Eastern Europe: Self Drive Questions

Lorinser

Planning a self-drive Eastern Europe.

Does anyone has this experience before and if this is allowed?

Example... pickup vehicle from Vienna or Prague and drive thru Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Germany... etc?

↡ Advertisement

Very adventurous. All the road signs in eastern europe is in their native language and not english and majority of the people there can't speak english. I think not too easy to get around there with self-drive but if you can get a reliable GPS, then perhaps ok.

Adventurous it is, but with a reliable GPS should be ok... maybe some duck and chicken talking... [:p]

Concern is whether the rental car can go cross borders.

Anybody tried this before?

At least get an International Driving Permit, because sometimes the car rental agency may just let you rent a vehicle, but neglect to tell you that the local law enforcement will demand the IDP if they pull you over. If the policeman's english is no good... worse!

Also depends on which part of eastern europe you're talking about. Some of the countries are rather run-down, and the people poorer and more desperate. Can be a little bit dangerous, but if you stick to busy roads and drive during the day, should be safer. Especially those countries nearer the Carpathians, e.g. Romania, and the Balkan states, can be quite lawless. And I'm not talking about danger at night from Dracula!!! [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Eastern Europe is nothing like western Europe, please be careful of your surroundings, especially the more rural areas and countries ending with "Stan", the villagers there are like the wild west, meaning they will stop at nothing to rob you or collect "tolls" from you.

Correct me if I am wrong. :ph34r:

Example... pickup vehicle from Vienna or Prague and drive thru Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Germany... etc?

prepare to get your car jacked!

most car rental companies located in the west do not encourage driving anywhere east of germany, austria and italy! and i think the insurance does not cover if you dare to venture east.

prepare to get your car jacked!

most car rental companies located in the west do not encourage driving anywhere east of germany, austria and italy! and i think the insurance does not cover if you dare to venture east.

I've driven in most part of Western Europe including Austria and they are ok. Most car rentals in Western Europe prohibit driving into Eastern Europe unless additional insurance is purchased. The concern is car theft. Ditto for Italy too.

Supercharged

Eastern Europe can be compared to JB.... no law and ppl there are poorer which means they will rob u in no time.

u have to know some Eastern europe languages. no english there hor.

how many of you travelling?? better to go with more people hor.

Police there is no use one hor......

you saw the show "Hostel"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostel_(2005_film)

Eastern Europe can be compared to JB.... no law and ppl there are poorer which means they will rob u in no time.

that's a very harsh indictment of the people of eastern europe.

i don't doubt the high crime rate and poverty but one thing is for sure: they have hell of a lot more culture and history than the people of JB. and it does show in their manners and way of life.

Supercharged

that's a very harsh indictment of the people of eastern europe.

i don't doubt the high crime rate and poverty but one thing is for sure: they have hell of a lot more culture and history than the people of JB. and it does show in their manners and way of life.

i know its harsh. but its better to prepare TS than not prepared at all.

i have some female friends who backpacked alone in Eastern Europe and came back in one piece. but well, you never know..............

the key is to be very street smart

i know its harsh. but its better to prepare TS than not prepared at all.

i have some female friends who backpacked alone in Eastern Europe and came back in one piece. but well, you never know..............

the key is to be very street smart

i've been to Czech in Prague. even though it is consider the more tourist friendly eastern europe state, i dun feel as safe e.g. in Germany, Scandinavia, Swiztzerland etc.

ditto for Italy, Spain

i mean if ur ambassador can behave in certain manner, u know how the rest of population can behave....

↡ Advertisement