Should we stop regroovable tyre?

Passion

As per topic. Any one want to share their view? Personally, I witness one lorry tire burst in front of me this morning. The lorry just serve to the left and enter road shoulder. Down the road, another poor regroove tyre lying on the road. Is the standard of regroove tyre bad or we shouldn't even looking at regrooving tyres?

↡ Advertisement

As per topic. Any one want to share their view? Personally, I witness one lorry tire burst in front of me this morning. The lorry just serve to the left and enter road shoulder. Down the road, another poor regroove tyre lying on the road. Is the standard of regroove tyre bad or we shouldn't even looking at regrooving tyres?

I think this type of tyres can be regrooved. See tyre wall. But, the problem is there's a limit and most kiam kana bosses want to save costs, they do it to the extreme.

I am not too sure of pasting on some rubber on top is called re-groove. I thought should be cutting the groove deeper on the original tyre itself???

Actually it's re-grooving that cause the problem or re-wrapping? Or there are not such thing as re-wrapping?

Even if you can stop Singapore side, you won't be able to stop the Msia side from doing so, it's much more economical for them to do so over at their side.

Wow, i didn't even know there was such a thing but i did notice everytime i see remains of tyres on the road, its is always those big big tyres. I always tot it was just businesses trying to cut cost so don't bother to change tyres until they give way. So i thought all the while it is just negligence. But now that i now it is actually intentional then definitely should be outlawed as it is a obvious threat to the safety of other road users (especially those riding bikes).

Frankly how to you know the tyre is re-grooved. Many buses/truck and heavy duty tyres are designed for regrooving - using specially designed electric powered cutters or machines.

You must be joking :D - how to cut the tyre casing with a penknife ( you may have witness the cutting back in the early 60s. Even with the electric heated v groove cutter an operator will still need years of practice to do it right !!

Neutral Newbie

Think it's quite common for large vehicles with large tyres. Change new tyres probably costs a few hundred to a thousand bucks each, regroove probably about 30-50% of a new tyre cost.

http://www.michelintransport.com/ple/front...640&lang=EN

For those who dunno what is it about can see the above video link.

I think regrooving is better in wet conditions. Imagine for such a heavy vehicle to have no traction on a wet day is pretty scary. It's not cheap to change such a big size tire, you can't say bosses are stingy when you are not the one paying for the tire change.

Edited by Watwheels

With good vehicle COE so high & operating cost, every companies wants to save money, so invest in re-thread tyres..... -_-

From my observation, only SBS doesn't re-groove their tires, I believe they sell it to those re-groover.

Seen trailers traveling at over 100 kph at NSHW encountering burst tyre, first sign of them giving way is the super loud sound dom dom dom dom, then follow by smoke and shredder rubbers come flying everywhere into the sky.

Just beware when u hear those sound and look out for it.

For those huge lorry tyres, its regroovable.. its even stated "regroovable" of the side wall.

Those tyres thickness are centimetres thick.. it will be very unsafe for the grooves to be a few centimetres thick as well then structurally its not sound.

The issues with burst tyres are mainly due to super underinflated tyres.. go notice a lot of truck having tyres are seriously bulg out at the side

Beside regrooving, transport companies and owners of heavy heavy vehicles generally send their tyres for retreading if the tyre casings are still in good working order. Normally after the the second retreading the used tyres are disposed off.

There are two method of tyre retreading - a) a hot process widely used in Europe and most of the processing equipments comes from Italy and the other is cold process popular in US.

Tyre retreading is a capital intensive investment and special skills are required from tyre inspections to buffing and tyre moulding.

Most of the tyres are uninflated and subjected to overload and over use. Hardly you can come across buses/truck drivers own a tyre pressure gauge let alone check the air pressure.

post-272-1345001458_thumb.jpg

I saw a mechanic openly regroove a on used tyre using a penknife.

dude u must be kidding right....using a penknife....where to buy such a strong powerful penknife, let me know pls

↡ Advertisement