AAS membership ?

Bluemice

How heavy is this?

Around 2kg. Was skeptical at first but when I really tried it out, I felt for its size versus performanc, it has already exceeded my expectation.
↡ Advertisement

Most of these jump starters have good and bad reviews.

Some people's expectations are not met.

So it's hard to say

I just ordered it, but not received yet.

The reason I chose this was the LiFePo battery.

I had a few more, all Lithium-ion battery. So safety is always in my mind, when I'm using these.

I'm ready to throw them out if they get pregnant or worse, smoke and start a fire.

Lead-acid battery is a much safer option, but then you need to lug around a big size battery.

That is its main disadvantage.

Thank you Bro kb27 for your explanation. Looks like you very knowledgeable to determine a good one. I shall wait for your review for this set & make a monkey see monkey do decision.

Edited by Leinad8919
  • Praise 2

Around 2kg. Was skeptical at first but when I really tried it out, I felt for its size versus performanc, it has already exceeded my expectation.

This looks like a spiral wound AGM lead-acid. The lighter weight of 2kg is due to the water not present in the electrolyte compared to a regular lead-acid battery.

The other alternative is simply to carry around a 35AH lead-acid battery (5~10kg) with short 2 cables of sufficient thickness.

Similar to those lithium jump starter, the cables should be less than 2 ft each, and min 10 AWG wire, preferably 8 or 6 AWG

This would be like the normal jump start cables, except it's shorter and fatter.

However, lead-acid has a higher rate of self-discharge compared to lithium-ion.

So, you should charge that battery every 6 months.

Otherwise, it may have discharged so much, that it can't start the car when you need it to.

How come I did not receive the AA "crest"? From far, looks like the car of a Datok. 

Nowadays, I only see them on very old cars.

Interesting comment on the relevancy of AAS. Its counterpart in Malaysia was reportedly in dire financial straits. It makes me wonder if I will be able to get a reciprocal service from AAM when driving a Singapore-registered car in Malaysia should I need one (one of my reasons for joining AAS).

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/09/24/aam-close-to-the-brink-association-said-to-be-struggling-with-debt-crisis-of-millions/

Yes, i think there are reciprocal services, not only in Malaysia but other countries too worldwide.

Emblem look nice on old cars esp cars like vintage mercedes...

post-146820-0-54525100-1487152089.jpg

post-146820-0-49143700-1487152096.jpg

Yes, i think there are reciprocal services, not only in Malaysia but other countries too worldwide.

There are no reciprocal services in UK if you are an AAS Member.

There are no reciprocal services in UK if you are an AAS Member.

From website, now think its available...GB was listed.

Fortunately have not need to use any, but have visited one of the offices in Australia (if not mistaken in Melbourne)

http://www.aas.com.sg/worldwide-reciprocal-service/destination-listing.html

List of 8 popular destination where AA member can receive reciprocal services:

We have listed 8 popular destinations where AA members can receive reciprocal services. Members are required to produce their valid AA membership card to enjoy the service.

List of 8 popular destination where AA member can receive reciprocal services:

MALAYSIA Head Office

Automobile Association of Malaysia (AAM)

AAM BREAKDOWN HOTLINES

Call the respective AAM Hotline number of the state in which the breakdown occurred

If you are using a mobile or fixed line from Malaysia:

Toll-Free 1-300-226-226 (24 hours) Butterworth 04-390 4545 (7am -11pm) Ipoh 05-506 3846 (24 hours) Johor Bahru 07-226 7527 (24 hours) Klang Valley 1-300-226-226 (24 hours) Kota Bharu 09-747 5500 (8am -12midnight) Kuantan 09-515 8600 (8am -12midnight) Kuala Terenggaru 09-624 1898 (8am -12midnight) Kuching 082-340 808 (24 hours) Melaka 06-334 0945 (8am -12midnight) Penang 04-281 7427 (24 hours) Seremban 06-764 4358 (7am – 11pm) Sungai Petani 04-421 6021 (8am -12midnight)

For breakdown beyond any of the above service hours, please call 1-300-226-226 for assistance.

If you are using a mobile or fixed line from Singapore, please add +60(state code), i.e. for breakdown in Johor Bahru, call +607-2267527.

Member Relation Unit, contact number: +603-5522  3699

Mon-Fri: 9am to 5pm, Sat:9am to 1pm

Alternatively, you may call Singapore at +65748 9911 for assistance. 

AAM BREAKDOWN SERVICE

Breakdown service covers only vehicles with system failures and does not cover accident vehicles. Members must present their AA Singapore membership to the AAM crew or its contractors for verification. 

AAM assistance will only be rendered to AA Singapore members driving Singapore-registered cars. Service for Malaysia-registered cars driven by AA Singapore members is chargeable and payment must be made on-the-spot in order for service to be rendered. 

