Who here listens to Depeche Mode

Phluvcat

how did you get started with depeche mode?

for me, my younger sis brought home the 101 cds and the love affair began. that was in the early 90s.

they were one of the gloomiest, darkest, somewhat monotonous songs I heard then.

at the same time they felt so sensuous (not sexy but sensuous), moving, abstract and stirring, they connect with reality instead of immersing you in fantasies.

eagerly awaiting their next album due in 2013. hope its in the mould of the 101 songs.

(p.s. some of their earlier songs are pussy sounding synthesizer pop though)

↡ Advertisement

I was hooked by the start of their - Strange Love.

It became my hp ringtone. Haha.

There's another song - Someone (I think). A solo effort by the lead singer.

Only these 2 I really liked :D

I was hooked by the start of their - Strange Love.

It became my hp ringtone. Haha.

There's another song - Someone (I think). A solo effort by the lead singer.

Only these 2 I really liked :D

huh only two...I have quite a long list leh...

people are people/ blue dress/ condemnation/ dangerous/ dead of night/

higher love/ never let me down again/ mercy in you/ in your room/

in chains/ i feel you/ i feel love/ policy of truth/ a question of lust/

rush/ somebody/ strangelove/ stripped/ walking in my shoes/ world in my eyes/

yeah these are the songs I can still recall clearly, the rest cant really remember how they song like. somehow for many of their songs, I prefer their live performances as they sound darker, more vulnerable, haunting, dynamic and bombastic. Some of the remixes also nice. The original studio records sound "plainer and softer" after you listen to the live performances (e.g. 101, devotional)

I think you are referring to Somebody. Its not by the lead singer (Dave Gahan), its by Martin Gore.

Depeche Mode - wow, that takes me back. I remember they courted some controversy with "Blasphemous Rumours", which was one of my favourite songs from them back then, because I was into the whole Satan thing.

Oh look, I haven't changed since. [sly]

Nice vid:

Edited by Turboflat4

Depeche Mode - wow, that takes me back. I remember they courted some controversy with "Blasphemous Rumours", which was one of my favourite songs from them back then, because I was into the whole Satan thing.

Oh look, I haven't changed since. [sly]

Nice vid:

back then ya people say they satanic group. anyway DM sings mostly about realities and the pains.

Some Christians in time will question the Father why happens to them when they have done nothing wrong...the reality, the fallibility. They fall, question, recharge and they pick themselves up again, they fall....

One of their member Alan Wilder was a open atheist, so being "democratic", the song probably voice out what a Christian may not dare to air openly.

Anyway just my personal view, most of their songs and lyrics remain open to debate and interpretation.

Hey nice MV!

Pete Burns is one helluva character...... What out here I come!!! U spin me right round baby.....

who listen to Dead or Alive?

The lead singer is now an ugly ah gua

undefined

Martin Gore wrote most of the songs and in fact he has his own EP, one of which is Compulsion.

In the very early days, Vince Clark from Erasure and ex Yazoo (with Alison Moyet) was part of D Mode.

back then ya people say they satanic group. anyway DM sings mostly about realities and the pains.

Some Christians in time will question the Father why happens to them when they have done nothing wrong...the reality, the fallibility. They fall, question, recharge and they pick themselves up again, they fall....

One of their member Alan Wilder was a open atheist, so being "democratic", the song probably voice out what a Christian may not dare to air openly.

Anyway just my personal view, most of their songs and lyrics remain open to debate and interpretation.

Hey nice MV!

For me, it began with a buzz around my group of schoolmates regarding this cassette titled "The Singles 81-85".

Then just nice, SBC Channel 5 somehow, for some reason, showed the MTV of "Shake The Disease" which instantly became my favourite track in part due to the way Andy Fletcher "stroked" the wall of pipes with a metal rod.

And so the journey of discovery began.

"Some Great Reward" was easy enough to find in most cassette shops. "Construction Time Again" and "Speak and Spell" needed the help from Valentine's Record at Parklane to "copy into cassette" for a fee.

As fate would have it, word spread that the super rare and ulu "A Broken Frame" was discovered at a super ulu cassette shop in Coronation Plaza of all places. Needless to say, it was quickly sold off the shelves.

By the time "Black Celebration" and "Music for the Masses" came, DM was firmly established as "mainstream" music at least among my group in both secondary and JC. "Smash Hits" magazines on a certain magazine rack would get sold out whenever there's a DM article or poster contained within.

Just couldn't get enough (pun intended) of weirdies like "Fly on the Windscreen", "Stripped" etc. on bus journeys, lectures and tutorials, together with other classics of the time from The Smiths, The Cure and of course not forgetting my thrash metal/grindcore roots. Some of us perverts (me included) like to listen to the lyrics "let me see you stripped down to the bone ..." on our walkman while staring at some chio girls/teachers [:p]

Martin Gore also released his Counterfeit EP (with a brilliant, brilliant Mother Earth track) around this time which further added to the buzz.

But by the time Strangelove got played 10000000 times on radio, functions etc. I got so sick and tired of it that I never listened to any DM album beyond "Music for the Masses". Thus ended my relationship with DM.

This, then, was my story with DM. [cool]

Edited by Nephilim

Brings me back so many years. Wow! When I was listening to them was in the army, very early 80s.

Stationed overseas, and was at a bar watching their MTV video then. Man...time flies.

I have been a fan of DM for the longest time. DM's songs started to sound darker from the Song of faith and devotion album. [sly] That is also the best IMO amongst all their albums. Personal favourites include In yor room and Walking in my shoes. 101 is the concert version which captures their greatest prior to Violator. And Yes, Enjot the silence is also one of the best tunes i've ever listened to. [thumbsup]

Being a devotee, i was at their devotional tour 20 years back. How time flies... Regreted not being able to afford premium seats back then [smallcry]

↡ Advertisement