Germany: Self Drive Road Trip from Frankfurt to Munich

Animian

Anyone try driving from frankfurt to munich via romantic road or vice versa

any recommendation of agency where i can book these package?

Need advice urgently as hubby flying off on sat and thinking of joining him in frankfurt for a self drive road trip

thanks in advance

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

:wub:

Need advice urgently as hubby flying off on sat and thinking of joining him in frankfurt for a self drive road trip

thanks in advance

er.... romantic drive?

I would think it will be a "Fast and Furious" drive...

[laugh]

(edited)

:wub:

er.... romantic drive?

I would think it will be a "Fast and Furious" drive...

[laugh]

[laugh] let's not get into that detail [laugh]

Anyway I dun think so cos 20months old son on board too so will just be a relaxing road trip

Edited by Animian

Neutral Newbie

You can just rent a car at Frankfurt airport when you arrive. Rent a GPS unit as well so you can get around without getting lost. It's left hand drive there and most of the cars on rent are stick (aka manual). And then you can do your own self-drive.

Do note that the rental company usually charges double the expected rental rates up front and then only final settlement upon your return of the rental car.

Neutral Newbie

You can just rent a car at Frankfurt airport when you arrive. Rent a GPS unit as well so you can get around without getting lost. It's left hand drive there and most of the cars on rent are stick (aka manual). And then you can do your own self-drive.

Do note that the rental company usually charges double the expected rental rates up front and then only final settlement upon your return of the rental car.

I did this route, castle and romantic route 2 yrs back, sept autumn, frankfurt, up to prague..

nice..

esp love Mainz near frankfurt where u see all the castles by the river

Neutral Newbie

thanks in advance

Frankfurt to Munich? Only Autobahn comes into my mind. It will take less than 4 hours .Romantic ? I'm not sure.

I did this route, castle and romantic route 2 yrs back, sept autumn, frankfurt, up to prague..

nice..

esp love Mainz near frankfurt where u see all the castles by the river

did you guys book the accomodation along romoantic route in advance >

thanks in advance

Did few self drive trips in Europe, covering several major cities in Western Europe. From my experience, rental from Germany, and in particular AVIS, is the cheapest. Do have your IDP ready.

The Romantik road is a nice drive covering some 330 km starting from Warzburg to Fussen if my memory serves me right. But I dun think u need to cover the entire stretch. Detour to Black Forest and try their cake. It is wonderful.

For stay, I suggest u explore B&B. I like the home feel. Google for the list. B&B is quite established for the southern part of Europe.

Enjoy.

Hypersonic

with a 20 month old kid,

you can rest assured that

the trip will not be a romantic one.

:D

Did few self drive trips in Europe, covering several major cities in Western Europe. From my experience, rental from Germany, and in particular AVIS, is the cheapest. Do have your IDP ready.

The Romantik road is a nice drive covering some 330 km starting from Warzburg to Fussen if my memory serves me right. But I dun think u need to cover the entire stretch. Detour to Black Forest and try their cake. It is wonderful.

For stay, I suggest u explore B&B. I like the home feel. Google for the list. B&B is quite established for the southern part of Europe.

Enjoy.

thanks... due to lack of time .. we have already booked our 7days self drive package with one of the local agency...

Package include Car rental and B&B accommodation and admission fee for attraction along romantic route

count down to the trip... :wub: if all goes well ...next time will plan way in advance and comb other area .. eg czech republic ...austria etc [laugh] huh? go black forest eat cake ? what is so nice about the cake :D ... let me go google later :P

with a 20 month old kid,

you can rest assured that

the trip will not be a romantic one.

what is romantic har :D

I took train from Frankfurt to Stuttgart since it was a night flight from here. Visited Mercedes-Benz in Sindelfingen for factory tour, then drove from Stuttgart to Lake Constance via the autobahn, then to Fussen for Neushwanstein castle, head North along Romantic route, picking up 7 bottles of Franken white wine. Ended in Wursburg, finally Frankfurt.

Simply wonderful.

I took train from Frankfurt to Stuttgart since it was a night flight from here. Visited Mercedes-Benz in Sindelfingen for factory tour, then drove from Stuttgart to Lake Constance via the autobahn, then to Fussen for Neushwanstein castle, head North along Romantic route, picking up 7 bottles of Franken white wine. Ended in Wursburg, finally Frankfurt.

