Taxes must rise for social spending to increase

HP_Lee

Supercharged

They won't tax the rich, cos they scare the rich run away or withdraw their business in SG. So they will tax everyone....and give subsidies/relief to the poor. It is the middle-income who will suffer... they aren't rich and can't qualify for subsidy or relief. [:(]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

If need to raise taxes in order for social spending to increase, then how come they can afford to lose billions of dollars on the failed TH/GIC investments? doesn't make sense. What happens to the so-called budget surplus accumulated in the so-called good years then? Are they depleted?

When they invest, they didn't foresee it will be a failure! It was a gamble, but with the taxpayers money!

They now don't collect enough revenue from various taxes and investment and hence are digging into the reserves. So to counter this, they must raise taxes! [smallcry]

Supercharged

I rather they slash the funds allocated for sports and devote the monies towards such social welfare schemes. the carving of MCYS pie leaves much to be desired. seriously.

Not only that, they should slash those grant and subsidies to PRs! I still see PRs payment same rate as SC in courses, etc!

pwui pwui pwui.....

MittRomney's formula is for US not for Singapore, ok..... hhhmmpphhhh!

US have no worries. They allow free flow of FTs. Eventually, they get up and run again. US is vibrant. But we are the opposite. The gov have regulate FT in-flows. The tightening should not be overdone and allow loosening on certain sectors. I have also brought up to MOM and ministry. We still need them to make our country vibrant. Recently, my next door was sold to a PRC PR family. They are so nice people to be around. Much better than my previous local owner, who don't greet me when I took the first move. That's my honest word from my heart.

• Dislike 1

Not only that, they should slash those grant and subsidies to PRs! I still see PRs payment same rate as SC in courses, etc!

Do agree on this. [cool]

US have no worries. They allow free flow of FTs. Eventually, they get up and run again. US is vibrant. But we are the opposite. The gov have regulate FT in-flows. The tightening should not be overdone and allow loosening on certain sectors. I have also brought up to MOM and ministry. We still need them to make our country vibrant. Recently, my next door was sold to a PRC PR family. They are so nice people to be around. Much better than my previous local owner, who don't greet me when I took the first move. That's my honest word from my heart.

Big countries with abundants of land have little to worry about. There might be low period, but eventually they will be able to bounce back. China suffer through the great leap & cultureal revolutin, but now have since more than bounce back. Sam thing that happen to a small country, & chances are the country will be gone. Western Europe suffer greatly through the plague, but came back strongely with the renessience (spelling?).

In the end, its also about the people. IMO, we (many other developed countries as well) have taken what we have for grant.

When we moved from developing to developed country, alot of things muct also change. For instance, heathcare have been well documented to be very expensive in Singapore. It is clear, when you are very rich, you wanted low tax, since you do not need the social security. But when you are not rich, espciecally when many people have huge loans from hiusing, children education, car loans, its like driving without seatbeat or airbag. Usually its ok, but once kanna a serious accident, thats it. If you do not think for yourself, think for your family. What will happen when (touchwood) you are gone, or worst (in SInagpore at least), you are bedbound or something & need the high medical cost every month?

Would you pay a little more (maybe a lot more (I pay almost 50% tax just so you guys know, LOL, s$1k per month goes to heathcare insurance alone), give up a little luxury (if some of them matter at all, like eat out in high end restuarnt & brande goods) for a little more security?

I believe most people will say NO (but let me know if I am wrong). Something gonna give, you cannot expect better heathcare & social security & all if you are not willing to give more. You get what you pay for or not pay for. It no wrong or right what we have now, its just the way things work. Until we open up with teh idea of more contribution, I do not expect drastic improvement in social spending.

• Praise 1

I rather they slash the funds allocated for sports and devote the monies towards such social welfare schemes. the carving of MCYS pie leaves much to be desired. seriously.

Facebook-Like-Button-big.jpg

fark youth orlimpic!!!!

fark rename what road!!!!PUI!!!!

• Praise 1

If need to raise taxes in order for social spending to increase, then how come they can afford to lose billions of dollars on the failed TH/GIC investments? doesn't make sense. What happens to the so-called budget surplus accumulated in the so-called good years then? Are they depleted?

Facebook-Like-Button-big.jpg

well said!!! wanna spend billions? spend on own country!!! spend the marnie on mrt, education, dont stinge on these!!!

Just look at his money face can liao !!!! [rifle][rifle][rifle]

Do u think they are here to serve ???? they are here to tax, tax and tax people like u and me so that their salaries and benefit goes up

• Praise 1

Very well said.

Big countries with abundants of land have little to worry about. There might be low period, but eventually they will be able to bounce back. China suffer through the great leap & cultureal revolutin, but now have since more than bounce back. Sam thing that happen to a small country, & chances are the country will be gone. Western Europe suffer greatly through the plague, but came back strongely with the renessience (spelling?).

In the end, its also about the people. IMO, we (many other developed countries as well) have taken what we have for grant.

