Comments on Mazda CX5

Lycanthrope

Message added by kobayashiGT

Give your comments on Mazda CX-5 here!

Thanks Hanjg82 for your sharing.

Is yours the older or newer version? I understand from US mazdas247 forum there is 2013 and 2014 version. Other than the engine options, I think 2014 version has i-stop and the engine cover is black (2013 version has standard blue engine cover for all the different car colours). They also corrected some niggling issues (comon complaints in the forum) like hood and side mirror vibrations. I remember in July when I peeped under the hood of the showcar at Mazda Ubi, the engine cover was black. So I think the version sold here now is the newer version.

Mine is the 2013 version with blue engine cover. Its a 2L. no i-stop. Btw, i-stop is a very irritating feature. My friend's 320i has it. It causes the car to stutter every time u brake and accelerate. Also, he often drives in 'eco mode' (save petrol mah [bigcry] ) which causes the air con to cut off when he stops ! Freaking irritating in hot sg! My wife will kill me if the car has this feature permanently on. [laugh]

The newer ones that Mazda sg is selling are 2.5L petrol, and 2.2L diesel versions. Not sure about engine cover colours though.

I think those older versions are the ones produced before Nov 2012. Mine was produced in Jan 2013, so I guess I didn't kenna.

Anyway, the 2013 2L version is still on sale. Mazda sg has put them under different trims. The 2013 2L versions u buy now should not have those niggling problems. (since mine is Jan 13 and already solved)

Edited by Hanjg82
↡ Advertisement

Mine is the 2013 version with blue engine cover. Its a 2L. no i-stop. Btw, i-stop is a very irritating feature. My friend's 320i has it. It causes the car to stutter every time u brake and accelerate. Also, he often drives in 'eco mode' (save petrol mah [bigcry] ) which causes the air con to cut off when he stops ! Freaking irritating in hot sg! My wife will kill me if the car has this feature permanently on. [laugh]

The newer ones that Mazda sg is selling are 2.5L petrol, and 2.2L diesel versions. Not sure about engine cover colours though.

I think those older versions are the ones produced before Nov 2012. Mine was produced in Jan 2013, so I guess I didn't kenna.

Anyway, the 2013 2L version is still on sale. Mazda sg has put them under different trims. The 2013 2L versions u buy now should not have those niggling problems. (since mine is Jan 13 and already solved)

I agree about the i-stop. I switched it off during test drive. I think alot of people also switch it off permanently. Brothers driving mazda 6 in another thread here also have similar comments.

Thanks for the great review on the CX5! I like this car a lot too but have been holding off due to the high COE (and also because my current ride is barely 3 years old). Anyone knows what's the current selling price and whether Mazda is running any promos?

I agree about the i-stop. I switched it off during test drive. I think alot of people also switch it off permanently. Brothers driving mazda 6 in another thread here also have similar comments.

I never switch off my i-stop,so far i done 5800km,i-stop already stopped for 19hrs,A/C will be still on,when not cold engine will re start itself...i only worried how lasting are the starter.

Neutral Newbie

I was deciding between the civic 2L and Mark X last time. After I've tried the civic, I was pretty disappointed. I thought v-tec confirm is power one. [laugh] The truth is that the 2L version is really stretching the limits of that engine. U really need to put your foot down to squeeze the power out of it. Low end torque was bad coz I test drove it with my wife, and 2 friends (so plus agent is total 5 ppl). The car really got problem moving. I find the 1.8L civic is more worth buying. You pay less road tax and get about the same power (the diff only shows when u do high speed driving). Of course the Mark X totally owns the civic with the V6 [:p] BTW, the 6 speed Super ECT gearbox on the Mark X made its debut in japan in 2004 (10 yrs ago!)

Civic has a pretty light steering but its accurate, though doesn't offer much feedback (same as CRV...) Doesn't offer a very engaging drive. well, its more of a family sedan car anyway. The cx5 has pretty much more than enough power for our sg roads. I've been getting impatient with how slow drivers in sg are getting these days! :angry:

Vtec engines are high revving engines, so really need some open space to extract its really potential. I had an integra sir with B18C engine and manual box, really good car with lots of pulling power when rpm hits 3k n above. Unfortunately, the newer vtec engine has lost some of its vtec characteristics when Honda, together with other manufacturers, decided to go for efficiency rather than outright power. I am driving a Honda stream now and I do wish it comes with more power, especially when I am driving on NSHW.

Vtec engines are high revving engines, so really need some open space to extract its really potential. I had an integra sir with B18C engine and manual box, really good car with lots of pulling power when rpm hits 3k n above. Unfortunately, the newer vtec engine has lost some of its vtec characteristics when Honda, together with other manufacturers, decided to go for efficiency rather than outright power. I am driving a Honda stream now and I do wish it comes with more power, especially when I am driving on NSHW.

