Heard on the Radio this morning

Calvin79

Was on my way to work and was tuning in to FM93.3...

heard that the government might allow camera phones into military camps soon...

only restricted for sensitive areas in the camp...

good news...no longer have to keep swtiching sim cards liao...

Yeh!!!

↡ Advertisement

Yeh!!!

front page staits times today

Yeh!!!

Yah lor, so no need to remove car camera when entering camp :)

Yeh!!!

Good news...but I forever no need to go into camp liao......out of NS population....you soldiers will protect me during wartime.. [laugh]

In the end the ban does not save non-smart Nokia phones because less pple serve NS than Bangladeshis workers in SG.

It's like to prevent spitting, all citizens got the tongue cut off. [laugh]

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews...817-365899.html

Friday, Aug 17, 2012

SINGAPORE: Camera phones may be used in military camps here after the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) decided to relax its ban.

The Straits Times reported that the SAF had introduced tightened security measures and the changes could start as early as next month.

One of these measures included dividing camps into red and green zones, where camera phones can be used only in the "non-sensitive" green zones, such as bunks, canteens and gyms. "Red" areas will be those containing classified military equipment.

Camera phones will also be banned in camp offices, where sensitive information might be potentially accessed by servicemen.

Currently, only phones without cameras can be taken into military camps, and servicemen often end up carrying two mobile phones - one to use in camp and another to use outside.

Although there have been no official details about the new rules, The Straits Times says it understands an announcement will be made in a few weeks.

The decision to lift the restrictions, which were first put in place in 2007 after photographs of training activities were posted online, is a turnaround for the Ministry of Defence which has been keeping a tight rein on the use of new technology within the camps.

Sources told the paper that the new security measures that have been put in place are similar to those used by the military in the United States. They also said these measures have been tested to make sure they are tight enough to deal with cameras that may pose a high risk.

Senior commanders of the army were notified of the plan in an email last month. They have since been identifying restricted areas and making their camps camera phone-friendly.

The decision to lift the ban showed the military was keeping itself relevant to a tech-savvy generation, said defence analyst Bernard Loo.

"What is important now is that servicemen are being educated on how to use their phones without compromising the operational security of the Singapore Armed Forces," he said.

Life will be easier when he is called in for training, said operationally ready national serviceman Ranjan Indiran, 31.

"Going online, checking work e-mails on the phone is second nature to us," said the lawyer. "It will be so much easier to keep in the loop with the civilian world."

[email protected]

Last time called ROD, now called MR. I think he's more old bird than you. [:p]

He could be......but I'm not exactly young either.... [lipsrsealed][laugh]

Good news...but I forever no need to go into camp liao......out of NS population....you soldiers will protect me during wartime.. [laugh]

"War Time" you will be ACTIVATED as well :)

is it...>40 years old still activated meh?

yes...if really so unfortunate to encounter war in Singapore, people under MR status will also be activated, it is not called MR for nothing, else it would be written as "civilian"...hehehe...

I think the relenting of the policy to allow camera phones into camps is more stupid than banning them, especially on the part where there are zones that a person can and cannot bring... so that person has to bring 2 mobile phones, is it? camera phone in canteen, and non camera phone in office?

cannot bring means cannot bring lah... what's the big fuss?

Edited by Antlau

Priest lah .. war time you think the enemy give you ATT C ?

If is our 'simulated enemies', maybe ATT C/B, those frontline ones will ask for kopi lui. [:p]

Yeh!!!

Great!!!!....

Just as I bought a $58 phone 2 weeks back for current ICT which ended the very same day as this piece of news !!... Duh ...??!!!

↡ Advertisement