Malaysian teen wins bronze in diving

Johorat

quite amazing.

Well the chinese will just do a few more thousand dives and probably win the olympic again haha.

Malaysian girl wins Gold at the World Championships 10m platform event beating the Olympic Chinese champion and Korean defending champion in the process [thumbsup]

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/diving-malaysia-pips-china-in-10m-platform-for-historic-gold-9046748

BUDAPEST: Cheong Jun Hoong won Malaysia's first ever diving gold medal at the aquatics world championships in Budapest on Wednesday (Jul 19) in the women's 10 metre platform event.

"My god, I'm a world champion!" said Cheong who came first with 397.50 points. "I hoped for a medal, but I didn't think I could beat the Chinese divers," she said.

China's Si Yajie took silver just behind the Malaysian with 396.00 points. "Cheong's win is a little surprise for me, but I congratulate her," she said.

Si's compatriot and reigning Olympic champion Ren Qian, who won silver in the event in 2015, took bronze (391.95).

Chinese divers have long dominated this event at world championships, winning 22 medals, 16 more than any other country.

Kim Kuk Hyang of North Korea, who won gold in 2015, came fourth with 388.55.

↡ Advertisement

quite amazing.

Well the chinese will just do a few more thousand dives and probably win the olympic again haha.

Haha ya n the Chinese girls who lost will be pushed beyond the max!!

Malaysian divers are World Class so got to give them credit on a sport which is dominated by the Chinese and previously the Western divers and they got quite a few girls of this standard [thumbsup]

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
(edited)

Haha ya n the Chinese girls who lost will be pushed beyond the max!!

Malaysian divers are World Class so got to give them credit on a sport which is dominated by the Chinese and previously the Western divers and they got quite a few girls of this standard [thumbsup]

they got a few sports they're world class at...

badminton, hockey, track cycling and squash.

In fact their hockey team just qualified for the world cup, beating india in the qualifiers.

So near (to us) yet (standard) so far.

Edited by Karoon

they got a few sports they're world class at...

badminton, hockey, track cycling and squash.

In fact their hockey team just qualified for the world cup, beating india in the qualifiers.

So near (to us) yet (standard) so far.

Yes that's true. Badminton, hockey and squash they were traditionally very strong.

Diving comes as a surprise to me though you could already tell few years back that they were going places. It's a significant achievement against those Chinese divers who dive say a hundred times daily to get their perfection and mind you for the Chinese, it's a regiment there n perhaps a way out of poverty but for the Malaysians, distractions could derail them so it's really a credit to them being able to beat the very formidable Chinese!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5