For current stop/start sg traffics plus lots jam, good low end torque engines are better appreciated, than engines with high horsepower. This is where all the tsi, twin scroll come into play. An odyssey will be more fun on nshw with its 2.4 vtec. I remember chasing one in nshw years ago, it was really fun. Despite being a bigger MVP, it has much better handling than wish and steam during high speed.

Hi,I am a newbie here... Like to seek some advise from CX5 owners/test drivers. :)

Recently just did a test drive with my brother on CX5. I notice that this i-stop function is significant when taking off after the traffic light turns green. Can feel a shift/step when taking off. I learn from the SE that this i-stop is part of the SkyActiv system. But being stop/start of engine, would it put additional stress to the battery..?

By the way, I test drived a 2.0L CX5 from Ubi Mazda... :)

Thanks...

Additional/unnecessary cranking of the engine requires a lot of battery power....

I don't drive a car with this system but whenever i am in a merz taxi equipped with one. At a traffic light junction with slow moving traffic, the system can go on and off at least 10 to 20 times.... I am sure the battery would be "upsized" to handle this but I wouldn't bet my money on it lasting as long as a car with the system disabled.

These systems are put in place to meet emissions and efficiency requirements.

Thanks for the replies and advise..:)

Just wondering if Anyone bought this car...? Any other things to take note of ..? Thanks..

Thanks for the replies and advise..:)

Just wondering if Anyone bought this car...? Any other things to take note of ..? Thanks..

In this catagory SUV, why did you not consider MIK?

Like Sante Fe, Sorento, Captiva,

performance and equipements are better Mz CX5, price in same range

Thanks for the suggestion... :)

Actually, I am just starting to look at SUV starting with CX5. Will also keep a look out for other MIK SUV, like SantaFe, Tuscon.. Not sure if its me, I do find the design outlook for Hyundai Tuscon rather similar to CX5, at least from the sides.. :)

Sorry just curious... I observed that with the recent new cars launched, there seems to have an increase in the electronic gadgets install in the car. And if the car is being parked in Open CP, wouldnt the electronics gadgets be subjected to faster degradation..? And also, as a driver, do you guys actually utilize all those gadgets that comes with the car..?

Thanks....:)

Thanks for the suggestion... :)

Actually, I am just starting to look at SUV starting with CX5. Will also keep a look out for other MIK SUV, like SantaFe, Tuscon.. Not sure if its me, I do find the design outlook for Hyundai Tuscon rather similar to CX5, at least from the sides.. :)

Sorry just curious... I observed that with the recent new cars launched, there seems to have an increase in the electronic gadgets install in the car. And if the car is being parked in Open CP, wouldnt the electronics gadgets be subjected to faster degradation..? And also, as a driver, do you guys actually utilize all those gadgets that comes with the car..?

Thanks....:)

IMO, those electronics gadgets is not necessary unless is related with safety,

If I buy car, top priority always safety (number of airbags, ABS, TCS etc), following by price then FC, engine performance and handling, exterior look and interior space,

electronics gadgets always are the lowest consideration, good to have but not must have,

for me, rarely utilize those gadgets, and believe they definitely cannot last 10 years in open CP condition

IMO, those electronics gadgets is not necessary unless is related with safety,

If I buy car, top priority always safety (number of airbags, ABS, TCS etc), following by price then FC, engine performance and handling, exterior look and interior space,

electronics gadgets always are the lowest consideration, good to have but not must have,

for me, rarely utilize those gadgets, and believe they definitely cannot last 10 years in open CP condition

Yes, fully agree with your points and thanks for sharing.. :)

Safety is the upmost priority when considering for a ride. Actually, I am getting mainly because of family. Parents getting old, and they have some difficulty in getting in and out of the passenger seat, because they tend to feel "sinking into" the seats. And they also feel the rear passenger door are a bit stiff/heavy to open. My current ride is a M3'10. Hence, the first car brand that comes to my mind is naturally Mazda.. Haha.. Too used to the brand I guess..:D

Supersonic

kia sorento 2.2 crdi.

or Mazda CX5 diesel .......awesome ..

Oh really... Haiz, I should have tried out the diesel version for the CX5.. Not sure how is the stats compare to petrol.. Anyone tested a CX5 diesel...?

Thanks... :)

Hi guys, just like to check if any guys here got a CX-5 ride...? Like to know what's the lead time for this ride...? I went to the showroom on Sat to check out this ride and I was told I will need to wait till July for this ride to arrive. It's like a bit too long to wait for. Any one also met this scenario...?

Thanks...

↡ Advertisement