Simply wonderful.

i tried to arrange a visit to BMW but they say they cant commit due to reasons ... ask me call them to arrange :blink: anyway let's see how it goes ...

count down to road trip... [bounce2]

planning germany self drive trip

fly in munich, fly out frankfurt

here is the suggested itinerary

1. Munich > 2 nights (arrive 6am morning)

2. Salzburg > 1 night

3. Innsbruck > 1 night

4. Hohenschewangau > visit castle

5. Augsburg > 1 night

6. Nordlingen > stopover, may be

7. Rothenburg ob der Tauber > 1 night

8. Wurzburg > 1 night

9. Frankfurt > 1 night + 1 full day (leaving 11pm)

any tips? thanks !

post-7984-0-81968600-1429332761_thumb.png

Edited by Wt_know

I travel to germany for Biz trip a few times.

Just a warning.

On the derestricted autobahns, yes you can go as fast as you want legally (just that you can still be charged if an accident is caused) but there are regular 'roadworks' which causes a bend or choke point on the otherwise perfect 5-6 lane straights. If you are bombing along at 250kph, there is sometimes not much warning (esp if you cant recognise the German warning signs) before that straight 6 lane road turns gets a sudden kink.

thanks bro ... not 250kmph la ... will drive carefully

I travel to germany for Biz trip a few times.

Just a warning.

On the derestricted autobahns, yes you can go as fast as you want legally (just that you can still be charged if an accident is caused) but there are regular 'roadworks' which causes a bend or choke point on the otherwise perfect 5-6 lane straights. If you are bombing along at 250kph, there is sometimes not much warning (esp if you cant recognise the German warning signs) before that straight 6 lane road turns gets a sudden kink.

Germany is not all about Autobann, after a few high speed driving you will get tired of it.

After so many business trip to Germany for the past 14yrs, I am more enjoying driving through the B route through small town or village. You can stop any time there and have a cup of kopi. Which is always more relaxing.

Scenery along the small country road are also always more beautiful.

These are some photos snap when driving along B route...

post-29292-0-41442900-1429579330_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-84521000-1429579351_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-51687900-1429579362_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-11703100-1429579371_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-67136600-1429579382_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-12317100-1429579402_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

yes ... mostly driving B-road [thumbsup]

will test drive a stretch of autobahn for the sake of "been here done that" ... lol

already check out hertz, avis, sixt, europcar ...

all small car like vw polo/golf, bmw 1-series, etc only available in manual ... no AT

for AT car either big sedan like c-class a6 or suv

is it ok to drive "big" car in small town road ... what about parking - see many road side parking?

thanks bro!

Edited by Wt_know

yes ... mostly driving B-road [thumbsup]

will test drive a stretch of autobahn for the sake of "been here done that" ... lol

already check out hertz, avis, sixt, europcar ...

all small car like vw polo/golf, bmw 1-series, etc only available in manual ... no AT

for AT car either big sedan like c-class a6 or suv

is it ok to drive "big" car in small town road ... what about parking - see many road side parking?

thanks bro!

Yes, most rental car in Germany are manual gear. Unless you go for more premium model.

Personally, my prefer model are turbo diesel with 6spd manual. You can't get any this model here.

Even a 1.6L turbo diesel with 6spd manual was so fun to drive. Not those auto model that our AD bring in can compare.

Concerning parking, in big city normally parking are available at shopping mall.

For small town and village, mostly are road side parking. Some may have a bigger car park (can be multi-storey) if it is a popular tourist attraction town.

For road side parking, most are not free during the day and weekday. After parking your car, try to locate for the parking ticket machine near by, buy the ticket and display it on your dash board (like our coupon).

Some of the road side parking are reserve for resident after 6pm. I got a parking fine while parking at night with my company car. There is a sign board but I don't understand. So if you notice the parking lot is along some residents housing, be careful.

On my earlier post last photo, you can actually see the parking ticket machine at the left side of the road in front the black car. The red Opel Corsa on the right is my rental car.

Below are another 2 photo which caught me by surprise on the drive. No specific destination on Sunday drive through B route on Nov, and drove into area with all the snow [thumbsup][thumbsup]

post-29292-0-69917000-1429594452_thumb.jpg

post-29292-0-00752400-1429594462_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tohto
↡ Advertisement