Taxes must rise for social spending to increase

HP_Lee

Every yr budget surplus generated by Singaporeans, throw into blackhole call reserves.

Y cannot use surplus to fund social spending meh?

In fact old man so worriedwe touch reserves that he installed double guard dog- parliament and president tonsafe guard it

Edited by Relacklabrudder
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Why do maids who barely earn $400 a month attract a tax of $170 every single month?

Why don't we tax EP holders who earn $4000 a month at $1700 each month too?

Either maids are overtaxed, or EP holders are undertaxed.

The problem with your statement is that that maid levy is a tax on the employer, not the maid. Nothing stops you from paying your maid $1000 a month if you think that is fair, and the maid would not be charged an income tax on the difference.

As with other things, the tax code in Singapore is geared towards a tax on consumption rather than strictly on income. You can choose not to consume. In many other countries you would just have to pony up the 40%.

I don't know about you but I'd rather stay in a consumption based tax code and exercise discretion over spending.

• Praise 1

The problem with your statement is that that maid levy is a tax on the employer, not the maid. Nothing stops you from paying your maid $1000 a month if you think that is fair, and the maid would not be charged an income tax on the difference.

As with other things, the tax code in Singapore is geared towards a tax on consumption rather than strictly on income. You can choose not to consume. In many other countries you would just have to pony up the 40%.

I don't know about you but I'd rather stay in a consumption based tax code and exercise discretion over spending.

50% income tax on top of 19% VAT (GST) [:p] in Germany. But got tax rebate from marriage & kids. Some other countries like Norway or Finland are similar also, I think.

But you do not get taxed so high on housing & cars etc, & the tax include healthcare & pension among others.

• Praise 1

The new Ministry of Social and Family Development will provide better support for social enterprises, including more training and help for social enterprises to develop their capabilities.

Minister of State for Community Development, Youth and Sports Halimah Yacob revealed this during a visit to MINDS Social Enterprise yesterday, which was started 12 years ago to create an alternative avenue of employment for its clients.

The new ministry, when established in November, will also provide better funding support. Said Mdm Halimah, who will become the Minister of State for the new ministry: "We already have a lot of funding schemes but they might not be aware of it ... I think most important is marketing, so we see a lot of good products being developed, but the marketing skills might not be there."

Can learn Funding schemes from Kong Hee...he pro at it...

taxes collected from 2011 & 2012 coe no enough?

Yup agree. Have been staying at that level for too longer. We are seeing better quality maid in HK and Taiwan

50% income tax on top of 19% VAT (GST) [:p] in Germany. But got tax rebate from marriage & kids. Some other countries like Norway or Finland are similar also, I think.

But you do not get taxed so high on housing & cars etc, & the tax include healthcare & pension among others.

ya, but equally....look at the soial welfare of those country you mention...either free education to university....and also free healthcare...as well..

• Praise 1

They won't tax the rich, cos they scare the rich run away or withdraw their business in SG. So they will tax everyone....and give subsidies/relief to the poor. It is the middle-income who will suffer... they aren't rich and can't qualify for subsidy or relief. [:(]

Our taxes level is still pretty competitive, as compare to others. I see room to move. The problem of ours could be different. Many rich are here to enjoy the living and not much are actually setting up real businesses that employ many locals, except their spending of services and food. The tax they pay are much lower, as compare back to their countries.

Our country is been masked by huge in-flow of the rich making it the richest country in the world.

Edited by HP_Lee
  • Praise 1

think u get TS message wrongly.... he is refering to more tax to the rich. Not average Joe like us.

You are right. This what I have pointed out.

Indeed. If high taxes make people lazy, how did Nokia and Ikea make it out of Finland and Sweden? And then think about all the German companies. Who wants to argue Germany, Finland or Sweden has lower taxes than Singapore? Germans, Finns, Swedes are lazy?

OTOH, tax havens like Cayman Islands, Bermuda, BVI... they are hardly known for hardworking people, are they?

It's a tragedy of modern democracy that the less well off masses can be easily manipulated to believe "facts" that are obviously untrue and vote against their self interest.

Just like the issue with importing foreigners.

If we are short of babies today, we need to import babies today or adults 20 years later, not full grown adults now.

If we need to import full grown adults today, it's because we were short of babies over 20 years ago, when Singaporeans obeyed govt orders for population control. That's something that will not change for the next 20 years even if Singaporeans obey the govt again and have a baby boom now.

The govt should admit full responsibility and apologise, not shift blame to an obedient people, or sillier still, use the low birthrate TODAY as an excuse to import full grown adults TODAY. And yet people buy it rather than calling bull-s--t.

Same issue with taxes. The government has been cutting income tax for many years, and the main beneficiaries are the high income, and shifting the tax load to GST... Rich people can fly overseas for their shopping sprees GST-free, poor people stuck here and pay GST for everything we consume.

And yet the govt can still call this shift a "caring" move for the poor, and worse yet, there are people who actually buy it.

Yup, this is what I have encourage to tax the rich. They shouldn't have increase the GST and doubt they will do it soon, as many have realized it.

• Praise 1

I don't understand why a listed company like SMRT have grant of 3+mil to run the London cab for handicapped?

I like a service for the disabled, but not giving grant to a listed coy..

Does it mean due to the grant, handicapped user din't need to pay for cab? If yes, I support. If not, why are we lowering operating cost for shareholder's wallet?

• Praise 1

I don't understand why a listed company like SMRT have grant of 3+mil to run the London cab for handicapped?

I like a service for the disabled, but not giving grant to a listed coy..

Does it mean due to the grant, handicapped user din't need to pay for cab? If yes, I support. If not, why are we lowering operating cost for shareholder's wallet?

corporate welfare?

• Praise 1

Pinky just announced taxes to increasepost-131345-0-44299400-1511102526_thumb.png

Hmmmmmm.......not going ktv anymore

Go kopi shop see viet beer gal

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 5

Sundays Times speculate GST might increase "while mitigating the effect on the lower income"

When ST write such things I find that it is usually not 'speculation', the press is usually managed for such big changes - no reporter will dare to make such wild guesses

Hope I am wrong, but if I am not means all of us gonna pay more for everything

I already expected this earlier this year during the Budget review 2017

Together with the drop in COE revenue in the next few years (with the lower quota), money has to come from somewhere

• Praise 2