Search
Sticky dashboard

• Search this thread
29 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

Xmark
  • Xmark
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I notice whenever I park my 5 year old car under hot sun, the dashboard plastic will become very sticky, like a layer of candy coated onto dashboard.
Anyone here having the same experience? How and where to fix the problem.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Torquemonster
  • Premium member
    Torquemonster
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Yes, i am having the same problem too on my corolla axio. Doesn't seem to be the heat that's making the dash sticky, cause even in the shades the dash is sticky. The soft touch material on the dash seems to be the problem. My friend's vios hard plastic dash does not have this problem. i have read in other forum that the lexus IS250 seems to have this problem too.

Edited by Torquemonster, 04 August 2012 - 09:36 AM.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

Lattesurf
  • Premium member
    Lattesurf
    2nd Gear

My Bravo has the same problem. UV and heat has degraded the rubber coating. Nothing much you can do except change it or leave it alone.
Heard that using alcohol to gently dab on it will dry up the rubber and makes it less sticky.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

Warthog
  • Premium member
    Warthog
    2nd Gear

If it is already sticky, means the damage is done.

1) Replace with new (expensive option);
2) Either overlap with dashboard cover, stickers and if damaged is not too severe, consider a good windscreen solar film;
3) There are some also plastic restorers out there, you can check them out. I know there is one at autobayKaki bukit and bukit merah opposite queensway shopping centre.
Slow Keep Left. Fast Centre. Don't Know, Don't Drive.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Blue850r
  • Blue850r
    4th Gear

Hey Guys,

Easy to solve this problem. Buy a can of 3M adhesive cleaner. It will clean out the sticky stuff and it will not come back again.

You must have patience to work on small section by section. I have done many of these stuff including home plastic ware. wink.gif

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Chucky2007
  • Premium member
    Chucky2007
    6th Gear

Just wonder if u placed gotten any solar film on yr windscreen before?

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Blue850r
  • Blue850r
    4th Gear

Solar film even have also same la. Some of these sticky stuff comes from under dash area where the sun don't shine.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Sga54g
  • Premium member
    Sga54g
    4th Gear

Hey Guys,

Easy to solve this problem. Buy a can of 3M adhesive cleaner. It will clean out the sticky stuff and it will not come back again.

You must have patience to work on small section by section. I have done many of these stuff including home plastic ware. wink.gif

Sounds like a great idea! thumbsup.gif

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

Chucky2007
  • Premium member
    Chucky2007
    6th Gear

Solar film even have also same la. Some of these sticky stuff comes from under dash area where the sun don't shine.

Sounds like disintegration of the plastic? Will it be harmful to health?

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

Donut
  • Premium member
    Donut

Think it's not so much from the sun uv or heat

At home, if your furniture is PVC, u will have the same problem over time.

It's the degradation of the material
"Is it possible to pursue happiness if the pursuit itself does not make you happy?"
From book titled "I move Your Cheese" by Deepak Malhotra

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

Eyke
  • Premium member
    Eyke
    6th Gear

Sounds like disintegration of the plastic? Will it be harmful to health?

as long as u dun lick it... laugh.gif

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

Maddriver
  • Premium member
    Maddriver
    Sponsor

Guys...once awhile apply some vinyl conditioner.. If u park your car outdoor most of the items..try to apply 2 weeks once..personally i have quite a number of customer coming to me for product to repair the problem..various make and brands. Not only dashboard..dr panels as well..the only way now is to keep layering conditioner..sames goes for leather..
Website Duragloss Car Care products
Website Optimum Car Care products

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

Xmark
  • Xmark
    2nd Gear

Do you remove the sticky stuff before applying the conditioner? What cleaning product you are using?

Edited by Xmark, 05 August 2012 - 08:07 AM.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

Panthera
  • Panthera
    2nd Gear

wrap with carbon vinyl/ leather lo. easy and look nice.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

Arixlim
  • Arixlim
    Banned

do u use the amour coat spray..the last time $16 now abt half price...restore plastic and conditioner...i use it to my car seat..smooth..unlike pledge spray..harden the seat and can cause leather crack...synthetic leather i dunno..la..mine is synthetic inside outside leather...technologly interesting now..can make this seats haha...i looking at new car bucket seats...or luxury seats , can help? pm me..thanks, any others for friendly chats also can

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

Arixlim
  • Arixlim
    Banned

do u use the amour coat spray..the last time $16 now abt half price...restore plastic and conditioner...i use it to my car seat..smooth..unlike pledge spray..harden the seat and can cause leather crack...synthetic leather i dunno..la..mine is synthetic inside outside leather...technologly interesting now..can make this seats haha...i looking at new car bucket seats...or luxury seats , can help? pm me..thanks, any others for friendly chats also can

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

Sktan10
  • Sktan10
    3rd Gear

I think in long term hard plastic is better.Easily to maintain.Dont have these sticky problem.
But i think most people prefer soft plastic than hard plastic as i always heard of. happy.gif

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed

In my previous old car, it didn't happen on the dash board. The sticky part was on the steering wheel and gear knob.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Maddriver
  • Premium member
    Maddriver
    Sponsor

Do you remove the sticky stuff before applying the conditioner? What cleaning product you are using?

Xmark bro..use a apc to wipe clean then apply conditioner.
Website Duragloss Car Care products
Website Optimum Car Care products

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Donut
  • Premium member
    Donut

since its long holiday, I decided to do something to my home pvc chair that has the sticky problem.

tried rubbing some cooking oil with cloth on the problem area and it WORKS!
"Is it possible to pursue happiness if the pursuit itself does not make you happy?"
From book titled "I move Your Cheese" by Deepak Malhotra

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top
SgCarMart Quotz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users