Radiator tank leaks

Header

Just to share. Recently my coolant leaks and I brought my car to Autosaver. Was asked to replace the whole radiator tank.

Parts and labour (incl coolant and new thermostat) cost me close to $700. [:(]

Now monitoring and hope the problem is solve...

↡ Advertisement

Just to share. Recently my coolant leaks and I brought my car to Autosaver. Was asked to replace the whole radiator tank.

Where is the leak? Is it somewhere near the joints? ie hose joints....? I had a slow leak previously on one of my car and I bought the radiator putty from the stores, tried very hard to apply them using the instructions but I failed to rein in the leak. I think radiators can go very high in pressure and so will push the putty out again. The putty is supposed to harden when it gets in contact with the hot radiator.

Anyway, with aluminium radiators nowadays, you can't weld it back unlike the copper ones last time. So once it's leaking, its time to change it. How much was the labour within the $700? Did you see the breakdown of the cost? ie radiator - I'm assuming it's <$300? Maybe the workshop took the opportunity to change all the hoses, thermostat, fan, .....

Just to share,

My daily runabout which is a ssangyong musso, was driving along the expressway to work in the morning when suddenly saw the temp pointed to above "H" doesn't think too much of it and continue driving it. Cos v particular and flushed coolant w distilled water 6month once, and thought the thermostat faulty cos it's above H. Continue driving as office is just 3km away. Suddenly the Engine die and I'm lucky to be able to roll to the road side, when I pop the bonet smoke was coming from my radiator and a lot of coolant around the radiator area. I waited for about 20min and pour water in again to try to slowly drive to my workplace and get the tow truck. But there's a leak on the top of the radiator. So upon reaching half an hour later the tow truck reach. Tow to workshop and suspect gasket overheat or blown, dismantle the head and skim, top overhaul, overheated gasket blown, radiator crack, change a new 1. Total cost of repair = $2k plus. Lesson leant, when ur temp needle shows "h" don't assume stop immediately and do not continue driving. It's a expensive lesson learnt

I read that you not sure about AS workshop. So why go to them to replace radiator tank for close to $700?

I went AD to renew (1) all belting and pulley assembly, (2) renew water pump assembly, (3) renew both rear wheel cyclinders and (4) replace all shock absorbers for $1,152 at 160k mileage, excluding servicing which is under maintenance package. That's the most I ever paid for maintenace but when you paid $700 for radiator only, I think what I paid is a deal.

Edited by Dumb

Neutral Newbie

Just to share,

My daily runabout which is a ssangyong musso, was driving along the expressway to work in the morning when suddenly saw the temp pointed to above "H" doesn't think too much of it and continue driving it. Cos v particular and flushed coolant w distilled water 6month once, and thought the thermostat faulty cos it's above H. Continue driving as office is just 3km away. Suddenly the Engine die and I'm lucky to be able to roll to the road side, when I pop the bonet smoke was coming from my radiator and a lot of coolant around the radiator area. I waited for about 20min and pour water in again to try to slowly drive to my workplace and get the tow truck. But there's a leak on the top of the radiator. So upon reaching half an hour later the tow truck reach. Tow to workshop and suspect gasket overheat or blown, dismantle the head and skim, top overhaul, overheated gasket blown, radiator crack, change a new 1. Total cost of repair = $2k plus. Lesson leant, when ur temp needle shows "h" don't assume stop immediately and do not continue driving. It's a expensive lesson learnt

when u see the temp needle rising, then stop the car by the roadside, switch off the engine and let it cool down. you may want to open the bonnet to cool it down faster. NEVER pour water into the radiator to try to cool it down as that will damage the radiator grilles.

Just to share,

..my old mazda had the needle pointing to "H" and quickly pulled to the side..radiator top cover leaked and towed to my mechanic. Never carry on driving when "H" appears and never pour water even after 20 to 30 min... tow better..

Just share my experience also ... last month, my car also over heated.

about 4pm i drive to Wiki edge for lesson. then while parking, discover the 'H' indicator light up. Realise must be the temperature too high. lucky reach designation. so went off for my lesson.

after 15 min then realise that the lesson change location to orchard at starhub building. so i drive there without aircon on. no "H' appear. but weather too hot i turn on aircon, everything run fine. No overheating sign

I suspect the Radiator fan not working. Engine bay not as noise as before.

after 4 hour of lesson, i check coolant every thing ok then i move off. Knowing the risk I off my aircon.

