Radiator tank leaks

Header

If I am not wrong, there are 2 type of coolants. One is a concentrated type and the other one is already pre-mixed with water. Always get the pre-mixed one.

Hahaha...I dun trust those pre mix one leh...never state how much is the mixture...

I usually buy the Merc coolant...2 bottle and top up the rest with water...1.5 bottle into radiator...half bottle into the expansion tank.

I kiasi...cos dun want to be stuck halfway !! hahahaha....

So far it has served me well...touchwood !!

Edited by Ghostrider
↡ Advertisement

I really scare radiator and cooling system got problem, cause it will overheat your engine and cause you to "break down" along the road! Seems like when car gets older, like above 4 year old, sure to have such problems. Which is why the mechanic always advise me to check on the coolant and water level in the radiator at least every 1-2 weeks to ensure that the radiator is working well, if you are driving an "old" car. :D

Ha ha my car just passed 6 years and 1 months. I dont even remember opening the radiator cap to check!!!

Anyway, with aluminium radiators nowadays, you can't weld it back unlike the copper ones last time. So once it's leaking, its time to change it. How much was the labour within the $700? Did you see the breakdown of the cost? ie radiator - I'm assuming it's <$300? Maybe the workshop took the opportunity to change all the hoses, thermostat, fan, .....

Labour charge is $90. Radiator tank is $480. Thermostate is $40+. The rest is price of coolant.

My car is a Nissan Latio.

My main purpose is just to share as a reference for other bro....

Labour charge is $90. Radiator tank is $480. Thermostate is $40+. The rest is price of coolant.

$480,

i can get my radiator for $70 sgd (my ride optra ).

car markers are sure making big profit for radiator.

Ha ha my car just passed 6 years and 1 months. I dont even remember opening the radiator cap to check!!!

Better to some checks just in case, cause dont think you want to experience having your car breakdown along the road. [:p]

$480 is that for Radiator or the Expansion tank? Or both? Radiator is the one infront of the car with a fan attached to it. Most cars should have a expansion tank thats usually plastic.....

$480,

i can get my radiator for $70 sgd (my ride optra ).

car markers are sure making big profit for radiator.

Is the $70 radiator compatible brand? Can't be original right? Not saying that only original is good - I would have changed to compatible ones as long as they are of reasonable quality. For some makes, they don't manufacture their own parts. Almost everything is outsourced to Hella, Bosch, Febi, Wahler, Sometimes you buy original parts, you will see the original logo but also the OEM's logo at the back. These are the real OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturers.

hi guys, wanna check Toyota long life coolant can last how long? my mechanic says must change every 20k servicing. is that true?

Change every 2 years is good enough.

It doesn't cost much anyway.

Better to some checks just in case, cause dont think you want to experience having your car breakdown along the road. [:p]

I am amazed with reliability of jap cars and they are good for lazy person like me. 6+ yrs and 190k mileage no need to check radiator or anything!!! I leave all servicing to AD every 3 mths plus. Even when I drive to KL twice, I dont bother to srvice or check anything except my tyres and spare tyre. So far my current and last 2 jap cars all no problem except when I had a conti car before.

[shocked]

Labour $90 yeah thats reasonable.

But why the need to replace the thermostat? Well thats just $40....still OK.

Maybe youre unsure whats a radiator and which is the expansion tank. Thas OK. Never mind. But assuming that youre refering to the radiator and its $400 [shocked] typical Jap/Korean radiatorsshould not cost more than $200. If it was the plastic expansion tank, it'll be like $50~$70? If hoses leaked....maybe just $20.

they are slowly raising their price for some services. they want to charge $20 labour fee for changing spark plugs. i told them i buy the plugs from them but labour is still $20. what the heck!!!!

If you change spark plug as per recommended service interval, it is within the service package already.

AS charge quite high for parts that u change outside their regular service package, that is how they earn. Their normal package is quite value for money. So what is do is i anticipate what needs ro be changed outside their regular package and i buy from min ghee before going over.

Just to share. Recently my coolant leaks and I brought my car to Autosaver. Was asked to replace the whole radiator tank.

Parts and labour (incl coolant and new thermostat) cost me close to $700. [:(]

Now monitoring and hope the problem is solve...

which branch you went to?

Neutral Newbie

Hi all

Recently, my 6 years old BMW also have a coolant leak problem. I have to top up the coolant every day.

I dont want to spend too much on it, so i brought around to 2 kinds of workshop to get an estimate.

Initially, i bought to a mechanic mentioned in some forum, those that dont have a very pretty shop front and with old mechanics.

They said some host have broken down in the radiator and I need to replace the entire. He quoted me $550 for an OEM and $850 for an orginal replacement, inclusive labour.

I brought to a 2nd shop with a pretty shop front named KBS in Sin Ming, i had my BMW servicing there before.

They assessed and quoted me somewhere around $1100.

I was keen to take in the 1st shop when i bumped into a neighbour who was a mechanic. Try my luck, i also asked him to assess the damage.

To my surprise, he me one of the tubes in the radiator due to wear and tear broken, but he can fabricate a replacement.

The total damage was $150 and i got my car running again.

For those drivers that dont know much about car repair and maintenance, i think there are a lot of shops out there that are capitalising on our ignorance, be it recommended workshop or not.

Hi all

Recently, my 6 years old BMW also have a coolant leak problem. I have to top up the coolant every day.

I dont want to spend too much on it, so i brought around to 2 kinds of workshop to get an estimate.

Initially, i bought to a mechanic mentioned in some forum, those that dont have a very pretty shop front and with old mechanics.

They said some host have broken down in the radiator and I need to replace the entire. He quoted me $550 for an OEM and $850 for an orginal replacement, inclusive labour.

I brought to a 2nd shop with a pretty shop front named KBS in Sin Ming, i had my BMW servicing there before.

They assessed and quoted me somewhere around $1100.

I was keen to take in the 1st shop when i bumped into a neighbour who was a mechanic. Try my luck, i also asked him to assess the damage.

To my surprise, he me one of the tubes in the radiator due to wear and tear broken, but he can fabricate a replacement.

The total damage was $150 and i got my car running again.

For those drivers that dont know much about car repair and maintenance, i think there are a lot of shops out there that are capitalising on our ignorance, be it recommended workshop or not.

You can even DIY for less than $10. Typically, the leak is due to corrosion. Remove the radiator, bring home and hose it down with clean water, sand affected area. Wait for it to dry completely. Buy A+B epoxy compound from hardware shop (less than $10), mix equally and putty over it.

Be careful with some w/s who will tend to seal up the affected pipe completely. This can result in overheating.

Edited by Kangadrool

Is the $70 radiator compatible brand? Can't be original right? Not saying that only original is good - I would have changed to compatible ones as long as they are of reasonable quality. For some makes, they don't manufacture their own parts. Almost everything is outsourced to Hella, Bosch, Febi, Wahler, Sometimes you buy original parts, you will see the original logo but also the OEM's logo at the back. These are the real OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturers.

how many hearts will i break for those BRAND LOVERS.

if i tell you, all those brands are only a STAMP on to what is so called made in china parts (OEM), (what ever you call it)

will you believe what i say?

so what brand you want? original HONDA, TOYOTA, SUBARU, TRD, ect

or HONDA + TOYOTA or TOYOTA + TRD

i can put them all in also, so now you tell me $70 is chiong or what?

i can tell you its made to fit the car and its just without a stamp for the brand. with the stamp i sell you 5 times the price, will you buy from ppl outside or go back agent?

i feel so sick when i look at AD's car parts, robbing car owners off and ppl still believe they get original parts.

↡ Advertisement