Got fired, can complain to MOM?

Tjkbeluga

Hi guys,

I have a Japanese friend who was hired by a game developer here. She was hired in Feb this year. During the negotiation period, they said will increase her salary by 20% upon confirmation but when the time come they nitpicked on her to justify for not increasing her salary. Nevermind, she stayed on. However, today, zhun zhun last day of July, they fired her on the spot, saying that she violated the work contract by disclosing her salary to other members. Wah, win liao.... Just one or 2 weeks back, they just confirmed her. I suspect that they intend to fire her all along. Just want to wait till last day of the month. The confirmation is just kay kay one. I don't think she should stay on in this shxtty company in any case but is there a redress she can seek? She is on S-pass.

thanks...

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

sad to say, i don't think she has a case to fight.

MOM kinda protect the employee..

myself experience this sometime back, i broke my leg and was given 5 weeks of mc.

however, i know the culture of the company and it was a local chinese company.

i went back to work after 1st week of mc, despite in clutches, however on the day i returned.

i was terminated for no reason, i was pissed and escalate my case to MOM.

however, was declined politely. if i recall correctly, employer do have certain rights to terminate the employee without any valid reason. and if the employee's pay exceed $2.5k and was compensated upon the termination.

MOM would not bring up the case further as they felt the employee is capable of finding another job and was even compensated. hence, case closed.

well, life is unfair.. -_-

ask for evidence why she got sacked. work performance issue? ask for emails and written evidence

and also did she really revealed salary to colleagues? is there a clause wwhich says salary cant b revealed. knn if they want play dirty play with them also.

at least u find out the truth. yr fren should not accept termination until truth are reaal

Hi guys,

I have a Japanese friend who was hired by a game developer here. She was hired in Feb this year. During the negotiation period, they said will increase her salary by 20% upon confirmation but when the time come they nitpicked on her to justify for not increasing her salary. Nevermind, she stayed on. However, today, zhun zhun last day of July, they fired her on the spot, saying that she violated the work contract by disclosing her salary to other members. Wah, win liao.... Just one or 2 weeks back, they just confirmed her. I suspect that they intend to fire her all along. Just want to wait till last day of the month. The confirmation is just kay kay one. I don't think she should stay on in this shxtty company in any case but is there a redress she can seek? She is on S-pass.

thanks...

If I read correctly, what the company may be trying to do is to try to use cheap contract work, to pay lower rates to get something done, then dismissed her.

Have she done any significant productive work for the company, that coulds be used against the employer.

But its hard to fight the case, & our MOM isn't known to be in pro employee when tackling such issues, this and our poor labor laws (or just lack of it). I won't be surprise that they just ask her to settle privately or look the favorite, for a lawyer.

employees can give last minute 24 hrs notice resignation, and pay back company pay-in-lieu

companies can do likewise....24hrs notice

sad to say, i don't think she has a case to fight.

MOM kinda protect the employee..

myself experience this sometime back, i broke my leg and was given 5 weeks of mc.

however, i know the culture of the company and it was a local chinese company.

i went back to work after 1st week of mc, despite in clutches, however on the day i returned.

i was terminated for no reason, i was pissed and escalate my case to MOM.

however, was declined politely. if i recall correctly, employer do have certain rights to terminate the employee without any valid reason. and if the employee's pay exceed $2.5k and was compensated upon the termination.

MOM would not bring up the case further as they felt the employee is capable of finding another job and was even compensated. hence, case closed.

well, life is unfair.. -_-

I think you mean employer.

I had 2 weeks of MC for fracture ankle, but no issue at all. People here also periodically took 2-3 week leaves, no issue at all.

"employer do have certain rights to terminate the employee without any valid reason. "....wo liao, first world country.....The sentence feel wrong in so many ways.

Anyway, our consumer & Labor laws, & Human rights for that matters, have always been lacking. In my opinion, only our infrastucture & economy ( & our Minister pay of course) are considered first world, alot of other thinsg are embassingly lacking or poor, heathcare, ethnics, coutesy, our public toilets etc!

Even communist China have some form of pension system.

Her starting pay is 3.5K and upon confirmation, get 4K. No one forced them to give such pay. They offer one.... Now think too high... WTF. Company from outside looks big but internally macam family biz... Haiz. Wife is HR manager. She said not happy with her performance because she is looking purely by the number of email she should reply. She is in cust support team by the way. I find such reason for unhappy with her performance ridiculous. What crap need to see high amount of reply means good worker. So long as she is able to reply all the email is good enough right? Also, high email means their game has a lot of problem. They should be more happy that less email is received or replied....

Turbocharged

Hi guys,

thanks...

no use one, MOM is pro employer.

Didn't know Japanese get paid so low. I'm assuming she uprooted from Japan for this job

see lah, japanese girl only, you quickly come liao!

muayhahahaha

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

there are 2 possible reasons kanna terminated 1) performance not up to par 2) some attitude problem or something that people dislike about her. dont waste time with MOM they will not entertain you and they will refer you to the letter of employment contract terms and conditions and if your salary is above 2.5K per month private settlement.

whether she reveal her salary or not is not important, as managment want to get rid of you, there are many things to dig out unless she is protected by ntuc union where there is a protocol or procedure cannot anyhow terminate employee. move on and look for other jobs.

Edited by Macrotrust

Didn't know Japanese get paid so low. I'm assuming she uprooted from Japan for this job

SG overall package is not bad compare to Japan... coz SG got CPF. I know I know, money can't take out but it's still kinda your money. Japan has 2 tax, income tax and municiple tax that is siong.... Also, living expenses is high...

there are 2 possible reasons kanna terminated 1) performance not up to par 2) some attitude problem or something that people dislike about her. dont waste time with MOM they will not entertain you and they will refer you to the letter of employment contract terms and conditions and if your salary is above 2.5K per month private settlement.

whether she reveal her salary or not is not important, as managment want to get rid of you, there are many things to dig out unless she is protected by ntuc union where there is a protocol or procedure cannot anyhow terminate employee. move on and look for other jobs.

Yes I agree.... Not seeking to go back but just don't want the company to get away so easily....

Indeed, they are not happy with her for 2 reasons

1) Expect her to stay back till at least until 8 even when her job is done

2) Expect her to dress professionally but in actual fact, she is just backend support member.

Just called her to check. Although she was asked to leave immediately, she gets paid 1 extra month. Not too bad....

Supersonic
(edited)

Yes I agree.... Not seeking to go back but just don't want the company to get away so easily....

Indeed, they are not happy with her for 2 reasons

1) Expect her to stay back till at least until 8 even when her job is done

2) Expect her to dress professionally but in actual fact, she is just backend support member.

2) Just because the customer doesn't see her doesn't mean she doesn't need to dress professionally. Can you describe the type of dressing that they are unhappy with?

A company will not terminate an employee if they are contributing positively to the company. Seems quite obvious that your friend doesn't fit into the company's culture so why waste both party's time?

Edited by Kusje

Yep, in SG there is literally little protection for employees. Even pregnant women do get fired for no reason and MOM doesn't want to help them.

↡ Advertisement