CNA: More drivers caught for flouting child seat belt rules

Darthrevan

I agree will all those who say that TP should ALSO do more to catch all those drivers who drive whilst holding handphone (to talk or do texting) or holding cigarette in one hand, reckless illegal midnight racing along Orchard Road

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

1. How many cars were around then?

2. How many stupid drivers were around then?

3. How many accidents a day then?

Those days were golden!

In addition, there was no COE then, now in bad accidents, you lose your car along with highly valued COE too.

Last time those cars even more lousy than now. The metal so thin, no ABS, no airbags, etc. Yet all of us survived mah!

Last time also got stupid drivers lor....not that don't have. :D

i just got this feeling that those who agree that tp should focus more on other offence rather than child restrain

are actually the ones that let their kids loose in the car before or even on going

Supercharged

Has anyone tot about those families riding in taxis, in foreign registered cars? TP don't catch them at all...why not leh? Is life for kids inside a taxi less valuable? Are foreign children lass prone to accident? So what is the reason they catch a few local drivers for such an offense but don't bother about the other reckless and irresponsible drivers who beat red light, etc?

Double standards isn't it? [:(]

There are practical constraints (not impossible) apply such rules on foreign cars or taxi, etc.

But are we so 'kiasu' that even when our kid's safety is at stake, we also want to make it apply to others 1st then we will follow? Logically, even without rules, people should put their kids safety 1st.

Anyway, to each his own. Follow rules or not, it is their choice and willing to bear with the consequences ('opportunity' cost of child seat, if no accident vs fine if kenna caught).

......For some drivers, like silklee, they face practical problems but they some workable solution can be found so long as they put safety of their passengers as top priority. Be thankful that we are better off than many families without a car to use; we have a

Edited by Silklee

I hate to be in your situation. I know a couple of friends had similar problem. They didn't opt for a 7 seaters for whatever reason. for one of the two, whenever they need to go out as a family, they will leave their helper at home or send her to his parents place. The other one will take public transports occasionally or like the 1st one, leave their helper at home.

Since we are on this topic...

I have called both LTA and traffic police to confirm that it ok to put a car seat in the front passenger seat. The only restriction was from Honda that states that a rear facing car seat should not be placed in the front passenger seat.

Since we are on this topic...

I have called both LTA and traffic police to confirm that it ok to put a car seat in the front passenger seat. The only restriction was from Honda that states that a rear facing car seat should not be placed in the front passenger seat.

Tho they said its not an offence, you shud not place a child seat in front as those smaller ones (i mean <2yo kids) w get suffocated from the air bags if activated.

Supercharged

i just got this feeling that those who agree that tp should focus more on other offence rather than child restrain

are actually the ones that let their kids loose in the car before or even on going

No one will purposely do that lah! Everyone cares about safety, especially for the little ones!

However, not all kids sit as ordered in a child seat, no matter how you force them, or reward them. So should the parent wack this child until he/she sit in the seat for fear of pain or further punishment? This is something TP don't understand and flexible about. [:(]

Supercharged

This will not be the primary reason why Singaporeans refuse to procreate. However, if someone asks me how am I managing with 3 kids, this will certainly be a point of consideration.

Bro, you are lucky you can upgrade your ride. Some guys can't, due to limited budget but on the other hand, need a vehicle for daily usage.

And yes, this kind of rule won't help to increase the low birth rate, which is now already so bad.. [:(]

Initially, I also faced a lot of problems trying to get them to sit quietly in the car seat, especially the girl.

I was so frustrated back then that i was thinking it is not such a bad idea if i get caught by a TP for flouting the rules and the TP can help me to scold/scare the girl into sitting properly in the car seat. 4 points and $120 is, imho, a small price to pay for that. Kids have a wonderful memory and they will certainly remember the incident.

Luckily, I managed to get her to sit in the car seat after much persuasion, carrots and sticks.

For those who are going to have kids or are newly minted parents, it helps to start buckling up your kiddo from young. By the time they are 2 yo, they will less likely throw a tantrum since they are already used to it.

Since the day my son was discharged from the hospital after he was born, he has always been travelling in a child seat. Started with the Maxi-cosi CabrioFix carry cot. Now he is 3 yo and is sitting in the Priori XP. No problem and no fuss. When it's time for a car ride, he will open the door, climb into his seat and wait for us to help him buckle up.

Tho they said its not an offence, you shud not place a child seat in front as those smaller ones (i mean <2yo kids) w get suffocated from the air bags if activated.

Not suffocation. But more of the likelihood of severe head injuries due to the explosive nature of the air bag when it is deployed. So for those bopian gotta put the child seat in front and you can't deactivate the front passenger air bag, then the best would be to push the passenger seat as far back as you can.

Another one .....

All I can say now .... there is a choice .... I am just hoping that the driver will not live to regret his decision ..... "mafan", car small (No space), car too expensive etc etc .....

Not suffocation. But more of the likelihood of severe head injuries due to the explosive nature of the air bag when it is deployed. So for those bopian gotta put the child seat in front and you can't deactivate the front passenger air bag, then the best would be to push the passenger seat as far back as you can.

so when is the big old enuf to withstand the airbag? old enuf not to suffer broken neck and suffocation? internet all kinds of ages and weight also have.. any tests done?

Here are some videos worth watching:

Crash test, unrestrained children

This video should convince some parents/drivers to secure their children in car seats for every trip.

Note: the crash test was conducted at only 50 km/hr (30 mph)!

Most of us drive at higher speeds during most of our trips. We often think that serious injuries will only result when speed is > 90 km/hr not at 50 km/hr.

Keeping children safe in crashes: Overview

Keeping children safe in crashes: Booster seats

Child passenger safety tips for parents (boosters)

Car seat safety: The biggest mistakes parents make, and how to avoid them

http://www.babycenter.com/0_car-seat-safet...how-to_64875.bc

Do look at the

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1