Flat owner takes HDB to court

Jman888

(edited)

All demand and supply are subject to free market forces in a regulated market mah...

ok i change the regulated to CONTROLLED market here, mean got money also cannot buy [laugh] [laugh]

Edited by Jman888
↡ Advertisement

5 There also have been cases of flat owners who try to circumvent HDB’s rules by locking up one room and subletting the rest of the flat without physically staying in the flat. Such cases will be treated as unauthorized subletting of flats if home owners did not meet the minimum occupation period and did not seek HDB's approval to sublet their flats.

quite clear lah.. from HDB website.

anyway, whatever excuse he gives be it stay near parents look after children etc, main point is he DOES NOT need the house and is contributing to the shortage of houses here and driving up rental and resale prices.

Edited by Ruriimasu

alot of ppl probably balls shrink liao upon hearing this news

you go to those old 3 room flats in whatever parts of singapore.... many are whole flat rented out kind...

you think they got apply for special permission from HDB?

mostly is on paper rent 1 room... but you get the whole flat... of course it comes at a special price too...

you need rental flat, so you keep quiet... owner need money, so owner keep quiet too.

if HDB wants to catch.. i think 56 man years also cannot finish catching including those who own private properties / overseas properties

you go to those old 3 room flats in whatever parts of singapore.... many are whole flat rented out kind...

mostly is on paper rent 1 room... but you get the whole flat... of course it comes at a special price too...

you need rental flat, so you keep quiet... owner need money, so owner keep quiet too.

if HDB wants to catch.. i think 56 man years also cannot finish catching including those who own private properties / overseas properties

of cos its not owner or tenant complain la

its neighbours complain.

and after MOP, can rent

but must declare...

income tax.....

tax free things are hard to come by in this world..

unless everyone runs a "gong xi" fa cai association

money will keep them living together in harmony [laugh] [laugh]

Imagine the parents will start wanting a share of the rental collected from the other unit since by allowing the married couple to stay in their flat allowed them to earn that extra cash in the first place. Even if they pay their parents, say $700 for the room that they staying but they collecting $2k from the flat they renting out so they still "make" $1,300....the parents might want part of that too....

But if the person buy from open market without any govt subsisdy and pay full valuation + COV and take loan from bank then how?

it doesn't matter. if this fella wanna play landlord, buy pte. otherwise, can somebody pls remind him that legally he's a lessee and hdb is the landlord.

Supercharged

Where got so easy to sue HDB! They have enough proof and so took action to repossess the flat.

That time some PR didn't declare their overseas property when buying HDB flats, thinking HDB has no way to check... but they were all wrong!

If want to rent out flat, can apply for permit. Why need to lock one room? Scare IRAS tax huh?

HDB flats are meant for owner-occupation. Flat owners who wish to sublet their flat must fulfill the Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) for subletting. They must also obtain HDB's approval to sublet the flat. They can submit the application online at www.hdb.gov.sg/subletting.

Unauthorised subletting of flat is an infringement of the lease. HDB takes a serious view of such infringement and will not hesitate to take strong action against those who flout the rules. Unauthorised subletting of flat includes instances where owners sublet one or more bedrooms while they do not live in the flat during the period of subletting. Instead, they keep one room locked and come back only occasionally. HDB can repossess the flat of those who commit such infringements. In lieu of this action, HDB may impose a penalty against them.

Enforcement Action By HDB

HDB carries out targeted investigations on suspected cases of unauthorised subletting. If the infringement of unauthorised subletting is established, action will be taken against the flat owners concerned. In 2011, HDB took action against 56 flat owners who committed the infringement. The action includes imposition of a penalty and repossession of flats.

Provide Feedback on Unauthorised Subletting of Flat

To help prevent abuse of public housing, residents are encouraged to call our Toll-Free Hotline No. 1800-5556370 to provide feedback on any suspected cases of unauthorised subletting of flat. The Hotline is available Mondays to Fridays, 8am to 5pm. Residents can be assured that any information provided will be treated with the strictest confidence.

