idea

​So whenever you ask workshop people and mechanics on some more in depth questions or technical questions and they give you the answer, just take it as a pinch of salt and do research yourself better.

​By the way, there is this workshop guy OVER tighten the sparkplug many years ago that result in almost breaking the sparkplug in the next change, mechanics just can't take out the sparkplug and it is just too tightly attached to the car and further force may break the sparkplug.. So you see..

​This is also one thing I don't like about what mechanics do, many like to OVER tighten and they feel the tighter the better, in fact it is not, over tighten may result in if want to take out next time, it could not be easily be taken out and if use too much force, the things may break... 

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 3

Twincharged

Problem is some of us (myself) are engine idiots. Open hood, look cool, cover back.

Need to enrol in a basic course to learn it.

I don't even know what spark plugs look like.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Problem is some of us (myself) are engine idiots. Open hood, look cool, cover back.

Need to enrol in a basic course to learn it.

I don't even know what spark plugs look like.

Changing spark plugs have to be careful.

The thread is fine, which means you can easily cross-thread, if the plug was tilted a bit and you forced it in, damaging the threads.

Then the plug gaps need to be measured and gapped for the correct size according to engine specs.

I encounted a case whereby 1 of the 4 plug gaps was too small.

This resulted in engine vibration, due to the difference in power output.

And would lead to people telling you to change engine mounts, when the culprit was just one of the plug gap was wrong.

However, many mechanics would not bother (or dunno how) to gap the plugs. They simply take it out of the box and plug it in.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

That's why torque wrench is important.

I only see 1 tyre shop uses torque wrench.

do you think it is an insult to the mechanic if I pass him my torque wrench or I will get the story of lim peh repair car for X number of years, tighten bolts and nuts more than you eat rice.... blah blah blah

do you think it is an insult to the mechanic if I pass him my torque wrench or I will get the story of lim peh repair car for X number of years, tighten bolts and nuts more than you eat rice.... blah blah blah

These are the mechanic to avoid.

I use torque tools to tighten bolts on bicycle.

even if u pass him the torque wrench .

either 1 of u must also know the correct torque to use for each part/nuts/screws.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

You should always change the spark plug yourself unless you drive a Nissan.

When you put the spark plug in you will do it gently and not just force it in and damage

the thread. Then if you love your car you will not over tighten and if you really

love your car you will use the torque wrench. Most mechanics are not exactly

university trained engineers and most learn from monkey see monkey do.

I had my radiator flushed and after the whole process the reservior tank still has the old

green coolant after they put in the new pink coolant. This is how much they know.

Trust them? if they were really experts they wouldn't be working changing oil and tyre etc.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 3

That's why torque wrench is important.

I only see 1 tyre shop uses torque wrench.

I always forbid them to use air wrench but insist them to use torque wrench when putting back the wheels.

Twincharged
(edited)

​If you think it is good for your car go ahead and pass to mechanic.. dont care whether it is an insult or what, if mechanic not happy or say something like if he use your item and will make spoil your car or what shit excuse, then tell him its my car and I know whats the best for my car.. You use this and if spoil I will be responsible and pay for it.. haha

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement