Do NOT engine flush

Mllcg

Twincharged
(edited)

I always forbid them to use air wrench but insist them to use torque wrench when putting back the wheels.

​Put back wheels using air wrench is okay la. Just that when buy new tyres and they changed it, they ALWAYS like to OVER PRESSURE the tyre and the over pressure is a lot man, can go up to 260 KPI.. I was like WTF... Everytime after the change, I will instruct them to pump to the PSI I wanted, if I forget to let them know, I will straight away drive to petrol station and re-pump the tyre. 100% of the time I go to petrol station and put in the nozzle, OVER PSI and the pump equipment have to let air out instead of pump air in.

​Just dont know why they like to over pressure tyre. Anyone know why?

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement

Twincharged
(edited)

You should always change the spark plug yourself unless you drive a Nissan.

When you put the spark plug in you will do it gently and not just force it in and damage

the thread. Then if you love your car you will not over tighten and if you really

love your car you will use the torque wrench. Most mechanics are not exactly

university trained engineers and most learn from monkey see monkey do.

I had my radiator flushed and after the whole process the reservior tank still has the old

green coolant after they put in the new pink coolant. This is how much they know.

Trust them? if they were really experts they wouldn't be working changing oil and tyre etc.

:D

​Not only spark plug, do wheel alignment, they also like to over tighten. It seems like mechanic habit or have the mindset, the tighter the better.

​Got one time I ask the mechanic, why he like to over tighten the nut.., he said, the tighter the better, if not driving the nuts come loose and come out how? It will be safety hazard.. I was like, does he know the difference between tight can already and nuts will not come out one and the over tighten effect or not.. lazy to explain and drive off.. 

Edited by Yewheng

Supercharged

âIf you think it is good for your car go ahead and pass to mechanic.. dont care whether it is an insult or what, if mechanic not happy or say something like if he use your item and will make spoil your car or what shit excuse, then tell him its my car and I know whats the best for my car.. You use this and if spoil I will be responsible and pay for it.. haha

it's like telling the chef to use your measuring cup leh...

what I do now is telling the guy (I hate to call them mechanic) not to go too tight and I will re-torque when I reach home.

I always forbid them to use air wrench but insist them to use torque wrench when putting back the wheels.

my last car got a warped brake rotor because of the bloody impact wrench
  • Praise 2

âPut back wheels using air wrench is okay la. Just that when buy new tyres and they changed it, they ALWAYS like to OVER PRESSURE the tyre and the over pressure is a lot man, can go up to 260 KPI.. I was like WTF... Everytime after the change, I will instruct them to pump to the PSI I wanted, if I forget to let them know, I will straight away drive to petrol station and re-pump the tyre. 100% of the time I go to petrol station and put in the nozzle, OVER PSI and the pump equipment have to let air out instead of pump air in.

âJust dont know why they like to over pressure tyre. Anyone know why?

Happened to me 2 weeks ago. Pumped up to 2.8 bar! That's 2 bar above the recommended pressure for "economy" driving.

I think they want to help you in getting better fuel economy and then can claim that the tyres they sell you very good one!

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

Happened to me 2 weeks ago. Pumped up to 2.8 bar! That's 2 bar above the recommended pressure for "economy" driving.

I think they want to help you in getting better fuel economy and then can claim that the tyres they sell you very good one!

Not just once, is Everytime.. So you all know what to do already hor. After mechanics changed Tyre, 1st thing to do is repump Tyre to correct Tyre pressure.. Don't bother to check Tyre pressure as 100% of the time they will over pressure ( infact sometimes is TOO overly pressure) unless you specially ask them to pump to the specific Tyre pressure.. Even then also need to check..

Over pressure is bad for Tyre and can be a safety hazard when driving high speed..

*edit my previous post is 260kpa not kpi....

Edited by Yewheng

In fact 260 KPA = 38 PSI is not high for newly installed tyres.

Reasons being, new tyres are softer and more flexible. They will usually pump up till about 40 PSI for newly installed tyres for beads to better seat properly on the rims. Once it is seasoned, you can drop the pressure progressively yourself after some driving around.

That's the explanation given by one mech.