Last Updated on 11 Jul 2012

Source: HDB website

I read the bold and I wonder if the update was in any part carry out after the incident. If so, then it will not be right. It is HDB's responsibility to convey all its terms and conditions for subletting when giving their approval and for the owner to look at the terms and conditions. It cannot suka suka change the terms and expect owners to read up their website constantly... This one good show lah... [laugh]

is it? oh i thought he evicted. as the case against him as illegal sublet is not weak. everyone knows about the locked room loophole.

That's the misconception most people have about the compulsory acquisition of flats which are illegally let out.

Most people think it is "cheong kong" or confiscated, but it is actually acquired according to perceived market value by HDB, that is why every now and then you see on HDB they have got small pockets of flats to sell.

If I am not wrong, some are because of this compulsory acquisition, some are folks who passed away with no kin etc...

why didnt he just ask mommy and daddy move into his flat and rent out theirs. They probably meet the MOP and whats more his flat is a five room.

He only has himself to blame.

Edited by Mightymito

probably just the valuation without COV part.

HDB transaction is always about COV, one will sure go crazy having it forfeited.

why didnt he just ask mommy and daddy move into his flat and rent out theirs. They probably meet the MOP and whats more his flat is a five room.

He only has himself to blame.

Actually alot of new flats also got ppl rent out...but wonder why HDB never go catch..there are also alot of PRs who will stay within the flat and rent out every corners of the flat...why like that can meh? sometimes I find HDB beri funny...their rules can be neither here nor there... if sublet out but I use a room as my office can or cannot? If I fly around and back to my home only 1-2 times a mth, this one consider subletting whole hse? Policy very vague makes ppl guess or find loopholes...I can only say HDB has itself to blame for not keeping up with the changing trend...instead focus only on $$$.

i share your view and that's why i think HDB also blame-able although the mr chew is worse.

mr chew for trying to exploit loopholes and even though kena penalised for it, still want to take legal action.

hdb for their not so logical rules and very lax and sporadic enforcements.

Agreed.HDB usually gives out warning.If the owner continue to ignore the warnings,HDB will use the last resort,

But the HDB feels that the court does not have the power to review its decision and that it can compulsorily acquire a flat that has been illegally rented out.

WOW... HDB above the LAW ?

be a good citizen, plse report known cases.

Actually alot of new flats also got ppl rent out...but wonder why HDB never go catch..there are also alot of PRs who will stay within the flat and rent out every corners of the flat...why like that can meh? sometimes I find HDB beri funny...their rules can be neither here nor there... if sublet out but I use a room as my office can or cannot? If I fly around and back to my home only 1-2 times a mth, this one consider subletting whole hse? Policy very vague makes ppl guess or find loopholes...I can only say HDB has itself to blame for not keeping up with the changing trend...instead focus only on $$$.

that's why i say, instead of allowing people to sublet out or rent out whole flat, hdb should just go back to the basics and take out all these provision for leesees to make money. then the objective hdb flat is meant for affordable housing for masses can be achieved.

once you allow people to make money out of hdb flat, the rental yield will justify their paying high price for it.

that's why i say, instead of allowing people to sublet out or rent out whole flat, hdb should just go back to the basics and take out all these provision for leesees to make money. then the objective hdb flat is meant for affordable housing for masses can be achieved.

once you allow people to make money out of hdb flat, the rental yield will justify their paying high price for it.

Once they started they cannot stop..it's like drugs...need more and more... [shakehead] need to beef up the reserves...

Turbocharged

yes land cost...

left pocket right pocket theory

land cost high

thus cost of construction high

raw material high (can believe)

land is sold by SLA !

To us... end of the day same wallet..... but to them..... diff wallet.... [laugh] ..... SLA no equal to HDB (MIW).... so this simi lj land cost..... is the variable cost... that's why wanna get the actual cost....

Ya, lim peh built the house at 50K, I sell hse to you at 200K... lim peh still lost $$$, becuase the CB SLA sell the land like sell gold bar, sold to me at $300K.... we also LL suck thumb.... [laugh]

↡ Advertisement