Help!!! Steering wheel is shaking badly even on 40km/h

Zheshi

Neutral Newbie

Hi All,

My steering is shaking badly when i'm driving even when i'm driving at 40km/h.

Can this problem be resolve with just wheel balancing?

Had spoken over to the phone with 2 workshop and they told me might be the case of the tyre is swollen (First time hear of this) and recommend that i change the tyre.

Any forumer able to advice what might be the possible things?

↡ Advertisement

I suppose u must have recently done tyre rotation or change rims, i suggest u check if e centre rubber ring is still there, it may haf accidentally came off when rims were taken out. This ring holds e rim to the axel n if missing will cause vibration of steering wheel even at low speed.

Anything other than that will be quite an issue, balancing, rim warped etc. have to

Let mechanic do thorough chk

Neutral Newbie

Hii all,

My car BMW116i manual gasline, (like 10 yrs old) has got an issue or two.
1. it cold starts very good. the rpm is stable and around 800rpm.  often when i insert gear 1 and slowly disengage clutch, the car will shake violently and die (if i don't give some gas).
If i give some gas and diengage clutch slowly, it will violently vibrated (until i swear i can hear cv kicking sound), ya, may be i gave it too much gas to start moving the car while disengaging the clutch; but it is all because if i don't give enough gas it will dies on me.

2. the issue is, sometime the problem doesn't exist at all, i can just engage gear one, disengage clutch and give some gas slowly, everything is smooth.. great!.

3. i saw milky white liquid at the head block when i open the cap for engine oil top up, because it has being 1 year that i kept topping up engine oil. i believe engine is now consuming engine oil itself. even tough the exhaust gas is not black color.

4. i don't know if the car originally how powerful .. because it is driven by my wife, she knows nothing about car, unless the wheel fall off. :=) but i believe the car has hesitation issue. when i press the gas pedel, it doesn't respond immediately, but rather hesitated a bit and smoothly run forward. i believe that is not that normal. but this is not the main issue.

a.
so, i think (think only) there is a leak in head gasget or somewhere.
could the milky color engine oil found on the engine oil refill entrance (head block)is a sign of water leak into engine oil compartment and mixed with engine oil ? that's why my car is not so powerful as i described in point 4.. i couldn't see any white vapor at exhaust as well.. it is just normal exhaust gas.

or is it because the piston rings are wearing off, hence the engine oil goes into firing chamber to be burn off with gasline ?

b.
the shaking voilently at disengaging of clutch at 1st gear.
is it due to engine power issue that computer fail to adjust the proper fuel and gas causing almost stall condition ?
or
is it due to the universal joint (the knocking and kicking metal sound heard when i give gas while disengage clutch at 1st gear - violently shaking) of drive shaft failing ?
or
is it due to the clutch plate wear unevenly ?

sometime i got pissed off of this disgracing voilent shaking , than i press the gas pedal to the bottom causing the engine revving at high rpm and charge forward (which skipped the violent shaking issue)

the car will die immedately if i let go of clutch with handbrake on.
it has no problem going up hill, nor does it has problem on highway (not that i notice off).
i believe clutch slippage is not an issue.. just maybe uneven clutch plate surface, then again, how come sometime it is able to transit smoothly while sometime it shake voilently ?

i haven't try start car with 2nd gear if it vibrate.
i don't remember if it vibrate when i reverse the car.
just know it sometime the car shake violently when start moving the car in 1st gear , wether i give gas or not (no gas will usually cause engine stall)

can you help me out ? i am on a tight budget here and i would like to fix the problem myself or at least diagnose the cause.

thanks
andrew

I think unless it is an auto, every car engine would die, if your handbrake is decent!

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

If car keep shaking drive 40km then need to check the tyre if got any swallow or allignment issue. If related to engine issue better send over to check by mechanics unless u are gd on car.

Turbocharged

Hii all,

My car BMW116i manual gasline, (like 10 yrs old) has got an issue or two.

1. it cold starts very good. the rpm is stable and around 800rpm.  often when i insert gear 1 and slowly disengage clutch, the car will shake violently and die (if i don't give some gas).

If i give some gas and diengage clutch slowly, it will violently vibrated (until i swear i can hear cv kicking sound), ya, may be i gave it too much gas to start moving the car while disengaging the clutch; but it is all because if i don't give enough gas it will dies on me.

2. the issue is, sometime the problem doesn't exist at all, i can just engage gear one, disengage clutch and give some gas slowly, everything is smooth.. great!.

3. i saw milky white liquid at the head block when i open the cap for engine oil top up, because it has being 1 year that i kept topping up engine oil. i believe engine is now consuming engine oil itself. even tough the exhaust gas is not black color.

4. i don't know if the car originally how powerful .. because it is driven by my wife, she knows nothing about car, unless the wheel fall off. :=) but i believe the car has hesitation issue. when i press the gas pedel, it doesn't respond immediately, but rather hesitated a bit and smoothly run forward. i believe that is not that normal. but this is not the main issue.

a.

so, i think (think only) there is a leak in head gasget or somewhere.

could the milky color engine oil found on the engine oil refill entrance (head block)is a sign of water leak into engine oil compartment and mixed with engine oil ? that's why my car is not so powerful as i described in point 4.. i couldn't see any white vapor at exhaust as well.. it is just normal exhaust gas.

or is it because the piston rings are wearing off, hence the engine oil goes into firing chamber to be burn off with gasline ?

b.

the shaking voilently at disengaging of clutch at 1st gear.

is it due to engine power issue that computer fail to adjust the proper fuel and gas causing almost stall condition ?

or

is it due to the universal joint (the knocking and kicking metal sound heard when i give gas while disengage clutch at 1st gear - violently shaking) of drive shaft failing ?

or

is it due to the clutch plate wear unevenly ?

sometime i got pissed off of this disgracing voilent shaking , than i press the gas pedal to the bottom causing the engine revving at high rpm and charge forward (which skipped the violent shaking issue)

it has no problem going up hill, nor does it has problem on highway (not that i notice off).

i believe clutch slippage is not an issue.. just maybe uneven clutch plate surface, then again, how come sometime it is able to transit smoothly while sometime it shake voilently ?

i haven't try start car with 2nd gear if it vibrate.

i don't remember if it vibrate when i reverse the car.

just know it sometime the car shake violently when start moving the car in 1st gear , wether i give gas or not (no gas will usually cause engine stall)

can you help me out ? i am on a tight budget here and i would like to fix the problem myself or at least diagnose the cause.

thanks

andrew

White milky liquid found inside engine oil cap is usually head gasket leakage, which is also possible since it's an old car. Time to buy a new BMW  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement