Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
75 replies to this topic | 26 praises

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Lazydala
  • Lazydala
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi Guys,

I find Astra GTC is quite funky and energetic but Golf 1.4 TSI is popular among buyers.
Under the boot, GTC churns out less 20 horeses than its counterpart Golf 1.4 TSI.
There are quite a number of Golfs on the road but find that Astra GTC is hard to spot on.

What are your opinions on these 2 cars?
Would like to hear pros and cons from serious ownership's view.

Opel_Astra_GTC_2012_.jpg Volkswagen_Golf.jpg

Edited by Lazydala, 17 August 2012 - 12:07 PM.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

Kar_lover
  • Premium member
    Kar_lover
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi Guys,

I find Astra GTC is quite funky and energetic but Golf 1.4 TSI is popular among buyers.
Under the boot, GTC churns out less 20 horeses than its counterpart Golf 1.4 TSI.
There are quite a number of Golfs on the road but find that Astra GTC is hard to spot on.

What are your opinions on these 2 cars?
Would like to hear pros and cons from serious ownership's view.

Between these 2, definitely Astra....Golf is more expensive + boring design + common (as what you said) + gearbox problem. Although Astra less powerful and less torque, it may not affect you much unless you want to drive like backside on fire :) i am a bit concerned by the stock 20" rims though....

Or maybe you can consider Hyundai Veloster Turbo, nice design also, more powerful, more torque and yet cheaper than both of the above....

Edited by Kar_lover, 17 August 2012 - 01:12 PM.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Vios-86
  • Vios-86
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Astra will be a good choice. Stands out among others.. biggrin.gif

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

Kelfinity
  • Premium member
    Kelfinity
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Resale for opel sucks.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

Picanto

Resale for opel sucks.

the VW brand is more popular here. opel seems like a niche maket brand to me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

Observer
  • Premium member
    Observer
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

opel for sure.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Sga54g
  • Premium member
    Sga54g
    4th Gear
    Author Image

For Resale value: Golf
For Good Service Support: Astra
For Looks: Astra
For Driving Feel: Unsure
For now, I will go for Astra! smile.gif

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

GCJ
  • GCJ
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I've a Golf TSI very nice car, great engine, excellent FC, feels "much" car than it supposed to be but be ready for terrible service from Volkswagen and reliability issues with VW cars is not urban legend.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

Pocus
  • Pocus
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

SOrry...OT again:

I heard some horror stories on Opel cars...although most are commercial vehicles but got 1 fren whose dad owned an old Opel and he complained alot, stalled on the roads before..

Anyway the current Opels looks good but I'm only interested in 1 Model

The Opel Corsa OPC! Think local stopped this model liao...

Saw alot of these in UK (They called it Vauxhall Corsa VXR) and they good really good in flesh...

So far I only saw 1 in SG, a blue color one. I also saw it listed before in SGCARMART but cannot find it already.
Only Evidence.
http://www.vxronline...-from-Singapore

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Jtfsl
  • Jtfsl
    Clutched
    Author Image

golf for sure...

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Eyke
  • Premium member
    Eyke
    Supercharged
    Author Image

got 1 fren whose dad owned an old Opel and he complained alot, stalled on the roads before..

and Golf haven't stalled on roads before? laugh.gif

prease google DSG problems sly.gif

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Lazydala
  • Lazydala
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

SOrry...OT again:

I heard some horror stories on Opel cars...although most are commercial vehicles but got 1 fren whose dad owned an old Opel and he complained alot, stalled on the roads before..

Anyway the current Opels looks good but I'm only interested in 1 Model

The Opel Corsa OPC! Think local stopped this model liao...

Saw alot of these in UK (They called it Vauxhall Corsa VXR) and they good really good in flesh...

So far I only saw 1 in SG, a blue color one. I also saw it listed before in SGCARMART but cannot find it already.
Only Evidence.
http://www.vxronline...-from-Singapore

This blue Corsa OPC is a rarity. Looks cute from side view. Ideal for city driving.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

Eugn86
  • Premium member
    Eugn86
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Astra GTC is very very nice, and you must get it with the extra big windscreen!
20" wheels are optional extra. I say don't get it and save the $5K or $8K now... save the weight and enjoy the better performance on stock 17".

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

Pocus
  • Pocus
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

and Golf haven't stalled on roads before? laugh.gif

prease google DSG problems sly.gif

Yup I know...this one so famous dun need to say....just want to highlight Opel also got their fair share of issues...

Edited by Pocus, 17 August 2012 - 03:17 PM.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

Tayspiderx
  • Tayspiderx
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Not sure about Golf, most opel are local leather and rims.

Get a Mito or Giulietta

Used Mito

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

Kar_lover
  • Premium member
    Kar_lover
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Not sure about Golf, most opel are local leather and rims.

Get a Mito or Giulietta

Used Mito

Maybe its just me but i find the interior especially the centre console not nice.....given that we spend a lot of time looking at the inside of the car than outside, interior is very important to me....a nice interior, even in a traffic jam, you feel better and not so agitated/impatient...

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

Xtrah
  • Premium member
    Xtrah
    1st Gear
    Author Image

I'm driving the Astra AH 1.8 for the past 7 years. No stall at all. No big issues. Current mileage is abt 170,000 KM. Can drive till scrap. Only repair the wear and tear parts such as the brake pads, engine belt and water pump, tyres, wipers. Replace one big ticket item that is the air con compressor that cost $500 for a recon set. So far so good. tongue.gif

Don't hear the old rumors abt opel sucks, expensive maintenance and replace parts, stall on roads. Those are the past history dated in the 90s.
Blueray praised this
Model : Cruze 1.4T (2014)

Mods:
Stage 0: 180+HP / 250Nm

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

4rings
  • 4rings
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Golf more popular.
oooo

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

Ttl1976
  • Premium member
    Ttl1976
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Astra gets my vote.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

Wllim1st
  • Wllim1st
    Clutched
    Author Image

Go for a test drive of both to make a choice.

Back to Conti Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Also tagged with these keywords: Golf , Sport , Astra

Tags: Golf, Sport, Astra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users