​Put back wheels using air wrench is okay la. Just that when buy new tyres and they changed it, they ALWAYS like to OVER PRESSURE the tyre and the over pressure is a lot man, can go up to 260 KPI.. I was like WTF... Everytime after the change, I will instruct them to pump to the PSI I wanted, if I forget to let them know, I will straight away drive to petrol station and re-pump the tyre. 100% of the time I go to petrol station and put in the nozzle, OVER PSI and the pump equipment have to let air out instead of pump air in.

​Just dont know why they like to over pressure tyre. Anyone know why?

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Reasons being, new tyres are softer and more flexible. They will usually pump up till about 40 PSI for newly installed tyres for beads to better seat properly on the rims. Once it is seasoned, you can drop the pressure progressively yourself after some driving around.

This is rubbish leh.. I re-pump to 220kpa drive till the next Tyre change also like that. There is no single incident of tyres not sitting properly after it is installed.

(edited)

Rubbish or gold IDK. :D

But if you have seen the installation, they apply mounting fluid and it requires some time to dry up properly. Else, your tyre may spin on the rim under certain circumstances.

Obviously, time is $$$ and tyre shops don't have the luxury to let your car stay in their w/s any longer once they are mounted. The most economical and practical way is to over inflate.

Over inflation vs over tightening of bolt/nut, the former is lesser evil. :D

This is rubbish leh.. I re-pump to 220kpa drive till the next Tyre change also like that. There is no single incident of tyres not sitting properly after it is installed.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Rubbish or gold IDK. :D

But if you have seen the installation, they apply mounting fluid and it requires some time to dry up properly. Else, your tyre may spin on the rim under certain circumstances.

Obviously, time is $$$ and tyre shops don't have the luxury to let your car stay in their w/s any longer once they are mounted. The most economical and practical way is to over inflate.

Over inflation vs over tightening of bolt/nut, the former is lesser evil. :D

Thanks for the information, learnt something new..

Supersonic

usually the nut always overtightened the wheel nuts.

torque wrench ? what's that ? :D

if you're lucky, the brake disc don't warped, due to uneven overtightening.

Supercharged

These are the mechanic to avoid.

I use torque tools to tighten bolts on bicycle.

I am curious what is the typical range of a bicycle torque wrench? 5Nm to 50Nm?

(edited)

Spark plugs, if you can DIY/hep yourself better do it yourself.

Before putting in the plugs, coat lightly around the treads with some grease. The next change, you can easily remove.

I have DIY changed before and I know I didn't overtighten them, but they were difficult to take out the next change. Now I put grease. No w/s will do it for you. So, if it is a package deal, DIY greasing the next day when car is cold.

There is no need to tighten the plugs. Just screw using very light force until cannot turn. Don't need to turn it hard to tighten. Your iggy coils basically sit and also bolted on top of the plugs and plugs won't jump up for no reason.

I also DIY (not that type).  Dont anyhow put grease on the plug threads.  Use Anti-Seize compound if u want to prevent seizing.

The plugs should be tightened according to recommended factory spec.  If you follow this, you actually no need anti seize also, assuming u change them every 30 to 40k km max.  of cos if u change the plugs once in 5 years, sure kena stuck inside due to corrosion.

Edited by Ahbengdriver

Then this mechanic is another  [smash] .  More like they dunno what is the recommended pressure for your car so pump more is safer kind of approach.  Total rubbish.

The correct pressure(check your B pillar sticker) should ensure your tyre sits properly and have the right amount of road contact. And this is important.  

do your existing tyres have the same load index as the OE tyres that came with the car? in addition, the softness or stiffness of the sidewall does play a part in determining the correct air pressure.

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/1301436-an-interesting-article-on-air-pressure-load-index/

Twincharged

They usually overpressure when mounting to seat the beads. But once the beads are seated they should reduce the pressure to normal. But they are usually too lazy to bother. Some of the better shops like south east tyre do it though.

Twincharged

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/blog.amsoil.com/is-an-engine-flush-good-or-bad/amp/

Always look at both sides of the argument...

Maybe the conclusion in this article is engine flush only for regular upkeep of engine but not for very old engines with old seals?

Hard to conclude either way, but maybe reduce frequency of doing it as well?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1