Teacher vs Parents = Police Report!!

Jman888

Problem with some parent so protective over their kids. School is a place for children to learn not to show off. Is only pri 6 and need a designer haircut. I think he should go to an international school and compete with the rich and famous.

↡ Advertisement

Actually, the teacher should not have cut the boy's hair on PSLE exam day itself. If they wanted to do it, should have done it long before. Or after that particular oral exam, also better.

Now it seems the school principal don't want to back up the teacher. So the teacher acted on own initiative? Kind of hard to believe. I do know that some schools bar students from sitting for exams if they don't comply with rules on the day itself. Example, a student cannot turn up for exams without being in uniform. And these rules probably extend to hairstyles, wearing proper shoes, as well.

If I were the teacher, honestly, I wouldn't have cared. This particular boy will already be on his way out in a couple of weeks, so who cares?

Maybe this teacher cared for students too much, and that caused her downfall. Kind of ironic, when they stress "caring" in teacher training, no??

School diary got state acceptable hair length leh

this is the boy

Look like small Beng that cant really afford the marks deduction.

$60 hair cut for a BOY <_< <_< i eat until so old never had a hair cut so expensive wow!

Mum files police report after teacher cuts boy's hair just before exam

Edvantage | Thu Aug 23 2012

SINGAPORE - One hour before his PSLE oral exam last Thursday, a 12-year-old pupil was hauled into an empty classroom to have his hair cut by his teacher.

The pupil from Unity Primary School in Choa Chu Kang said the teacher, Ms Belinda Cheng, had told him that his hair was too long and if she didn't cut his hair, marks will be deducted from his exam.

Faced with little choice, the pupil agreed, but told The New Paper that he felt "sad and depressed" afterwards. He said two other pupils also had to have their hair cut.

Enraged by the actions of the teacher, his mother, Madam Serene Ong lodged a police report and complained to the Ministry of Education (MOE).

Madam Ong, 39, a sales manager, told The Straits Times: "The teacher had no right to cut his hair...She showed me no respect by not telling me that she was going to cut his hair beforehand," adding that the snip had ruined the boy's $60 haircut.

Madam Ong also worried that the incident may have affected his performance on the exam.

The school's principal, Mrs Jasmail Singh Gill, agreed with Madam Ong that the teacher should not have cut the boy's hair. But, she said the pupil had been given a warning letter and that Ms Cheng had the right intentions.

Madam Ong was unaware that a warning letter had been given as her son had forgotten to show it to her, The New Paper reported.

The notice was dated Aug 14, two days before the exam.

Madam Ong scolded her son for not producing the slip earlier, but added that her son was dyslexic, and they "tend to be forgetful".

However, a teacher and principal whom The New Paper spoke to felt that the timing of the letter was too near to the exam, and the situation should have been dealt with at least a day earlier.

"Ultimately, principals should exercise discretion and have the welfare of the child at heart," said the principal, who declined to be named.

A spokesperson for MOE said schools are provided with a set of guidelines to manage school discipline, but "within the guidelines, schools may formulate their own rules based on the school context and needs".

[email protected]

WTF, boy never show parent the letter is teacher fault?

Hair cut in school previously very common leh... And S$60 haircut for pri sch pupil?! :blink:

Actually, the teacher should not have cut the boy's hair on PSLE exam day itself. If they wanted to do it, should have done it long before. Or after that particular oral exam, also better.

Now it seems the school principal don't want to back up the teacher. So the teacher acted on own initiative? Kind of hard to believe. I do know that some schools bar students from sitting for exams if they don't comply with rules on the day itself. Example, a student cannot turn up for exams without being in uniform. And these rules probably extend to hairstyles, wearing proper shoes, as well.

If I were the teacher, honestly, I wouldn't have cared. This particular boy will already be on his way out in a couple of weeks, so who cares?

Maybe this teacher cared for students too much, and that caused her downfall. Kind of ironic, when they stress "caring" in teacher training, no??

The school principal also one kind! Should stand in line with your staff! I guess in future, the teachers will not dare to do anything in future with this type of principal...

Edited by Deckbuild

It was not PSLE exam but PSLE Oral Exam, and all students were given a check list to be presentable on that day.

Actually the teacher shows she care for the student, that he will not be penalised by the examiner. perhaps she should just let him fail! -_-

WTF, boy never show parent the letter is teacher fault?

Hair cut in school previously very common leh... And S$60 haircut for pri sch pupil?! :blink:

end of the day, the parent shoot herself in the foot, cos she NEVER bother to find out about what the kid is doing in school [laugh]

now she wants to kpkb <_<

The mom xiao.

Than when show the letter just simply push it to forget.

She think she is the customer of the school arh. Pay full fee lah.

err.... your hair only need trimming, still must pay $38 so much :huh: :huh:

normally the salon got charge different rate for adult guys and boys. $60 for a boy haircut means probably adult cost at least $80 and above. for $80 haircut, I think around in the same league as Passion salon by David Gan liao.

mine is $43. [laugh]

Mine 10 bucks only at EC House, cheap & good! [rolleyes]

$10 cheap?? there are alot going at $2.80 or even 80 cents [laugh]

↡ Advertisement