To my horror, I stuck in the stupid jam from starhub centre to concord hotel there about 40 minutes. (200m distance only). Then the

Let me share my experience...

On my previous car, the car overheat while in a traffic jam...I stop immediately after i got outta the jam. Pop the bonnet and let go of the pressure in the radiator (I use a lot of newspaper (dripping wet) and pop the radiator cap) Waited for a while and I top up with water and drove off the main road and waited for tow truck.

Recently one worst. Was on NSH coming out of Taman Perling toll when I wound down the window to pay toll...I smell the sick smell of coolant. After paying toll...stop immediately and inspected the car. Temp on the gauge was still ok...slightly higher than usual but still acceptable. Top up with water and drove towards the causeway...damn jialat...a usual 30mins trip took me 4hour + to creep pass the causeway...lucky it was wee hours of the morning...once out of customs, stop at Woodlands and call for tow truck.

The first one was a stuck thermostat...the 2nd incident was the drain plug got blown outta the radiator causing the coolant to flow off. Lucky I spotted it.

So make it a point to glance at your temp gauge from time to time...especially if your ride is around 3 years old...that is when the cooling system usually start giving some minor issues. If you dun spot the minor issues...then it will become a major issue...eg blown head gasket.

But so far I been lucky...my radiator has not leak yet...*touch wood

But once leak...it would be best to replace it for peace of mind...plug here and there also no use one...cos if there is a weak spot in the radiator...the pressure will just exit from there...could be the plug hole or some other spots.

Make it a point to change your coolant at least once every 2 years...the anti rust will not last forever.

I really scare radiator and cooling system got problem, cause it will overheat your engine and cause you to "break down" along the road! Seems like when car gets older, like above 4 year old, sure to have such problems. Which is why the mechanic always advise me to check on the coolant and water level in the radiator at least every 1-2 weeks to ensure that the radiator is working well, if you are driving an "old" car. :D

Supercharged

Besides checking coolant/water level, check radiator fan working or not, change coolant very 2 years... what other checks can we do to spot coming radiator problems leh? :mellow:

I read that you not sure about AS workshop. So why go to them to replace radiator tank for close to $700?

I went AD to renew (1) all belting and pulley assembly, (2) renew water pump assembly, (3) renew both rear wheel cyclinders and (4) replace all shock absorbers for $1,152 at 160k mileage, excluding servicing which is under maintenance package. That's the most I ever paid for maintenace but when you paid $700 for radiator only, I think what I paid is a deal.

they are slowly raising their price for some services. they want to charge $20 labour fee for changing spark plugs. i told them i buy the plugs from them but labour is still $20. what the heck!!!!

I never use water on my radiator, always use coolant. Afraid that water will corrode with the metal and damage the radiator.

Never use 100% coolant...I tried that once and after changing all to 100% coolant...farking radiator kaput...leak !!

It has to be a mixture...the cooling system is a close loop system...any substantial topping up of coolant is a clear sign that somewhere is a leak.

My 5 year old car just pop the radiator cap to ensure that there is enuff water and expansion tank level is between hot and cold marking can liao.

they are slowly raising their price for some services. they want to charge $20 labour fee for changing spark plugs. i told them i buy the plugs from them but labour is still $20. what the heck!!!!

Depending on car...V engine and boxer engine pple charge more. Inline engine is usually 2-3 bucks a plug for labour...inline can change yourself lah...

For Boxer or V config engine is harder....my car I go Autobac and buy spark plug...I ask them to change for me...they say labour $20...I ok...they see a WRX they say dun wan to change liao !! Hahahahahaha....

Besides checking coolant/water level, check radiator fan working or not, change coolant very 2 years... what other checks can we do to spot coming radiator problems leh? :mellow:

Also need to check the radiator piping, sometimes the piping can also leak or burst due to wearing off.

Never use 100% coolant...I tried that once and after changing all to 100% coolant...farking radiator kaput...leak !!

It has to be a mixture...the cooling system is a close loop system...any substantial topping up of coolant is a clear sign that somewhere is a leak.

My 5 year old car just pop the radiator cap to ensure that there is enuff water and expansion tank level is between hot and cold marking can liao.

If I am not wrong, there are 2 type of coolants. One is a concentrated type and the other one is already pre-mixed with water. Always get the pre-mixed one.

↡ Advertisement