Changi Airport - World Best

Maxus-MIFA9

I wonder whether there has been any large-scale fire drill exercise at Changi airport done in the past. It's one of the busier airports in the world, so would they be willing to sacrifice downtime and inconvenience to passengers to simulate emergencies like yesterday's fire? 

In any case, it was not a huge fire and there was no major or widespread injuries/casualties, so that shows it's not as bad as it might be. 

The inconveniences caused to the affected passengers might well have been reduced/minimised if they had a good/better contingency plan, but it's of course a nightmare to plan for one - or many, catering to different extent of disruptions. The problem was of course the passengers that had to land or board at T2 after the fire broke out. If they were more kiasi, could the problem be less severe if, eg. they activated a diversion of flights to other airports right away? But that will transfer the problem to the affected airports (KL, Jakarta?).

Looks like they will have a real big project to ensure they are better prepared for any such incidents in the future...

Oh, 2 high-profile fires in one day. For a while, i was wondering whether it could be a co-ordinated terrorist attack  [sweatdrop]

No need divert to other country airport lah.

Can divert to Changi Air Base or Paya Lebar Air Base. Otherwise smaller jets can go to Seletar Airport too.

For the luggage thing, I think its a miscommunication between ground staff where the luggage to be transferred.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

As am emergency responder just wanna say two cents.

No amount of drills can simulate real life and in any emergency some chaos is expected. Of cos if there is planning the chaos is minimised and it will be obvious if there was a workable plan during an actual emergency.

Give praise where it's due. I am sure there will be reviews after this.

By the way if everything had gone very smoothly there will be conspiracy theorists who will claim that this was preplanned for an ulterior motive.

Two cents.

• Praise 6

Can divert to Changi Air Base or Paya Lebar Air Base. Otherwise smaller jets can go to Seletar Airport too.

For the luggage thing, I think its a miscommunication between ground staff where the luggage to be transferred.

I also thought of that. But apart from Seletar, are the other 2 even accessible easily by public transport or cabs? Then there is luggage issue/handler issue, plus all the admin like check-ins, immigration, custom, etc.

Even Seletar (as i know it from a flight 20 yr ago, but which should be much improved now), might not be able to handle even a fraction of Changi's load bah...

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

Changi airbase no more already.. It has make way to T5 which is on its construction phase..

Oops.. Still got changi airbase.. .. Apologies for my error..

post-14834-0-21335800-1494983652_thumb.png

Edited by Yewheng

No amount of drills can simulate real life and in any emergency some chaos is expected. Of cos if there is planning the chaos is minimised and it will be obvious if there was a workable plan during an actual emergency.

By the way if everything had gone very smoothly there will be conspiracy theorists who will claim that this was preplanned for an ulterior motive.

Two cents.

Agree with your fair point to certain extend.

In emergency situations, eg in military and in medicine, these organisation train and be prepared for every possible situation even if the situation is deem impossible. Otherwise we would have wasted all the billions invested especially in our military. I believe places like airports are similar. They must train in a similar scenario like a terrorist attack.

Criticisms are not meant to belittle or be ungrateful for the job done but more a way to improve our system. Complacency is the mother of all disasters.

• Praise 14

Twincharged

In emergency situations, eg in military and in medicine, these organisation train and be prepared for every possible situation even if the situation is deem impossible. Otherwise we would have wasted all the billions invested especially in our military. I believe places like airports are similar. They must train in a similar scenario like a terrorist attack.

Criticisms are not meant to belittle or be ungrateful for the job done but more a way to improve our system. Complacency is the mother of all disasters.

Ya my posting are just post of the shortcomings that could be improved further.. There are always room for improvement especially dealing with emergency situations..

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

A fire can occur anywhere but it is more likely to

happen in a place where there is operating machinery

that gets hot like the aircon equipment room. I wonder

if building designers put more sprinklers and detectors

in these areas or all areas just have the 10 foot apart

sprinklers?

Anyone in the building industry can comment?

:D  

Hypersonic
(edited)

Lucky we are never complacent

I always hear this so it must be true.  [thumbsup]

:D

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1

I also thought of that. But apart from Seletar, are the other 2 even accessible easily by public transport or cabs? Then there is luggage issue/handler issue, plus all the admin like check-ins, immigration, custom, etc.

Even Seletar (as i know it from a flight 20 yr ago, but which should be much improved now), might not be able to handle even a fraction of Changi's load bah...

For the two air bases, I not sure, never been there. But I know VVVIP use Paya Lebar instead of Changi.

If you want VIP treatment, another part of Changi also have such facilities. Just pay extra.

http://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-experience/attractions-and-services/jetquay-cip-terminal.html

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Two cents.

As usual lah. Forum is for the keyboard worriers to slam people.

I fly our from T1.

Very quiet. Very peaceful. People inside dont even aware next terminal is closed.

