Sticky dashboard

Xmark

I notice whenever I park my 5 year old car under hot sun, the dashboard plastic will become very sticky, like a layer of candy coated onto dashboard.

Anyone here having the same experience? How and where to fix the problem.

↡ Advertisement

Yes, i am having the same problem too on my corolla axio. Doesn't seem to be the heat that's making the dash sticky, cause even in the shades the dash is sticky. The soft touch material on the dash seems to be the problem. My friend's vios hard plastic dash does not have this problem. i have read in other forum that the lexus IS250 seems to have this problem too.

Edited by Torquemonster

Neutral Newbie

My Bravo has the same problem. UV and heat has degraded the rubber coating. Nothing much you can do except change it or leave it alone.

Heard that using alcohol to gently dab on it will dry up the rubber and makes it less sticky.

If it is already sticky, means the damage is done.

1) Replace with new (expensive option);

2) Either overlap with dashboard cover, stickers and if damaged is not too severe, consider a good windscreen solar film;

3) There are some also plastic restorers out there, you can check them out. I know there is one at autobay@kaki bukit and bukit merah opposite queensway shopping centre.

Hey Guys,

Easy to solve this problem. Buy a can of 3M adhesive cleaner. It will clean out the sticky stuff and it will not come back again.

You must have patience to work on small section by section. I have done many of these stuff including home plastic ware. [;)]

Hey Guys,

Easy to solve this problem. Buy a can of 3M adhesive cleaner. It will clean out the sticky stuff and it will not come back again.

You must have patience to work on small section by section. I have done many of these stuff including home plastic ware. [;)]

Sounds like a great idea! [thumbsup]

Solar film even have also same la. Some of these sticky stuff comes from under dash area where the sun don't shine.

Sounds like disintegration of the plastic? Will it be harmful to health?

Supercharged

Solar film even have also same la. Some of these sticky stuff comes from under dash area where the sun don't shine.

Think it's not so much from the sun uv or heat

At home, if your furniture is PVC, u will have the same problem over time.

It's the degradation of the material

Supercharged

Sounds like disintegration of the plastic? Will it be harmful to health?

as long as u dun lick it... [laugh]

Guys...once awhile apply some vinyl conditioner.. If u park your car outdoor most of the items..try to apply 2 weeks once..personally i have quite a number of customer coming to me for product to repair the problem..various make and brands. Not only dashboard..dr panels as well..the only way now is to keep layering conditioner..sames goes for leather..

(edited)

Do you remove the sticky stuff before applying the conditioner? What cleaning product you are using?

Edited by Xmark

do u use the amour coat spray..the last time $16 now abt half price...restore plastic and conditioner...i use it to my car seat..smooth..unlike pledge spray..harden the seat and can cause leather crack...synthetic leather i dunno..la..mine is synthetic inside outside leather...technologly interesting now..can make this seats haha...i looking at new car bucket seats...or luxury seats , can help? pm me..thanks, any others for friendly chats also can

do u use the amour coat spray..the last time $16 now abt half price...restore plastic and conditioner...i use it to my car seat..smooth..unlike pledge spray..harden the seat and can cause leather crack...synthetic leather i dunno..la..mine is synthetic inside outside leather...technologly interesting now..can make this seats haha...i looking at new car bucket seats...or luxury seats , can help? pm me..thanks, any others for friendly chats also can

I think in long term hard plastic is better.Easily to maintain.Dont have these sticky problem.

But i think most people prefer soft plastic than hard plastic as i always heard of. ^_^

Turbocharged

In my previous old car, it didn't happen on the dash board. The sticky part was on the steering wheel and gear knob.

↡ Advertisement