Passat 1.4TSI

VellfireS

Bros and well.. Sis..

For a VW Passat.. I dont understand the logic for a 1.4L engine.. I have always felt that the 1.6L for a S80 is already.. like does not suit.. 1.4L for a Passat? Just my opinion.. Now underpowered meh?

and using the famous 7 speed gearbox.. :blink: :blink:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/review.php?AID=510

Edited by SJP1965G
↡ Advertisement

a bit disappointing given its a 1.4 TC. will be better if its 1.4 twin charge.

hahaha.. I just find that.. 1.4 for a PAssat is really weird.. Just like Ford.. 1.0L for their Mondeo.. :blink: :blink:

hahaha.. I just find that.. 1.4 for a PAssat is really weird.. Just like Ford.. 1.0L for their Mondeo.. :blink: :blink:

mondeo have a 1.0L??

anyway if its 1.4 twin charge, at least they give a similar power as their 1.8 TC counter part.

mondeo have a 1.0L??

anyway if its 1.4 twin charge, at least they give a similar power as their 1.8 TC counter part.

I heard next one.. 1.0L Ecoboost.. 3 Cylinder..

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2012/09/201...eiled_gets.html

Haha.. Yupps.. True.. Actually , no offence.. Even after driving the 1.8L version , I just find it underpowered.. I think for a Passat.. Best is the previous 2.0FSI engine.. more oomph..

Having tested a passat 1.4 on launched day, I can say that the early torque is gd enough for daily drive n should be better than other 2.0l class cars(non tc). But onced being push hard, it kinda gets noisy n can feel slight lag . Think it's gd for those who wanna enjoy a executive car with small cc n some premium equipment.

you may be double surprise to read this: http://www.mycarforum.com/blog/myautoblog/...coboost-engine/

Highlights:

1) The new 2013 Ford Mondeo which measures over 4.8m will be offered with the 1.0-litre three-cylinder Ecoboost power plant.

2) The engine is small enough to fit into an A4-sized paper. Perhaps the engine bay of the 1.0-litre Mondeo could have enough space for a small child to play hide-and-seek. <- not i say one, you guys read and believe yourself :blink:

Seems like VW is "downsizing" their current model? Like Polo from 1.4L to 1.2L and now Passat from 1.8L to 1.4L? [confused] Wonder will the power still the same after downsize from 1.8L to 1.4L?

Edited by 13177

Bros and well.. Sis..

For a VW Passat.. I dont understand the logic for a 1.4L engine.. I have always felt that the 1.6L for a S80 is already.. like does not suit.. 1.4L for a Passat? Just my opinion.. Now underpowered meh?

and using the famous 7 speed gearbox.. :blink: :blink:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/review.php?AID=510

If its century sprint can be achieved in 10.3sec then it should be alright, beat alot of cars with bigger engine to shame definitely. And the torque figure is very high, so move off is fast. Also the car is very feature-packed.

The only thing I not comfortable is the 7 spd DSG. If not, it is definitely the car to go for at the moment.

If they did that, it would kill the sales of the 1.8T (which is also 160hp). How many will pay the extra COE for Cat B if the performance is the same? Especially since the 1.4 has the park assist which 1.8 does not.

So if they really want to make a "Passat 1.4 Sport" giving it 160hp, they would have to upgrade the 1.8 passat to a 2L Passat with the same 210hp engine as the Tiguan.

Haha...I guess many ppl still cannot look past the horsepower figures to make a conclusion.

Before we read a car review we got to first tell ourselves what the car maker's goal in building this car. It's afterall a family car and not a track monster filled with lots of hp.

The torque figures suggest otherwise, at 200nm maybe from 1500rpm-300rpm, a lot of 2L NA enigines dun even reach that figure, even if they do it's at the high rev band of 4000rpm and above. In layman terms your butt feels the max power churning out at 4000rpm. For the 1.4L TC it's tune for low end torque which is good for city driving in mind. Better fuel economy, less CO2 emission. The twin charge will have a higher hp rating coz there's are two chargers, one for low end & the other for high end torque.

Anyway the horsepower figures derive from calculations where the max torque @ rpm is a major contributing factor. So if the figures in the rpm is low you will see low hp figures. NA engine where you have to rev high rpm to get the power, of course the end result for hp figures will also be high. So you see the hp figures are pretty much dependant on the max torque @ rpm figures. In reality for butt feeling power the max torque @ rpm tells a more realistic story.

Another thing about the turbo lag where the review mentioned. IMO It's better to have lag in the power delivery for a family car than have those kind of surging forward turbo monster track car, imagine driving that in city conditions, you will end up crashing ppl's butt almost every time. I believe the car maker made use of the electronic nanny like the traction/esp control to limit the torque delivery.

Like I said it's a family car with a lot of city driving in mind. If you are looking for performance, you will have to look at other engine options.

Edited by Watwheels

Seems like VW is "downsizing" their current model? Like Polo from 1.4L to 1.2L and now Passat from 1.8L to 1.4L? [confused] Wonder will the power still the same after downsize from 1.8L to 1.4L?

Personally i thought it was a terrible idea but with 200Nm of torque, actually for singapore driving it should be alright. It is pretty good for those looking for something more luxurious ride without having to buy a Cat B car. Put it this way, the list price is about same as Camry 2.0 which is much slower in 0-100 and not to mention significantly higher road tax too. Which would you buy?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_...re.php?SpecCode[]=3300&SpecCode[]=3156

Of course i am not factoring in the famous gearbox. If i do then i would never buy any VW dry clutch 7speed DSG.

Anyway, PA also brought in the 1.4L A3. So VW not the only one "attacking" the cat A segment. Won't be very surprised if i see a 1.4L A4 in time to come. But then again the gap between Cat A and B now is getting smaller as Cat B continue to fall while Cat A has picked up again.

Edited by Kar_lover

How come conti cars all downsizing their engine, whereas you would not find jap cars doing such thing? Like the merces also launched their 1.6L and 1.8L C and E class from last time 2.0L.

How come conti cars all downsizing their engine, whereas you would not find jap cars doing such thing? Like the merces also launched their 1.6L and 1.8L C and E class from last time 2.0L.

TC small engine is nothing new. The Japanese have been there done that. Anyway a lot of car makers had that experience. TC engine no matter the size of the CC produce more heat dan NA engines of the same size and heat generally kills and disintegrate a lot of things in a car. Thus the long term maintenance and reliability issues.

I know some will mentioned the bonnet is cool even after a day's of driving. That's becoz some % of the power produced by the engine is used in the cooling system to cool itself. So the more power the engine produces, more power is needed to cool itself. The cooling system in a TC engine system is vital, if it fails you can say goodbye to your engine.

The Japanese invested a lot of time & effort in their NA engines and now in hybrid systems. They look at things that are more practical and their goal on achieveing fuel economy hasn't change. With better computer technology they are turning back to CVT for improved fuel economy w/o compromising in driving response where it failed in the past.

Anyway for man made mechanical anything you got to give and take. You cannot have the best of both worlds.

Edited by Watwheels

soon............we are going to see 800cc............or even 600cc TC cars liao............way to go man.................up that CAT A COE.............. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

↡ Advertisement