I gave myself extra hour, anticipating Long queue and delay. What passport verification slow down.

No. All fake news.

Took me 15 mins to get to restricted area from alighning Uber taxi.

Changi, the Bestest.

• Praise 3

For the two air bases, I not sure, never been there. But I know VVVIP use Paya Lebar instead of Changi.

If you want VIP treatment, another part of Changi also have such facilities. Just pay extra.

http://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-experience/attractions-and-services/jetquay-cip-terminal.html

wah, VVVIP spotted...

I went to Paya Lebar airbase. Took a flight there in i think P2, to KL.

Then more than a decade later, took a C130 there to kanchanaburi.

i think cannot handle passengers for commercial flights (anymore)...

wah, VVVIP spotted...

I went to Paya Lebar airbase. Took a flight there in i think P2, to KL.

Then more than a decade later, took a C130 there to kanchanaburi.

i think cannot handle passengers for commercial flights (anymore)...

Nah........Was a BMW chauffeur for one of the Asean Minister Meeting. So have to learn the routes to pick up the various ministers that are flying in. From their own private jet to budget airlines(Budget terminal when it was still around). Need to know where to drive to pick them up.  [laugh]

Can apply to be VVIP? I flew from Paya Lebar Airport .... in 1979. [laugh]

i flew there mid-late 70s too, but forgot the yr. Maybe we were on the same flight  [laugh]

only remember the big wall with some mosaic pattern tiles. Then in NS went there still saw the wall...

Nah........Was a BMW chauffeur for one of the Asean Minister Meeting. So have to learn the routes to pick up the various ministers that are flying in. From their own private jet to budget airlines(Budget terminal when it was still around). Need to know where to drive to pick them up.  [laugh]

wah this type lobang? 

good $$ or not?

and the cars are new one huh? After the event, got cheap sale or not?

Which country minister so frugal take budget airline?

• Praise 1

wah this type lobang? 

good $$ or not?

They advertise on papers looking for drivers.

No good $$$, $8/hr. Then must deduct CPF. I do one time enough liao. They ask me go back for other events(like F1), I reject.

Us, chauffeurs where got money to buy those cars? Its the 730i. Somemore we turn on engine and sleep in car, idle engine for 4-6hrs a day. Fly over speed hump. High rev the engine once in a while.

Vietnam. The minister flew in using budget airline. [lipsrsealed]  My assignment was PNG minister. The wife like to go Mustafa. [laugh]

• Praise 1

They advertise on papers looking for drivers.

No good $$$, $8/hr. Then must deduct CPF. I do one time enough liao. They ask me go back for other events(like F1), I reject.

Us, chauffeurs where got money to buy those cars? Its the 730i. Somemore we turn on engine and sleep in car, idle engine for 4-6hrs a day. Fly over speed hump. High rev the engine once in a while.

Vietnam. The minister flew in using budget airline. [lipsrsealed]  My assignment was PNG minister. The wife like to go Mustafa. [laugh]

Wah, now it's bmw abuser spotted  [laugh]

what did pml do with the cars after the event? VW SE had called me before to ask if i was interested to get their sharan after some event, at a discounted price. Said clocked <1k.

long time (~12 yr) ago, an ex-colleague said his daughter found lobang for i think merc to register a car in her name, at a discounted rate, and the fleet of cars was for some event too. Then officially hand over only after the event, and can sell off at a decent profit, at a price that is still lower than new cars... But i thought need wait some mth before a new car is eligible for transfer...

Hypersonic

Can apply to be VVIP? I flew from Paya Lebar Airport .... in 1979. [laugh]

Hope you have collected / recieved the PG card  :D by now 

i flew there mid-late 70s too, but forgot the yr. Maybe we were on the same flight  [laugh]

only remember the big wall with some mosaic pattern tiles. Then in NS went there still saw the wall...

wah this type lobang? 

good $$ or not?

Another PG card holder spotted  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Another PG card holder spotted  [laugh]

boh lah... i was either going to start pri sch or in lower pri sch then. My father was a tour guide then, so sometimes got lobang for cheap air tickets or hotel stays. That was the only time i sat in a plane before NS.

Supersonic

Wah, now it's bmw abuser spotted  [laugh]

what did pml do with the cars after the event? VW SE had called me before to ask if i was interested to get their sharan after some event, at a discounted price. Said clocked <1k.

long time (~12 yr) ago, an ex-colleague said his daughter found lobang for i think merc to register a car in her name, at a discounted rate, and the fleet of cars was for some event too. Then officially hand over only after the event, and can sell off at a decent profit, at a price that is still lower than new cars... But i thought need wait some mth before a new car is eligible for transfer...

Next time wanna buy a merc or bmw, wait for these kinds of events then apply to be the driver. 

After the event, you can safely buy that same car because you can confirm it hasn't been abused! As good as new type lol.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2