AA Singapore members enjoy a one-time maximum reimbursement of RM50 per claim, per year if they utilize the services of AAM-appointed workshops, mechanics and towoing contractor. The orginial receipt must be submitted to AA Singapore within two (2) weeks of the incident. 

If towing back to Singapore is required, members have to liase directly with the AAM tow operator to bring the vehicle to Singapore where AA Singapore tow operators will take over the towing.

Members are required to pay all necessary charges required by the Malaysian Customs. These charges are not claimable from AA Singapore.

Terms and conditions

• Breakdown service only covers vehicle breakdown due to mechanical problems.
  • AAS membership card must be produced at the breakdown site.
  • Towing of vehicle involved in an accident is payable.
  • Vehicle recovery service rendered by AAM will not be chargeable in the free breakdown zones, except for selected zones with charges applicable for breakdown service rendered after 12 midnight.
  • Service outside the free breakdown zone is payable and AAS members will have to use AAM appointed workshops and towing contractors for breakdown service to be entitled to the reimbursement of RM50/year by AAS. The original receipt must be submitted within two weeks for the claim.
  • AAM assistance will only be rendered to AAS member driving Singapore registered car. Service on Malaysian car driven by AAS member is payable and payment must be made on the spot.
  • For list of FAQs on RAS in Malaysia, please click here

I've tried to use AA services in UK and have been denied twice.

Both times they denied any such reciprocity was in existence.

Just saying, like.

Edited by Neutrino

I feel that AAS needs to relook at its business model,  strategy and reinvent.

Nowdays, with car distributors offering breakdown services during warranty period, car insurance offering the same, and jump start power banks easily avail cheaply and run-flat tyres.... how often does one require the services of AAS?

AAS business depends on membership fee.

When you need to replace a bad battery, they still charge you for it.

Yeap, they have to change their way of business, when membership starts to fall.

They just have to sign contract with all gov services, LTA, TP, URA & HDB for towing services. Jia buay liao already. 

Was watching Highwau thru hell on Discovery and the police over there engage these big towing companies.

yup, most ADs use AA for roadside assistance service though the numbers to call are different. It's hooked up to AA.  :D

They just have to sign contract with all gov services, LTA, TP, URA & HDB for towing services. Jia buay liao already. 

Was watching Highwau thru hell on Discovery and the police over there engage these big towing companies.

I only need the reciprocal service when I drive in Malaysia. But if it is in financial mess, I don't think they can provide such service to me fast enough. In the report, even their own members complain about the slow tow truck service.

AAS i think is quite good for towing and car breakdown. Price is reasonable and i think it is money well spent. The freebies are not that good though. Response time used to be much faster though.

• Praise 1

Thank you Bro kb27 for your explanation. Looks like you very knowledgeable to determine a good one. I shall wait for your review for this set & make a monkey see monkey do decision.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 3

Supercharged

AAS i think is quite good for towing and car breakdown. Price is reasonable and i think it is money well spent. The freebies are not that good though. Response time used to be much faster though.

Interesting info.

How much is this compared to ordinary battery charger??

i signed in Nov, got a choice of blackvue 1 channel (dun remember model liao), or iRoad V9 2 channel. I chose the latter.

Didnt see this promotion in their website or FB page, is it over liao? 

i just received the Schumacher SL1.

First look, it has a much bigger casing, compared to the cheapo chinese jump starter.

It's good bcuz it suggest a bigger battery inside.

I test intentionally with reverse wrong connection. It beep an alarm. So it does have reverse polarity protection.

There is no output when not connected to a battery. So I connect to an external battery to trigger it, can feel a relay clicking inside.

The output voltage is 13.4V, much higher than 12.6V for the regular lithium-ion.

That would mean 3.35V (fully-charged) x 4 cells of LiFePo4 compared to the regular 4.2 x 3 cells of lithium-ion cobalt.

Haven't tried jump starting yet, but it looks to be able to handle better, since the voltage output is much higher as well.

The cheapo lithium jump starter needs to quickly disconnect the jump cable since the alternator voltage (average 14.5V) may damage the lithium cell (max is 4.2V x 3), although some come with protective reverse-protection cable.

This SL1 runs on LiFePo4 and is charged by a 17v AC adaptor, so it's not affected by the lower alternator voltage after a successful jump start.

The AC adaptor has a sticker of 120Vac, so you may need a small 120/240Vac transformer to use this.

uYlTbXE.jpg

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation Bro kb27.

Didnt see this promotion in their website or FB page, is it over liao? 

Err... actually i can't be sure too. When I signed up in Nov, there was a deadline not too far away too. Then by the time i went to collect the camera, which was at least about 3-4 weeks away as i went overseas (by which time the deadline was over), i still heard the person taking the car at the AA shop telling someone calling in, about this promotion.

Maybe you can call them to ask whether they still have: 6338 8811.

↡ Advertisement