Want to buy medical insurance but ....

Ysc3

i think that was what my GE agent wanted to do for me ... submitted a proposal but GE wanted me to go get a current medical report (pay myself $80?) and then not guarantee can accept somemore ... that's why i refused to do it.

anyway, i am ready to switch to whichever ins coy which will overlook my HBP condition and accept me without any exclusion clauses.

no checkups, period. unless the ins want to foot the bill.

me thinks that paying $80 to get a chance for further coverage is better than waiting for other insurer to accept you. Once you are "sub-standard" life, NO insurer will overlook that fact. And touch wood if any other conditions appear...

↡ Advertisement

i think that was what my GE agent wanted to do for me ... submitted a proposal but GE wanted me to go get a current medical report (pay myself $80?) and then not guarantee can accept somemore ... that's why i refused to do it.

anyway, i am ready to switch to whichever ins coy which will overlook my HBP condition and accept me without any exclusion clauses.

Why would any good insurer want to overlook your HPB? Insurance is bought to protect individuals in the event that they fall ill and the premiums charged by insurers are supposed to reflect that. If they allow people with pre-existing conditions to buy at the same price as everyone else then general prices will increase for everyone else. How is this fair to the heathy people on the plan?

Twincharged

Why would any good insurer want to overlook your HPB? Insurance is bought to protect individuals in the event that they fall ill and the premiums charged by insurers are supposed to reflect that. If they allow people with pre-existing conditions to buy at the same price as everyone else then general prices will increase for everyone else. How is this fair to the heathy people on the plan?

that is how we DEFINE a good insurer ... one that can tailor to one's needs rather than a "one size fits all" policy.

had a buddy in BMT ... got low bloodcount or something ... excused alot of things ... so i guess he might have had problems buying insurance ... but hey - he can do 12 pull ups at one go !!

what about those ironman atheletes who die at the end of the race ?

so how do you define "healthy" ?

This reminds me of a meeting I had with my insurance agent recently.

He was sharing with me how he had clients who had themselves covered with all kind of insurance and then one day there is this lady client who was diagnosed with early stage cancer and started going for treatments which cost lots of $$. However, even though she has bought insurance policies that cover critical illnesses, she is unable to claim anything because the coverage is only for criticial illnesses diagnosed in later stage and not early stage. For early stage, there is no coverage. So he is sharing with me that many people was not fully aware of this and took for granted that as long as they have a policy which covers criticial illnesses, they are safe if diagnosed with a critical illness like Cancer. At that point, he then ask me if I want to add additional coverage into my existing policy to include early stages of critical illnesses too...To be frank, I have still yet to decide.. [:/]

Buying these additional coverage is not stupid, there are benefits but it will cost you more money. The insurance co are not charity organisation out to help u, they are here to sell u product and make a profit. Paying the higher premium, usually, you will 'lose' money, otherwise the insurance co will quickly terminate that plan.

Twincharged

Buying these additional coverage is not stupid, there are benefits but it will cost you more money. The insurance co are not charity organisation out to help u, they are here to sell u product and make a profit. Paying the higher premium, usually, you will 'lose' money, otherwise the insurance co will quickly terminate that plan.

like i mentioned ... some just have to learn the hard way ... which i almost did ... but falling sick is something that cannot be foretold and seeing the rising cost of medical fees, its best to be protected.

you all heard the saying : you can die here in SG, but you can't afford to fall sick !

Anyway, your record of high blood pressure is already in the Life Insurance network. All the insurance companies will know, even if you dont declare. Only way is to stick to whatever you have, alternatively is to get a foreign insurance program; which will cost a few thousand premium a year if you can afford

This reminds me of a meeting I had with my insurance agent recently.

He was sharing with me how he had clients who had themselves covered with all kind of insurance and then one day there is this lady client who was diagnosed with early stage cancer and started going for treatments which cost lots of $$. However, even though she has bought insurance policies that cover critical illnesses, she is unable to claim anything because the coverage is only for criticial illnesses diagnosed in later stage and not early stage. For early stage, there is no coverage. So he is sharing with me that many people was not fully aware of this and took for granted that as long as they have a policy which covers criticial illnesses, they are safe if diagnosed with a critical illness like Cancer. At that point, he then ask me if I want to add additional coverage into my existing policy to include early stages of critical illnesses too...To be frank, I have still yet to decide.. [:/]

Early Payout insurance coverage actually serves a better purpose than a general plan for critical illness which only pays out in later stages, since the money can be used for early stage even in the case of stage 0 cancer-in-situ. However, the downside is that the premiums are more costly, and you should only consider it if this is within your budget. It's offered by a few companies. You can also compare the quotes and determine which one is the best value for you

To be fair, yes insurance coy is here to make a profit. They too have the duty to protect the interest of their customers. Insurance is not exactly to protect you from any illnesses or injuries. It acts as cushion for ppl who are healthy at first then fell ill or injuries. With the backing of statistics, they work out a policy to have many ppl in a cluster. When I person falls ill among 100 sign up, the premiums paid by the 99 others is used to pay for one that got affected. Anything more, the insurer will need to pay out of their own pocket. Based on statistics, an average human being tends to be at a greater risk of contracting chronic illness at a later age (not considering ppl with high risk profile). Therefore throw premiums will need to be adjusted upwards to build the reserves.