When we moved from developing to developed country, alot of things muct also change. For instance, heathcare have been well documented to be very expensive in Singapore. It is clear, when you are very rich, you wanted low tax, since you do not need the social security. But when you are not rich, espciecally when many people have huge loans from hiusing, children education, car loans, its like driving without seatbeat or airbag. Usually its ok, but once kanna a serious accident, thats it. If you do not think for yourself, think for your family. What will happen when (touchwood) you are gone, or worst (in SInagpore at least), you are bedbound or something & need the high medical cost every month?

Would you pay a little more (maybe a lot more (I pay almost 50% tax just so you guys know, LOL, s$1k per month goes to heathcare insurance alone), give up a little luxury (if some of them matter at all, like eat out in high end restuarnt & brande goods) for a little more security?

I believe most people will say NO (but let me know if I am wrong). Something gonna give, you cannot expect better heathcare & social security & all if you are not willing to give more. You get what you pay for or not pay for. It no wrong or right what we have now, its just the way things work. Until we open up with teh idea of more contribution, I do not expect drastic improvement in social spending.

• Praise 1

Increase of taxes, as country is more developed. Though a citizen of a higher tax bracket status, I do encourage to the gov to tax more on the rich, while maintaining those who are at the mid or lower tier tax brackets. This is a way to contribute back to the country. [cool]

Taxes Must increase for social spending

yes, please up the tax brackets of the super rich

• Praise 2

The rich already taxed on progressive system. Plus they are taxed more when they own multiple cars, own multiple properties and corporate taxes on their businesses. Tax the rich is always a nice war cry for the masses but their wealth oils the wheels of the economy whether you like it or not. The money they spend creates jobs.

• Praise 2

Why do maids who barely earn $400 a month attract a tax of $170 every single month?

Why don't we tax EP holders who earn $4000 a month at $1700 each month too?

Either maids are overtaxed, or EP holders are undertaxed.

Similarly, why only citizens and long term PRs have to contribute CPF? A Singaporean earning $4k a month, would have to contribute nearly $2k in CPF each month. The EP holder, nothing.

And young Singaporean men have to serve NS too. How to put a dollar cost to that?

Young Singaporean women on maternity leave? Who pays? Their companies?

Singapore companies may worry about whether Singapore will exist tomorrow and contribute their fair share towards national defence and population renewal. But foreign companies? Why should they care? Things dont work out, they pack up and leave.

So why should we expect companies to put Singaporeans first? Why pay more for a Singaporean? It's just foolish. The end result is obviously an endless demand for cheap foreigners, especially those on EP.

I think EP holders are getting a free ride. I think it is only fair that they put in their fair share.

If every EP holder have to pay a CPF equalisation tax/National defence tax/Population renewal tax, and at a rate no more aggressive than what we already expect of maids, say $1k per month EP levy for a $4k earning EP holder, we will have a massive budget for social spending.

If EP holders have to pay a $1k levy a month, above what they cost now, I doubt there will be a question if they are talented, and MOM does not need to waste time approving EP applications. Let the free market decide.

Imagine 1 million more EP holders : that means a billion dollars more spending money every single month.

If we can enjoy free healthcare or retirement benefits because of the existence of foreigners, esp EP holders, I think most Singaporeans will love foreigners deep and welcome them with open arms.

But as it is, the government systematically creates an environment that puts Singaporeans at a disadvantage competing against foreigners.

If we are short of babies today, we will need full grown foreigners in maybe 20 years time, not now.

If we fear a silver tsunami in 20 years time, how does bringing in more full grown adults now help? Wouldnt that worsen the tsunami in 20 years?

If the government is sincere about not putting Singaporeans last, I have made a very practical suggestion: tax the EP holders as though they are maids.

• Praise 1

The rich already taxed on progressive system. Plus they are taxed more when they own multiple cars, own multiple properties and corporate taxes on their businesses. Tax the rich is always a nice war cry for the masses but their wealth oils the wheels of the economy whether you like it or not. The money they spend creates jobs.

You understand economics. [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Increase of taxes, as country is more developed. Though a citizen of a higher tax bracket status, I do encourage to the gov to tax more on the rich, while maintaining those who are at the mid or lower tier tax brackets. This is a way to contribute back to the country. [cool]

Taxes Must increase for social spending

how to increase birth rates with so much social contraceptives??? dun use condom also cannot conceive, sperm bad quality, cannot stand...

the policies nowadays is really the LPPL type.

[laugh]

• Praise 1

I second that!

Why mati mati must win a medal in sports? Can makan isit?

If a real singapore born singaporean go try...nothing muh to say N we all support. But why spend sooooo much of our hard earn money on some FT just hoping that we win a medal?

Pls la. that money can be jolly well spent on some needy project back home for realy citizens!!!

Everytime see table tennis match, machiam China vs China. A fake will also be a fake!

And that chairwoman....aiyo.....see her 1 time, wanna vomit 2 times. Hear her open mouth....switch off tv! Just dun like her. [knife]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1