Auto car on neutral gear down slope

Terratoss

A mechanic from TCM said it is not recommended to push the gear to neutral while going down slope because when you shift back to drive mode, the gears wont have enough power to shift back properly?

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Why not, of course not in high speed, wait until the car crose till between 50-60kmh but do not immediately accerate wen switch back to 'D'.

The important point is you don't have engine braking and you may lose control of thecar when any emergency happen.

Edited by KaKiLang

Why not, of course not in high speed, wait until the car crose till between 50-60kmh but do not immediately accerate wen switch back to 'D'.

The important point is you don't have engine braking and you may lose control of thecar when any emergency happen.

Auto car engine brake is minimal, dosen't make much of a difference. My concern now is whether will it damage the gear transmission in the long run..

penny save pound foolish imho, might as well drive manual for that kind of stunt, make more sense.

don't do that just to save petrol, in fact you are burning more fuel!

modern car come with deceleration fuel cut off technology

plug in a scangauge and you will see that you are not using a drop of fuel when you going down slop without hitting on the pedal

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-10863_7-10009562-3.html

My car is a nissan ceifro 230jm year 2005 one. Actually last time I got try before.. hehe.. it did raise my mileage abot 100km. I am just afraid it might hurt the transmission.

share a damn stoopid experience. once at NUH downward carpark long queue. one car out one car in. full house. it was 9am where got car come out tio bo? had been a damn busy week no time pump petrol and not enuf time to pump later, so want to conserve petrol. i tot i bloody genius i switch off engine and just depress brake. whole car roll downwards and i pull handbrake super hard.. end up 1cm away from crashing from car in front... damn scary education about how the brake works with and without power. literal balls shrink.

share a damn stoopid experience. once at NUH downward carpark long queue. one car out one car in. full house. it was 9am where got car come out tio bo? had been a damn busy week no time pump petrol and not enuf time to pump later, so want to conserve petrol. i tot i bloody genius i switch off engine and just depress brake. whole car roll downwards and i pull handbrake super hard.. end up 1cm away from crashing from car in front... damn scary education about how the brake works with and without power. literal balls shrink.

haha.. omg.. you were driving a auto or manual car?

haha.. omg.. you were driving a auto or manual car?

knn... 2 month old auto... never been so shocked when the car took a life of its own....

knn... 2 month old auto... never been so shocked when the car took a life of its own....

Aiyo.. you shouldn't have done it with engine off.. Last time what i did is just put the gear to neutral and let it glide only. Wah seh.. you power lah!

Aiyo.. you shouldn't have done it with engine off.. Last time what i did is just put the gear to neutral and let it glide only. Wah seh.. you power lah!

yah.. tats y i say very scary education.... did i forgot to say there were 5 cars in front of me? if i hit the car in front and domino downwards I tink i die c--k stand... first time 2 month old owner...

yah.. tats y i say very scary education.... did i forgot to say there were 5 cars in front of me? if i hit the car in front and domino downwards I tink i die c--k stand... first time 2 month old owner...

At least now you know you wont die bird stand but you bird scared stiff that day..

Auto car engine brake is minimal, dosen't make much of a difference. My concern now is whether will it damage the gear transmission in the long run..

I have been driving that way for more than 4 yrs and my mileage was 130k. No damage!!! And I had let my car roll on free gear for 7km at above 80to 130 kph a few times.

Maybe in the near future car makers may include this as a feature. Auto disengage of transmission when going down a slope. LOL...

Since now a lot of cars have this function call start/stop to help on FC why not this one? :D

You got a lot more to experience. Dont try anything with cars or people around.

↡ Advertisement