What is my point of saying this? My point is if my insurer keep taking in high risk ppl / at risk ppl out of good will. Will they go bust if I need to file a claim. Cos by that time, no other insurer will be taking my policy. It is recommended that one should be an insurance before things happen rather than things have already happen. If insurer allows this, I personally don't feel secured getting insurance from that insurer.

Neutral Newbie

Hope this is useful. Found it sometime ago.

It is a common that insurance companies do not cover pre-existing condition. Typically, pre-existing conditions will be excluded with little or no chance of them being covered, even after a number of treatment-free years.

Fortunately, the British insurer, Aviva, applies what the industry calls the

How serious is your High Blood Pressure? I have had clients got their applications approved. Did you do a medical check? Because a lot of agents would not want to waste their time meeting you and handling the applications again and probably bringing you for medical for that small commission.

The best option is to upgrade your GE plan. Go for a medical checkup if you have to. It doesnt costs much :) A few tens of dollars only. Are you on any company insurance?

I would like to see how I can further give you tips and advice, do drop me a mail at [email protected]

If you have any enquiries on any Insurance in the market, you may also drop me an e-mail for further advice. No worries, I am not interested in closing any deals. Am only here to help with any questions or problems you encounter.

Edited by Healthcare

Twincharged

just an update ... managed to get this HealthShield Gold Max + rider from an agent ... submitted my BP taken during my last visit to the polyclinic for my meds ... agent met up with me and took the printout and said it was "good".

called me about 2 weeks later and told me it was approved and then met up to sign the acceptance form.

when i asked about the "exclusion clause", he told me it was considered and not taken into account. So my declaration will be behind my policy documents but there will not be any exclusion mentioned on the front page of my policy.

is there anything else that i need to look out for on the policy docs ?

frankly, i have never had any breakdown due to my HBP ... so i really feel its unfair to group me under the "high risk" group, that's why i refuse to do anything that will show me as such.

even with today' medical science, not everyone can be categorized into groups just because of their similar medical conditions.

just an update ... managed to get this HealthShield Gold Max + rider from an agent ... submitted my BP taken during my last visit to the polyclinic for my meds ... agent met up with me and took the printout and said it was "good".

called me about 2 weeks later and told me it was approved and then met up to sign the acceptance form.

when i asked about the "exclusion clause", he told me it was considered and not taken into account. So my declaration will be behind my policy documents but there will not be any exclusion mentioned on the front page of my policy.

is there anything else that i need to look out for on the policy docs ?

frankly, i have never had any breakdown due to my HBP ... so i really feel its unfair to group me under the "high risk" group, that's why i refuse to do anything that will show me as such.

even with today' medical science, not everyone can be categorized into groups just because of their similar medical conditions.

So did he ask you to sign a conditional letter of acceptance for exclusion? Even if the exclusion is attached behind the policy documents and stated as exclusions, it will be deemed effective that you have accepted the exclusion. So you might want to check that what he asks you to sign is not actually a letter of acceptance for exclusion.

One word about you after reading your posts: Dumbo (sorry for the harsh word).

Penny wise pound foolish. Kit Jiak Ko Ai Geng Jiak.

Better you reject all insurance company & stand on your own. You'll be the ultimate winner!! No need to pay insurance premium, no loading, no co-sharing & you get to keep every cent in your pocket! What could be better then that? :D Good luck!!!

Sounds to me like you have been misled. I hope not. There is no such thing as an acknowledgement. Usually it means you accept the exclusion. Please get it checked asap. It would mean once your Healthshield is approved, your GE is policy will be automatically terminated. Thus, no coverage with regards to HBP. If you'd like a faster response, please email me. I hope you receive the best advice available.

Also, you have made the right choice in getting insured. Congrats!

Twincharged

Please get it checked asap. It would mean once your Healthshield is approved, your GE is policy will be automatically terminated.

why is this so ? its different companies ?

Twincharged

One word about you after reading your posts: Dumbo (sorry for the harsh word).

Penny wise pound foolish. Kit Jiak Ko Ai Geng Jiak.

Better you reject all insurance company & stand on your own. You'll be the ultimate winner!! No need to pay insurance premium, no loading, no co-sharing & you get to keep every cent in your pocket! What could be better then that? :D Good luck!!!

part and parcel of life ... its just like some ppl like Zeus and some people like Thor ... just cannot explain principle and belief (although some would call it as being stubborn).

no worries ... since i joined this forum, i would have expected this kind of response.

↡ Advertisement