CNA: More drivers caught for flouting child seat belt rules

Darthrevan

something interesting....

while waiting at a junction, chanced upon a fully loaded cab with green "Taxi" sign on top, and a young boy sitting on a lady's lap in the front passenger seat. His head / upper body can be seen from the side.

maybe i looked too much to many. [rifle]

the front window came down and the front indian lady asked ... "What do you want ?"

me: i dont want anything, in fact its you who wind down your window and started the conversation !!

both drives off [nothing interesting liao]

if I have a kid on my lap in the front passenger seat, i would rather pretend to be invisible and hopefully the next vehicle (or TP) along the road dun see us.maybe its just me ... [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

mice

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

something interesting....

while waiting at a junction, chanced upon a fully loaded cab with green "Taxi" sign on top, and a young boy sitting on a lady's lap in the front passenger seat. His head / upper body can be seen from the side.

maybe i looked too much to many. [rifle]

the front window came down and the front indian lady asked ... "What do you want ?"

me: i dont want anything, in fact its you who wind down your window and started the conversation !!

both drives off [nothing interesting liao]

if I have a kid on my lap in the front passenger seat, i would rather pretend to be invisible and hopefully the next vehicle (or TP) along the road dun see us.maybe its just me ... [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

mice

Well, most likely they have this usual "it won't happen to me" mentality in them, hence just bo chap... [laugh]

Are child seats really that compulsory?

We used to have 4 children sitting behind my father's Datsun 1200 when we were young. Everything have been ok.

Are we the only country in South East Asia with the child seat rule?

yes, it is indeed not easy. i have 2 young kids. both cried for entire journey (e.g. seng kang to yishun for 20+ min) first time we put them into their car seats. we didnt bow to their prolonged whinning. it may seems harsh (endless scoldings from mum in law in the same car!) but we knew what we were doing.

i was determined to do it and it was never a negotiable matter. I knew in my head that once i made 1 single exception, i will end up paying for this compromise later on.

as some others said, if the kid refuse to buckle up, just stop the car or head home. the kid will learn to respond very quickly...

Yah. I have the same attitude with u.

My son was crying 2 hrs when we drive from Penang to perak. When we have to do it, means have to do it.

But for parents who are still breast feeding, it will be very difficult. Always have to feed. Only parents who breast feed will understand.

Babies need to have their naps. Window period already quite short for going out. Plus feeding. Totally can don't go out if we strictly follow the rules.

I also have 3 kids, including one still breastfeeding, so seating is a massive pain especially now that I have a helper.

From what I understand, the rules didnt put a limit on the number of passengers. It only states all seat belts must be used, and children under 130 cm should be in a car seat. So in theory, for those who drive a hatch like me, you can put an adult in the boot legally. But since my wife cannot feed and drive now, I have to drive and that leaves me with a choice between looking like a bad father or an abusive employer.

But I don't really think it is a safety issue. After all, we tolerate foreign workers packed like cattle on pickups with at best a rope to hold on to and a canopy to restrict how far they will fly in an accident. Foreign workers are not humans too? Why one rule for locals and another rule for foreign workers?

yes, it is indeed not easy. i have 2 young kids. both cried for entire journey (e.g. seng kang to yishun for 20+ min) first time we put them into their car seats. we didnt bow to their prolonged whinning. it may seems harsh (endless scoldings from mum in law in the same car!) but we knew what we were doing.

i was determined to do it and it was never a negotiable matter. I knew in my head that once i made 1 single exception, i will end up paying for this compromise later on.

as some others said, if the kid refuse to buckle up, just stop the car or head home. the kid will learn to respond very quickly...

If only parents think and do like us. The problem is all these so called new generation parents do not believe in being harsh or strict (they will treat this as child abuse or corporal punishment or whatever). Most will just give in to their kids. This is probably the root cause of the problem.

My fren will not hesitate to give his son(3yr old) one tight slap if he refuse to buckle up. He damn fierce towards his kid. His kid at coffeeshop playing with his milo drink instead of drinking it properly, straightaway one tight slap across the face in front of everybody. :blink:

I will learn from him if I have a kid next time.

Compared to a wack on the buttock (done as privately as possible), slapping face of one's child in public (often accompanied by parent sshouting loudly) may do more psychological harm (like poor self-image) than just physical pain.

I agree will all those who say that TP should ALSO do more to catch all those drivers who drive whilst holding handphone (to talk or do texting) or holding cigarette in one hand, reckless illegal midnight racing along Orchard Road

What make me laugh is that the driver is concerned about the passengers in the third row of an MPV and yet would not ensure that the children are safely belt-up.... Telling the little monsters to hide from TP ????? make me laugh too ....

Some more videos ..... as a reminder .... I am sure that there are many many other videos ....

Edited by Civic6228

my monsters die die dun want to sit! gave up long ago! -_-

now see TP ask them hide! [:p]

my monsters cried for few months everytime i buckle them up since 1yr old. now they guai guai sit in the child seat.

People are so mafan nowadays..

When I was young, my dad's car didn't even have a seat belt.

He drove me everywhere, even to Malaysia, Thailand..

Compared to a wack on the buttock (done as privately as possible), slapping face of one's child in public (often accompanied by parent sshouting loudly) may do more psychological harm (like poor self-image) than just physical pain.

A few of my frens and I were brought up this way.

Last Sat at Yishun Post Office, I saw a lady beating her child on the back damn hard, she pull the child up slam him on the floor till her handbag flew out of her hand too. Then followed by a few hard slaps on the face. The kid was playful and meddle with those greeting cards and banging the empty shelves. The kid like dont feel anything after the initial few slaps on the face and continue till the mum slam the kid on the floor.

Everyone there were shocked and just stared. Me too. :D Some kids can be really hard to discipline so sometimes got to do it the hard way. Reasoning with the kid will never work.

going along such analogies, if anything bad happens, maybe we can console ourselves that it's ok/reasonable that such things are common during our childhood days?

most developed countries in the EU and australia enforced such child seat rules strictly. we are just following best practices in my view. it is well-justified in any logical and rationale perspective.

as a parent and entrusted guardian, i would not any a chance on risking the well-being of my children. why would we excuse ourselves for the sake of "mafan-ness"?

Supercharged

Exactly. Last time my dad drove us around in a Datsun pickup. There was no seat belt at all in that vehicle... yet me and my sister sat in it and we went to so many places. :D

Exactly. Last time my dad drove us around in a Datsun pickup. There was no seat belt at all in that vehicle... yet me and my sister sat in it and we went to so many places. :D

1. How many cars were around then?

2. How many stupid drivers were around then?

3. How many accidents a day then?

Those days were golden!

In addition, there was no COE then, now in bad accidents, you lose your car along with highly valued COE too.

Supercharged

But we should not be distracted from the crux of the matter here: that drivers must be responsible for the safety of their young children (and older children and adult passengers). It is incredible if they are unwilling to spend on a good child seat whilst willingly pay over $100k for a new car and even pay a few thousand $ more to obtain a

↡ Advertisement